πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€***FEBRUARY 2024 WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE***πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Options

Replies

• nmpmmp
    nmpmmp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi. New here and new to challenges! Excited to be here! :)

February Start Weight: 140
    February Goal Weight:135
    Ultimate Goal Weight:125

February 1: 140
    February 8:
    February 15:
    February 22:
    February 29:

Let's do this!
    ~Nicole
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,837 Member
    edited February 2
    Options
    @deepwoodslady If all the calculators put you at around 65-66g per day, then I would go with that (maybe check with your doctor as well just to be sure).

I know that athletes or very physically active people often aim for the higher end of the recommended protein intake range, so those people you see pounding protein shakes might fall into that category. They might also be taller and heavier than you. They might be consuming extra protein for only a limited period of time, while they are "bulking" for body building purposes. What's right for someone else isn't necessarily best for you.

Last but not least, keep in mind that not everyone who posts on MFP is even doing what is best for their health. We're all here learning new things all the time (hopefully!), and people have different bodies and different goals. So I would generally start with the official scientific/medical recommendations, rather than what some random online stranger is doing.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,859 Member
    Options
    @deepwoodslady If all the calculators put you at around 65-66g per day, then I would go with that (maybe check with your doctor as well just to be sure).

I know that athletes or very physically active people often aim for the higher end of the recommended protein intake range, so those people you see pounding protein shakes might fall into that category. They might also be taller and heavier than you. They might be consuming extra protein for only a limited period of time, while they are "bulking" for body building purposes. What's right for someone else isn't necessarily best for you.

Last but not least, keep in mind that not everyone who posts on MFP is even doing what is best for their health. We're all here learning new things all the time (hopefully!), and people have different bodies and different goals. So I would generally start with the official scientific/medical recommendations, rather than what some random online stranger is doing.

@takinitalloff

All good advice. Thank you!
  • _sistaotey
    _sistaotey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    updated
    February Start Weight: 156.6
    February Goal Weight: 154
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 135

February 1: 156.6 . . . starting moderate weights low reps this month.I expect more reduction of inches than pounds. nxjcgszv4x7w.png

February 8:
    February 15:
    February 22:
    February 29:
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I need some help here.

What is on my mind: As a diabetic I want to protect my kidneys (protein is tough on them). However, as an older person over 60 and someone trying to lose weight, I want to protect my muscle.

When I google my recommended protein intake, all the calculators and manual mathematical calculations put me at about 65 or 66 grams per day. That seems low to me and so very easy to reach. And yet I read all the posts on so many challenges where people are eating protein bars, drinking protein shakes etc. trying to reach their goals. I'm confused. Even Harvard Medical School is recommending 65 gr per my weight.

I would love it if those of you that have time will chime in on this for me. I'm looking for your opinions as well as your knowledge and/or experience with it. I need to know if I should tweak my macros. Right now I have mine set for 25% which gives me grams that are often much higher than the recommendations.

Thanks for any help you guys can give. I am posting this on a couple of my challenges and look forward to any and all responses.

Donna

Can your physician refer to you a Registered Dietician? That would be really awesome. You could ask a lot of questions and get a lot of good solid guidance. Not just a nutritionist; anyone can be a nutritionist. Heck - I am one. An RD can help you set goals for protein and maybe other things that will help your health.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    Heaviest weight: 175.4 in early 2013.
    Original MFP starting weight (January 2018) - 168.2
    January 27 (Starting Weight): - 146.8 (10-day average 146.5)
    February goal - Get back to lower end of maintenance weight range.
    Ultimate goal - Range between 143 - 153

I report scale weight and (ten day average weight), and I post on Saturdays.

January 27: 146.8 (10-day average 146.5)
    February 3: 148.0 (10-day average 146.2)
    February 10:
    February 17:
    February 24:
    March 2:

Total loss for February: I am down 0.3 pounds this week and 9.5 for the year. My scale weight is actually up 3.6 pounds from yesterday because I had a food party. It's also up 2.2 pounds from last week, yet my average weight is still down just a bit. Whew. It will pass. It just sets me back a few days is all. Maybe another week. I won't do that again for a while. I feel poorly from it this morning.

