Trying Again...

Options
I am a 41yo Mom, with a busy daily life, working on getting back into it. I am one of the few who actually thrived during the pandemic - I adopted keto and lost 100 lbs, getting down to 232 lbs. Since abandoning the keto lifestyle, as it wasn't sustainable for me beyond a year, I have gained some weight back - thankfully not a lot, but still enough to be noticeable and frustrating. I am now back up to 254 lbs, and trying to get back on track with weight loss. My GW is 180. I'm focusing on a general protein-rich, moderate carb diet this time with a calorie deficit of about 750 - allowing myself wiggle room down to 500.

Just looking for some support buddies for the journey ahead, and if anyone had any pointers or lower calorie snack ideas, that'd be great too :)

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,344 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

If you haven't done so yet, check out some of the "Most Useful Posts" that are near the top of some of the discussion groups. You might find some insight there.
    Yes, it's good that you "only" put back 20% of the weight you lost back on. Some was almost destined to happen by coming off keto because carbs bring water with them when you eat them and they get stored as glycogen. I think it's four grams of water per gram of carb, so some of it is water.

Best tips I know are: Set reasonable but challenging goals, go slow, be consistent (stick to it), don't get frustrated if things are slower than you want, don't beat yourself up if you have a day when you don't meet your goals, and... STICK TO IT
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing only different a few years ago. Lost 60 pounds, gained back 20, said "whoa" and held steady a while, until I started losing again.
    If you've already lost 100 pounds (Woo-Hoo), we all know you can do it.
    Low-calorie snacks (I'm not a snacker)
    Frozen fruit - grapes, Berries, etc.
    Flavored cottage cheese bread (the consistency is kind of like angel food)
    Coffee with Flavored milk or sugar free syrups.
    Jerky
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Also a 41 yr old working mom:) Busy busy. I lost 20lbs 2 yrs ago and gained back 25 Oof! I'm down 8 since getting my *kitten* together in early Nov. I feel like it's coming off so slow, but I'm sticking with it and walking 5 days a week for at least an hour. It's a process, but finding healthy habits we can adopt for life will ensure the weight stays off this time.
  • jdubay1018
    jdubay1018 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am also 41 and after loosing 100+ lbs back in 2015 after my youngest was born I have somehow managed to gain back all of it and then some. Weight loss def has gotten harder for me after the 35 mark. But I am determined to turn it around. I like to describe myself as healthy obese because I am lucky enough not to have any weight related health issues. But my Nana is 78 and 300 lbs and completely dependant on full time care. I do not want that for my family. So making a change and going back to what I know works. Keeping track of calories and portions and moving more. So here I am!

SW: 270.1 (1/1/24)
    CW: 263.4
    GW: 180-200

Thanks for sharing this thread! I hope we can keep each other motivated and feeling supported.
  • jdubay1018
    jdubay1018 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello friends! Just wanted to jump on and share that I went to a yoga class yesterday which I haven't done in years and it felt great. I had 2 Epiphones. I like yoga because exercise in general makes me angry. Even just taking a walk and realizing I am out of breath makes me hate myself. But I was blessed with being flexible so yoga feels good and doesn't make me angry. 2nd reason, when I exercise I need to be distracted. I think is also related to reason #1. I have to get pir of my head or I get angry. So wearing headphones and watching a tv show/movie (last week I binged Twilight) helps me stay distracted. In Yoga I am so busy concentrating on my breath and making sure my shoulders are relaxed and my alignment is correct. It's so distracting on its own that I don't have time to be in my own head either.

That's my share! I would love for this to a space for us to share our wins and our struggles. Help to motivate each other but also support. I would love any kind of food hack you might have because food boredom is one of my downfalls. I have to try new things to stay interested in eating healthy/lower cal. I hope everyone in this group is doing well!
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi there! This month I turn 40. I am a mom of two teenage boys (18 and 16) and am currently 33 weeks pregnant with a little girl. After getting Covid I had a health scare. I was obese (217 pounds at 5'7"), had high cholesterol, fasting glucose of 113, fibromyalgia, degenerative disk disease, two bulging disks in my back, planters fascitis, and had had surgery on both of my knees for bad meniscus' (military life has that effect on people lol). I felt like death warmed over on a good day. Then long Covid hit...I felt like life was all down hill from there. I was stuck in my body. Didn't feel I had the energy to change anything. Did think I ever would again. At night I would have to use walls and furniture to support myself as I made my way to the bathroom because my feet back, knees hurt so bad! I spent a lot of time in bed too. It was horrible. But then I got blood work back after a routine check up. Covid had done a number on my kidneys (a blessing in disguise since it scared me straight) even though I wasn't hospitalized. They wanted to see me in 6 months to rule out or confirm a diagnoses of Chronic Kidney Disease. The Neophrologist wasn't too worried. Said in the note that high creatine numbers was normal in obese patients. But what I read was that my obesity was likely hurting my kidneys more. So I lost 48 pounds (if I remember right) in the next 6 months. I couldn't do Keto though because of my kidneys. Had to keep carbs lower because of my blood sugar, keep sodium and protein within a certain range due to my kidneys. So it was a balancing act for sure. But I got a clear bill of health in all areas at the next check up. I was still iver weight but even my kidney function jumped 25 points. My blood sugar was normal. My cholesterol was normal....I then asked my doc what she thought about my husband and I trying for a baby. She said, "Good for you!". Over the next year I continued to lose weight. Got down to 147 pounds (70 pounds total) before this pregnancy. I'm now up 35 pounds and have managed to maintain for the last 4-5 weeks. Got 7 more weeks to go...trying to maintain (not gain) that 35 pound gain for that time. Then get right back on losing baby weight ASAP so I can start life over again with my husband and little girl...healthy, energetic, and largely pain free. Two years ago I was looking down the hill of life to my eventual grave. Now, I might watch a daughter walk down the aisle instead! Balancing our health and weight while trying to be a mom full time is not easy. But I know you can do it and so can I. You are welcome to friend me. I'm not fluent in how to friend people on here. I also don't have ton of friends on here partly because I rarely accept male friend requests. I have found that those requests often get weird... (I'm not here for dating lol!). Anyway, I wish you much success and health!