GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    Pretty happy with my workout today
    Today was the start of week 6, so close to end of my 7 week cycle.

Doing squats at 90% of my 1RM and even though i could have hit better depth, this still felt pretty good.
    Definatly not perfect form, since my upper body shifted forward, but the weight itself moved pretty good

This was my second set of 4 out of 3 sets.
    88l3npbokx7s.gif

Good work Gus! You have a lotta plates on that bar! You're killing it!
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options

Doing squats at 90% of my 1RM and even though i could have hit better depth, this still felt pretty good.
    Definatly not perfect form, since my upper body shifted forward, but the weight itself moved pretty good

88l3npbokx7s.gif

Good work Gus! You have a lotta plates on that bar! You're killing it!

Thank you Sandy.
    Basically 2x25kg plates on each side, but since i do not wanna hog the 25 plates form other squat racks, its 15and 10
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Boggles my mind when I see people train bench, squats and deadlifts on the same day. Sure, they are all together on competition day, but train together? I get tired just THINKING about it! lol
    This is pretty common in beginner programs. With consistency you train out of it pretty quickly though.

Yeah, I trained like that for a while when I first started, doing full body 3x/week. Logistically, the sessions got too long and I switched to a 4 day, and eventually a 6 day split.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Basically 2x25kg plates on each side, but since i do not wanna hog the 25 plates form other squat racks, its 15and 10

I also adjusted my workouts to not steal all the plates, especially on leg press. My bench press numbers are nothing to write home about (though it's getting there...set a new "theoretical" 1RM today when I hit 6 reps on my current 5x5 weight). But my legs are uber strong, always have been. Hasn't helped me in the deadlift due to lower back form breaking, but back when I was a powerlifter I got my squat up to 485 (just shy of that fifth plate per side), and my leg press calls for 10 plates per side for reps. Not only does that take a LONG time to warmup to, but I was harvesting plates from all the stations around me, which on busy days made for lots of grouchy stares. So I swapped to doing one-leg leg presses with only 4 plates per side.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,132 Member
    Options

88l3npbokx7s.gif
    Congrats Gus. Looked strong brother.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Just focusing on getting to the gym regularly for now... Doing a total body ish set.

Moving decent volume and still getting in bench, squat, deads and ohp.

Felt better today than Sunday, so maybe my body won't hate me too long for neglecting it! Lol
    cyts9mc8hzum.gif

• kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,132 Member
    Options
    Just focusing on getting to the gym regularly for now... Doing a total body ish set.

Felt better today than Sunday, so maybe my body won't hate me too long for neglecting it! Lol
    cyts9mc8hzum.gif

Looks like a great workout!
    Options

cyts9mc8hzum.gif

YES! Doing good work Sandy
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

Looks like a great workout!

Thanks Chris!

YES! Doing good work Sandy

Thanks Gus!

It felt pretty good overall :) May play around a bit from week to week with reps / sets / weight, but at least this is some kind of work, and I definitely feel it.

Though I sure could use a nap. zzzzzzzzzz

• nossmf
    Options
    Loved watching you grind through those last couple reps, you would not be denied!

Reminds me of a story about Henry Cavill when he was first cast as Superman. In the gym bulking up for the role, at the end of a long leg day session, he's finishing his final set of front squats. Final rep of the entire day, he descends into the hole, and is simply stuck there, no going up, can't go further down, stuck. Most guys would've simply dropped the weight and called it a day, but not him: he grunted and sweated for almost a minute, before through sheer force of will he MADE his legs obey him and ground out that final rep to standing. Director happened to be there that day, saw the whole thing, shook his head and said that was the most Superman-esque thing he'd ever seen, and he knew he'd made the right casting decision from that point on.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Loved watching you grind through those last couple reps, you would not be denied!

Reminds me of a story about Henry Cavill when he was first cast as Superman. In the gym bulking up for the role, at the end of a long leg day session, he's finishing his final set of front squats. Final rep of the entire day, he descends into the hole, and is simply stuck there, no going up, can't go further down, stuck. Most guys would've simply dropped the weight and called it a day, but not him: he grunted and sweated for almost a minute, before through sheer force of will he MADE his legs obey him and ground out that final rep to standing. Director happened to be there that day, saw the whole thing, shook his head and said that was the most Superman-esque thing he'd ever seen, and he knew he'd made the right casting decision from that point on.

That is such a cool story. I do often tend to bail before I probably need to, but last night I didn't have the failure bars because there were two guys in the gym each squatting reps with 4 plates on each side. I kind of felt like I needed to push through. Plus I know I have it in me, if I'm not lazy. LOL

I cannot get over how strong some people are. I just cannot fathom it.
  • nossmf
    Options
    There's always somebody stronger. Other day I felt great on bench press hitting every rep of my 5x5x255...provided I ignored the guy on the bench next to me knocking out sets of 10 at 315.

Just remember, though...YOU are the "somebody stronger" for someone else. You may never know you are an example for another person, but they see your strength...maybe lifting heavier than them, maybe grinding through reps rather than quitting, maybe simply being there, focused and ready.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options

Just remember, though...YOU are the "somebody stronger" for someone else. You may never know you are an example for another person, but they see your strength...maybe lifting heavier than them, maybe grinding through reps rather than quitting, maybe simply being there, focused and ready.

