Let's Talk Pro-Chocolate: Real Kinds We Like, How We Eat/Use Them

Options
1234568»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Y'know, I posted this on the cheese thread, but I think I should post it here, too. It is soooo good: I went back and bought more, have been eating an ounce (+/-) most every day since.
    The word "decadent" on the label is IMO not an oversell. It's not super-sweet, but it is very rich. Other so-called chocolate cheese I've had is like dense fudge. This has a texture like other goat cheese, but a lovely chocolate cherry flavor.

(Apologies for the fuzzy photos; you get the idea.)

42wu78sb7h2n.jpg
    n0pn2bous06h.jpg

The ingredients are non-fake-y: Goat cheese (goat's milk, salt, enzymes), semi sweet chocolate chips (cane sugar, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter), honey, dried cherries (cherries, cane sugar, rice flower, sunflower oil), cocoa (processed with alkali), natural flavor (which I'd bet includes cherry, because there's a noticeable but not overwhelming flavor of cherry). It's 5g added sugar per ounce of cheese, as if I cared, and 90 very worthwhile calories. ;)[/quote]
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had chocolate on my grocery list the last couple weeks. I kept looking at the aisle, but being the thrifty shopper I am, I knew I could wait until it went on sale. Today I stopped by a store for the last day a "ten bucks off if you spend forty" coupon was going to expire. I got coffee and beets and some staples that will last on the shelf and some yogurt and... some chocolate was half off. It's that season ya know. I got one of the Chocolove bars. Because someone reminded me that if I buy the kind with salted almonds or whatever, every gram of almond is a gram of NOT CHOCOLATE. So I just got the "Extra Strong" 77% cocoa bar. They make an "Extreme" bar with 88% cocoa. I figured maybe there's less arsenic in the 77% bar. I've had them. They are quite tasty. I wonder when I'll bust into it.

I also "had" to buy chocolate flavored protein powder (whey isolate). They have been out of the "natural" flavor of the brand I buy. It's still flavored but just a little vanilla. This stuff I bought has some sugar and chocolate flavor. I bet it will be quite tasty, and a little extra sugar probably won't hurt me since I really don't eat much at all. Well except this chocolate bar I just bought. And that really good coffee I had yesterday. One small bonus is that it has more minerals, presumably from the cocoa.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited January 27
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    We don't seem to have a chocolate thread - at least not a recent one - though many people seem to like chocolate, and continue to eat some while losing weight and/or maintaining. From reading, it seems like a common strategy is to go to higher-quality chocolate, in smaller portions.

This is a thread to talk about great, amazing, wonderful chocolate that we actually personally have eaten or now eat. (I don't want it to become a repeat of the "If it didn't have calories, right now I would eat" thread, so let's stay away from random drool-y aspirational photos of chocolate pulled from the web, OK? Stick with chocolates you consume or have consumed, would recommend to others.)

But this is a pro chocolate thread, about enjoyment of chocolate. Personal chocolate-based recipes are welcome - ones you've made, liked.

To be clear, this is also not a thread for people who think chocolate is the devil, sugar is the devil, think we should never eat those, want to argue about chocolate addiction, blah blah blah. There's nothing wrong with those opinions, but this is not the thread for them, and I will flag/report any posts of that nature as a derailment of the thread (against Community Guidelines (https://www.myfitnesspal.com/community-guidelines). Anti-chocolate views are valid, but not welcome here.

If the thread as a whole turns into a grump-magnet, I will request it be deleted. Play nice, K?

Post your personal chocolate favorites, with photos if you have them, and talk about why they're great. I'll add my current absolute fave real soon now.

Aldi's Dark Chocolate Dessert Hummus tastes like frosting and has protein.

I like the CarbMaster Chocolate Milk. Lactose free, with protein, low carb--and it tastes wonderful

Hot Chocolate.

And to be honest, I like just a plain Hershey's bar, tootsie rolls, and a brownie right from the oven.

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    erwzpb0qxyn2.jpg

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Well...

I didn't open the chocolate bar, but I did make another "Choffee Decaf" to enjoy while I read a couple chapters before bed.

Mmmmm.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Ooooh yes... Chocolove is my go-to. Ironically I get it from H & W Produce. They also stock a small selection of local things, hard to find things, and specialty things in one corner of the store, and there it is. I usually have a bar of the almond/toffee/sea salt in dark chocolate one in my lunch bag for work. 3 squares of that is enough to keep me away from the cheap bars in the vending machine.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Y'know, I posted this on the cheese thread, but I think I should post it here, too. It is soooo good: I went back and bought more, have been eating an ounce (+/-) most every day since.
    The word "decadent" on the label is IMO not an oversell. It's not super-sweet, but it is very rich. Other so-called chocolate cheese I've had is like dense fudge. This has a texture like other goat cheese, but a lovely chocolate cherry flavor.

(Apologies for the fuzzy photos; you get the idea.)

42wu78sb7h2n.jpg
    n0pn2bous06h.jpg

The ingredients are non-fake-y: Goat cheese (goat's milk, salt, enzymes), semi sweet chocolate chips (cane sugar, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter), honey, dried cherries (cherries, cane sugar, rice flower, sunflower oil), cocoa (processed with alkali), natural flavor (which I'd bet includes cherry, because there's a noticeable but not overwhelming flavor of cherry). It's 5g added sugar per ounce of cheese, as if I cared, and 90 very worthwhile calories. ;)
    [/quote]

Wow! I bet that tastes awesome.. just had a blueberry goat cheese from Trader Joe’s and now I’m into all the creative goat cheese!

My latest go to for dark chocolate emergencies:
    Any other super dark chocolate lovers out there?

5obb0ae653i2.jpeg
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    The looks so good! https://youtu.be/iIC-ihUrCro?si=r-KaqZtxcDHIvOv8

I looked hot cocoa and love dates! I use coco powder and dates in recipes.

I would love a thick, solid piece of dark chocolate right now... lol. At home I have mini sugar free dark chocola5e chips I got from Sprouts bulk section. I keep them in fridge and pop a few when I want to have something.chocolatey
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I keep a stash of these handy for the post-dinner sweet tooth moment… they’re surprisingly good for 77 calories!
    bd9g8qht9eu2.jpeg
    2fo7ibsk5tsy.jpeg
    6ko4gvtbeluy.jpeg
    jjmjclrjf081.jpeg
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 30
    Options
    For me the perfect balance of dark and sweet:
    7expxw8sg0co.jpg