This is the reason I like to weigh daily and ignore the number. Even if I just looked at the one-day numbers from last week and this week, it would look like I gained, but that would not tell the whole story. I'm still on a downward trend, and it's leveling off near my target/goal weight.

Stick to it!

• Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 509 Member
    edited February 3
    Options
    Hi everyone. I joined in January and oops it’s already February!

I’m 64 years young, love an active lifestyle, am 5’2” and looking to lower my BMI this year. This means another 7 lbs to go (I lost 10 last year with MFP).

February Start Weight: 146.9
    February Goal Weight: 143
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 139

February 1: 146.9
    February 8:
    February 15:
    February 22:
    February 29:
    (Leap year!)
  • reneweveryday
    reneweveryday Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Joining the challenge late.

February Goal Weight: 160.5

February 3: 163.5
    February 8:
    February 15:
    February 22:
    February 29:
    (Leap year!)
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,288 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @enlightenme3 !
    I'm Chris - 73 year old female...5'5" ...I used to be 5'7" but arthritis hit and I lost two inches, so now that two inches is squished around my waist like the billows of a big accordion...
    ...Oh, well. I'll just keep working on it.
    Heaviest: 192.2
    Round GW: 148.0
    UGW: 145.0
    February 01: 149.0 at 5:30 a.m. ...still sick
    February 05:
    February 12:
    February 19:
    February 26:
    February 29:
    (Leap year!)
    Good luck everyone!
    Chris
  • AllyNorth
    AllyNorth Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    A little late to join this week, but happy to rejoin. In January, I was focused on increasing my fibre intake. This month, I'm going to work on my protein. (I'm curious to know what other women over 50 have as a daily protein goal?)

February Start Weight: 145.8 pounds
    February Goal Weight: 141 pounds
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 135 pounds

February 1: 145.8
    February 8:
    February 15:
    February 22:
    February 29:

• _sistaotey
    _sistaotey Posts: 18 Member
    edited February 4
    Options
    gg8owbxrk558.jpg

@AllyNorth

Having read this book I no longer have protein goals per se. I do drink a plant protein drink 4-5 times weekly that has 25 grams of protein and 5 grams of fibre.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @AllyNorth and anyone else,

Take a moment and look up Arnold Ehret. He had some very bad ideas, among them are that eating rice causes leprosy and mental illness is caused by gas pressure on the brain. He created and sold a health product that turned out, after being investigated years after he died, to be fraudulent.
  • DLJ_77
    DLJ_77 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    5'3" almost 47 year old:

I have been around the same weight for a few years. Last year I really upped my exercise. I have a running coach and I ran two half-marathons and the Chicago Marathon. Much to my disappointment I didn't lose any weight (except about 6 pounds when I had COVID that I gained back).

I started this year motivated to make healthier choices and was then sidelined by bronchitis for most of January. Now I'm back to logging consistently and following my Coach's plan. I'm looking more at macros than I had before.

My partner is running Black Canyon 100K in AZ on Saturday, so I'll be crewing him. We leave NH for AZ on Thursday and will be going until 2/16 (hitting the Grand Canyon and Vegas too). I'm hoping I'm able to manage this trip and my goals...

February Start Weight: 182.1
    February Goal Weight: 176.1
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 130.0

February 1: 182.1
    February 8:
    February 15:
    February 22:
    February 29:
    (Leap year!)
  • deepwoodslady
    Options
    weight.png

My name is Donna. I am 63 years old and I live in the Midwest of the US. I am 5’ 5” tall. My highest weight was 253 in 2016. My MFP start weight was 235 in 2018. I will be continuing my weigh-in dates on Sundays. It helps keep me accountable on the weekends.

Start Weight (from Jan 31st ): 181.6
    Goal Weight: 177.6 (4 pound loss)

End of Challenge Weight: xxxxx
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 145-155 (I’ll know it when I get there!)