This is so so true.

I try not to compare myself to others in the gym, and especially here on MFP, where people post workouts I hungrily compare myself to. It’s insanely difficult not to, though. Maybe decades of comparing my obese self to others has created a little green monster inside.

But every time I kick myself for not accomplishing this or that in the gym, or keeping up what I see others do, someone catches me in the dressing room and says “You are such an inspiration”.

It’s so weird and still unfamiliar to be called that.

You’ll also know people are silently watching when you catch them doing unique things you do. I have super loose hips, and frequently do single leg reps on the leg press in figure-4 position. I’m seeing other people try them now.

My bench sucks. My squats are demi. But I get decent results and by heavens, I try. Every time I’m working out, I give it everything I’ve got. Doesn’t matter if I’m The Best. I’m just trying to be the best I can be.

I like being a Tryer and not a Quitter.

Doesn’t keep me from being jealous of yall though. 😗
  • nossmf
    Options
    Trying to envision this figure-4 leg press. Are you bending your right leg at the knee, placing the right foot on your left knee, and then doing leg presses with your left leg? I also do one-leg presses, but with the non-working leg simply held down out of the way, not turned into a pretzel! I can barely cross my legs at the ankles, let alone do what I think you're describing!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Trying to envision this figure-4 leg press. Are you bending your right leg at the knee, placing the right foot on your left knee, and then doing leg presses with your left leg? I also do one-leg presses, but with the non-working leg simply held down out of the way, not turned into a pretzel! I can barely cross my legs at the ankles, let alone do what I think you're describing!

Yep, ankle over knee, and press, flattening folded leg to chest.

Lotsa yoga.

I can get my foot behind my head, too, but haven’t tried that on the leg press . Yet. 🤣

OTOH, I have very little shoulder mobility. My trainer makes me simply press my back to a wall and make kinda swimming motions up and down. She says it’s the only thing I’ll actually complain about. Absolutely agonizing.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

This is so so true.

I try not to compare myself to others in the gym, and especially here on MFP, where people post workouts I hungrily compare myself to. It’s insanely difficult not to, though. Maybe decades of comparing my obese self to others has created a little green monster inside.

But every time I kick myself for not accomplishing this or that in the gym, or keeping up what I see others do, someone catches me in the dressing room and says “You are such an inspiration”.

It’s so weird and still unfamiliar to be called that.

You’ll also know people are silently watching when you catch them doing unique things you do. I have super loose hips, and frequently do single leg reps on the leg press in figure-4 position. I’m seeing other people try them now.

My bench sucks. My squats are demi. But I get decent results and by heavens, I try. Every time I’m working out, I give it everything I’ve got. Doesn’t matter if I’m The Best. I’m just trying to be the best I can be.

I like being a Tryer and not a Quitter.

Doesn’t keep me from being jealous of yall though. 😗

You inspire the heck out of me! I look at your posts and committment, eating habits... and just plain awesomeness and I want to be like you when I grow up! Don't ever doubt your impact! <3
  • nossmf
    Options
    I used to have a lot more shoulder mobility than I do today. Right up until I tore something in both shoulders trying for a 1RM bench press when I wasn't ready for it. Doc said I didn't need surgery, just rehab, but ever since that day my arms are limited to anything from 90 degrees out and forward... nothing behind my back. Makes overhead presses challenging, completely prevents me from doing any Olympic lifts or overhead squats, and makes it sometimes difficult to reach an itch between my shoulder blades. (My wife gave me a gag gift of an extendable back scratcher one Christmas, and I swear I get more use out of that thing than anything else she's ever given me!)
  • nossmf
    Options
    In looking back over the last few responses, I really should add regular stretching into my day. Back in college when I studied martial arts I could (almost) do a full split. Today...not so much. lol
    Options
    There's always somebody stronger. Other day I felt great on bench press hitting every rep of my 5x5x255...provided I ignored the guy on the bench next to me knocking out sets of 10 at 315.

This is so true. I try not to compare myself to others, especially when it comes to upper body strenght.
    I see these kid's do 10 pull ups in the gym and i am like "I wish i could do 1 pull up" But then i see them do 40kg squats with trouble and i am proud of my squats

The only competition is the person you look at in the mirror, and sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.
    When i look at my workouts from 2 years ago, i have improved so much, yet i am still not satisfied
    I used to have a lot more shoulder mobility than I do today. Right up until I tore something in both shoulders trying for a 1RM bench press when I wasn't ready for it. Doc said I didn't need surgery, just rehab, but ever since that day my arms are limited to anything from 90 degrees out and forward... nothing behind my back. Makes overhead presses challenging, completely prevents me from doing any Olympic lifts or overhead squats, and makes it sometimes difficult to reach an itch between my shoulder blades. (My wife gave me a gag gift of an extendable back scratcher one Christmas, and I swear I get more use out of that thing than anything else she's ever given me!)

Get into bowling again, great for shoulder mobility as well