Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited January 20
    Options
    So sad to hear and know that recycling is not available to everyone. How are we supposed to protect and clean Mother Earth without that program?
    A couple of months ago I searched online for places to recycle undies and garments that are not good or accepted for donation. In the process I learned that there are programs that allow us to donate underwear, so I printed some information.
    FAB Scrap, located in NY wants to reduce fabric waste and can pick up the scraps/undies from your home. I live in California, but it would be a good thing for some of you living in that state.
    The North Face's Clothes the Loop has a recycling program for clothing and shoes, but since they also sell good clothing, you need to be part of the "club" to get $10 reward for the donation when you purchase $100 or more worth at their store or online. Not convenient for me since I don't wear heavy winter clothing.
    Knickey also has a recycling program for underwear, socks, bras, etc. and for $5 we can purchase a recycling and shipping label. I need to get more information about it, because I would like to take advantage of this offer.
    SOMA (sister of White and Black Market and CHICO), accepts gently used bras and you can get a discount on a new purchase.
    But I need to find a place where I can donate any used items for recycling only. I think that is called “textile recycling.” I don't want any coupon or money; I just need to keep some items that are no longer wearable away from the trash can, bur so far I haven’t found anything in my area. Keep you posted.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    [quote="StayFITTer;

We don’t have recycling in my city and it broke my heart that I declutterred a lot of glass jars I WAS going to repurpose and reuse. My future self was going to do some cool amazing things but I couldn’t continue to let her rob my current self the joy of freeing up drawer space for my husband, so I can reclaim and free up other areas in my home. [/quote]

We don't really have glass recycling anymore either. We have rather inconvenient public bins that collect the glass to be made into sand, which is better than nothing I suppose, and still probably better than shipping the recyclables across the ocean to foreign countries to recycle, which is what most cities in the US currently do. Therefore reusing and donating is better all the way around.

In regard to jars, if any of us have a lot of them it might be worthwhile advertising them on a swap forum or neighborhood site like NextDoor. I recently had some stuff to get rid of and didn't want to haul it all the way to the local Goodwill so I described what it was in the free section, set it neatly by my alley, and it was gone within an hour. Some people look for things to upcycle so it might be worthwhile checking to see if anyone can use the jars.
  • StayFITTer
    StayFITTer Posts: 630 Member
    edited January 20
    Options
    @Sand_TIger

My husband tossed the bag of jars the same day I collected them.

Freecycle type sites sound great, and as much as I desire to “save” potentially useful items and the planet—I’m in a season where I need it gone and coming to terms I value space. There is a cost to keeping stuff—sometimes it’s emotional, mental and physical. Letting go is a practice. I’m here for it.

I will say this I AM trying to recycle crayons. I read that Staples accepts them—but the locations near me are 30 mins away! So I’m trying to redeem myself on this play—might have to box them up and ship them.

@Gisel2015 Thanks for the resources but I’m with you, I need someone who can take any clothing…I’m getting to the point that I’m gonna give thrift stores everything and trust that they will dispose of items that can’t sell ethically (like it says on their website.) Some places actually wants the clothes no matter the condition for recycle purpose—just wish I knew for sure what the places are.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I have a TV that I need to recycle. It's ridiculous. I wish it was a free service. I'm in Texas. It's $35 to recycle a large TV at Best Buy, paying for labor, and I'm probably going to pay it and trust that it will get done properly. I've done it once before.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @StayFITTer I love that you're trying to recycle the crayons!!! I was a long term substitute teacher in a kindergarten classroom last school year and five-year-olds love to throw away crayons for any reason to include even laziness, that's it easier to toss it in the trash can than it is to actually put it in its designated spot. I often dug things out of the trash. Sadly, older kids are not often much better.

My son's preschool teacher melted crayons into hearts last year as gifts to the kids. I'm sure she collected broken crayons, super cute idea and good use of "waste."
  • StayFITTer
    edited January 21
    Options
    @LoveyChar
    Honestly—that’s why we had so many! I even bought a reverse alphabet mold because we did it once with a regular mold and some letters came out backwards. I swore my kids were going to do it again. It was so fun and rewarding. When the pandemic hit they were 3 & 6 at the time. So the PERFECT age to do that. Now my youngest is in 2nd grade and they are into all things video games and /YouTube—but he’s also artsy🤔. Keep you posted. We might have a Valentine’s Day project on our hands 😆

And sorry to hear about your TV situation. I have to deal with mine eventually. And the city doesn’t offer anything? I’m close to Detroit. I’m going to investigate—I know thrift stores only take flat screen.
  • StayFITTer
    Options
    @Gisel2015

Traveling mercies to you and enjoy your time away! Look forward to your return. We’ll keep the light on for you ;)
  • Gisel2015
    Options
    StayFITTer
    Thank you!
    I did check Staple online and they do accept many office staplers. That is good.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I have a TV that I need to recycle. It's ridiculous. I wish it was a free service. I'm in Texas. It's $35 to recycle a large TV at Best Buy, paying for labor, and I'm probably going to pay it and trust that it will get done properly. I've done it once before.

I've encountered that too! The really sad thing is, many times recycled electronics will go overseas where the metal is extracted by.... burning off all the plastic so the gold and such can be reclaimed. I really wish someone would find (and use) a better way than that.
  • Gisel2015
    Options
    I am back!
    Obviously not time to clean or organize much yet. However, a couple of days ago one of the drawers in the kitchen got off the track and my husband took it out to fix it. I noticed that the inside needed cleaning (cleaning the kitchen drawers is in my to-do list), so while he was fixing the problem I cleaned and wiped the bottom of the drawer and the lining and rearranged all the utensils. Not a big job, but something else that has been taken care of.
    My desk is full of the snail mail that I got while we were out. I already shredded many envelopes and brochures and I am now going thru the rest. I hope to be done this weekend. My husband is already working on the taxes, so next week I will have more paperwork to do. Ugh!!!
    Good job to everyone already taking care of donations and/or selling. I took a bag to the donation center last month, but if I decide to clean my closet more I will not have anything to wear. I am very small/petite so buying clothes online is a never-ending frustration followed by returns and going to the stores (sale racks!) is not fun either.
    @Celesteme I am very sorry for your loss and it was very nice to donate the guitar to his friend. I am sure that your sweetheart would be very happy watching him play from above.
    Happy Sunday everyone!
    G.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!