60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• BETTYLOVEY
    BETTYLOVEY Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im 63 suddenly my body is becoming a square .I’m trying to get some weight off. I have a bad knee but not at all ready for replacement. I need good tricks that can fill up my voracious appetite.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone! This thread has been slow, with a few spurts of conversation here and there. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and that we can keep checking in here and and supporting each other as we try to keep losing, or maintaining our health! I reached wonderland, for two whole days, then went backwards over the holidays. Back on track now, trying to lose those same forever pesky pounds. Hi to all the new people!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    Happy New Year everyone! This thread has been slow, with a few spurts of conversation here and there. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and that we can keep checking in here and and supporting each other as we try to keep losing, or maintaining our health! I reached wonderland, for two whole days, then went backwards over the holidays. Back on track now, trying to lose those same forever pesky pounds. Hi to all the new people!

Hang in there, Suz. I did the same thing starting last summer - gained 20 pounds over 6 months. Back on the program now. I want to see Onederland again, too!
  • sandramarshall200
    sandramarshall200 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone. I’m going to try andpost more often.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    @ridiculous59 TRUTH!!
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    Hear, hear! Well stated, @ridiculous59.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Good luck folks and remember to be positive everyday or try to find something to be be positive for.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    ... I like walking but this time of year with icy sidewalks I don’t get out as much. Occasionally I am doing mall walks and an exercise program on YouTube…which helps but I hate exercising. ...

Welcome to the group.

One thing that helped me is find things I like to do and work those into the daily routine. I have a dog that needs daily exercise, too. I tell myself, "You need to take the dog for a walk." The hardest part is getting both feet on the floor. Once I'm moving, everything else falls into place. I skip some days, too, because of weather related issues, but the dog won't let me slack off for too long.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    Options
    @SweetHeart299, along the lines of what @alteredsteve175 is suggesting, there's a whole thread here where many MFP-ers share their ideas for increasing daily life movement without adding much more time-demand to their day:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 - thank you for the link re: NEAT activities. I'm going to focus on including more of that in my day. Lol - I always try to be more efficient in my movements, but now I realize I actually ought to intentionally be doing the reverse.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1[/quote]

• BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    bethe wrote: »
    AnnPT77 - thank you for the link re: NEAT activities. I'm going to focus on including more of that in my day. Lol - I always try to be more efficient in my movements, but now I realize I actually ought to intentionally be doing the reverse.

I was the same, saved things to carry upstairs for one trip, etc and while I'm not embracing a 'one item at a time on purpose ' lifestyle, I am certainly more willing to make extra trips in the moment and just be more fidgety in general. And pace more when the opportunity presents 😆.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    edited January 25
    Options

I was the same, saved things to carry upstairs for one trip, etc and while I'm not embracing a 'one item at a time on purpose ' lifestyle, I am certainly more willing to make extra trips in the moment and just be more fidgety in general. And pace more when the opportunity presents 😆.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

LOL! There's a fine line, maybe, between obsessively pursuing inefficiency, and just trying to move a little more in spare moments?

I can't put my finger on a cite just now, but I've seen some research suggesting that people who tend toward overweight also tend toward more . . . placidity? . . . of movement in daily life, i.e., not as fidgety, not as physical, that sort of thing - and that that continues even after they lose weight. To me, that implies that an intentional bias toward movement is a strategy we can use to our benefit to create life change. Small stuff adds up.

I'm glad that you liked the thread. If you have extra ideas, please post them there!
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My mother who was a fit, slender woman didn't rake the leaves in her small yard. She picked them up!
    I think she was just energetic and bored. I am also energetic bored but won't go out and pick up leaves. I literally live in a forest.