Weight in blue makes me blue because it’s a gain. Weight in fuchsia pink makes me feel cheery because it’s a loss. Weight in black means no change.

02/01-183.4-(Trend Weight: 183.0)- WTH? I did NOT expect this. Could it be the travel & restaurant from two days ago? Could it be the birthday celebration complete with cake/ice cream catching up? Could it be day 2 of no TMI? Could it be the worst sleep last night that I’ve had in years? Maybe it’s all one big ball of wax (or fat) all rolled up into one. In any case, I feel cheated when I probably shouldn’t. Looks like I’ll be spending much of this challenge chasing my own tail.

02/04-DNW-(Trend Weight: DNW)- I was awoken this morning by a surprise visitor so I didn’t remember to take my scale into the bathroom to weigh. It is likely that the scale is up due to the homemade chicken noodle soup and fluid retention from yesterday. It usually happens after I make that pasta-rich soup. I had more for lunch today since I had plenty to offer my visitor. I’ve been pushing water all day which I may also retain temporarily but is much needed to flush away the sodium eventually. I hope you all have been enjoying your Sunday wherever you are. Here in northern Michigan it hit the upper 40’s and was sunny and unusually warm and wonderful for an early February!

02/11-xxxxx-(Trend Weight: xxxxx)-

02/18-xxxxx-(Trend Weight: xxxxx)-

02/25-xxxxx-(Trend Weight: xxxxx)-

02/29-xxxxx-(Trend Weight: xxxxx)-

Every healthy habit brings me closer to scratching each of these off to NEVER see them again!
    250’s; 240’s; 230’s; 220's; 210's; 200's; 190's; 180’s; 170's; 160's; 150's
  • ronicaw57
    ronicaw57 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    @_sistaotey I went vegan and vegetarian for five months. I then fasted using the Daniel Fast. I believe in what you are doing. I dropped weight, and I am limiting meat once again several times a week. I take zero medications and got off insulin in October 2019. Last year we did a meatless month and I felt amazing. Keep it up sis! I definitely plan on limiting meat once again, as it has several health benefits for chronic illnesses.
  • FatboyLo103
    FatboyLo103 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know the official weigh-in entry is not until the 8th, but how did everyone handle the week? Winter is tough.
  • deepwoodslady
    Options
    I know the official weigh-in entry is not until the 8th, but how did everyone handle the week? Winter is tough.

@FatboyLo103 I have been having an absolutely HORRID week after doing so well for months. Since Christmas I have been going off the rails, off & on. It seems when I get sweets or bad carbs in my mouth all the cravings come back. I'm just not as strong as I would like to be yet. It actually feels like I am when I am doing consistently well, and then one bite of the wrong thing and I find out just how weak I still am. It's such a long road and sometimes I get weary. Today, however, I feel like maybe I can get back to it, so I am going to give it the old college try.

How has it been going for you this past week?
  • DLJ_77
    DLJ_77 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I feel good about things so far...really worried about my upcoming travel unraveling the little progress I've made. What about you?
  • mtaratoot
    Options

You can make your weigh-in day any day of the week you want. I report on Saturdays, so for February that means the 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th and again March 2. I actually weigh every day and ignore the number instead looking at the trend. I've been reporting here on Saturdays for years.

The week has been OK. I went off the rails a bit food wise, and the scale responded. It will moderate back down. It happens sometimes. I try not to let it affect me emotionally. The food I ate was tasty.
  • Wean_over_that_now
    Wean_over_that_now Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new and like the monthly challenges your doing so will try to participate as much as possible. I'm not great with computerized things and technology, by choice. I have no social media accounts so trying to navigate this app and figure out how to post things are a struggle but hope this works!

February Start Weight:236lb
    February Goal Weight:230lb
    Ultimate Goal Weight:140lb

February 3: 236lb
    February 8:
    February 15:
    February 22:
    February 29:
    (Leap year!