No flirting, need free work out Apps.

Options
Please no flirting, no repeating messages, my husband feels im beautiful don’t need guys on here telling me that. Please just help me find free workout apps since I can’t currently walk outside. Any ideas.

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    edited February 8
    Options
    I've seen some flirting, some outrageous, some tame. It just comes with the territory of social media. As @cmriverside says... keep your profile locked down for friends only. Send out friend requests to people you relate to on the forums and if someone gets in that is overly flirty, just remove them from your friends list and carry on.

A lot of people have struggled with their self esteem due to weight issues and they crave the validation that comes from being told they look great, pretty, hot, etc. I used to be one of those (not so much anymore - now I get more of a rush from being told I'm strong AF haha).

You can also add a note to your profile, requesting people not flirt - but if they're using the mobile app, they won't likely see that anyways.

Anyhoo... best of luck finding what works for you. I've been on this site for over ten years (using the free version). It's a pretty cool place.

eta... before accepting friend requests, you can also check out their profile and friend's list. If they are male and only have female friends with sexy profile pics... that's a pretty good sign that they're not a good fit for you. :)
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If this has been a problem after just 3 posts, it may be more productive to vet your friend requests a little more carefully. It seems like that's usually where the problem is, not so much the boards themselves. I don't read the Chit Chat and Fun and Games boards to know the culture there, but it's not something I've ever seen as a problem on most of the boards. If someone is harassing you, you can flag the post and ask the moderators to step in.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    I've seen some flirting, some outrageous, some tame. It just comes with the territory of social media. As @cmriverside says... keep your profile locked down for friends only. Send out friend requests to people you relate to on the forums and if someone gets in that is overly flirty, just remove them from your friends list and carry on.

(snip for reply length)

Please don't just remove them. If you get unsolicited come-ons in private messages, on your timeline, etc., please take a screen shot, block them (there's a button), and REPORT THEM to MFP for inappropriate behavior.

If there's something inappropriate here in the Community, click on "Flag" under the problem post, then "Report" and pick a click-item reason from the list and add a note below, then submit. The moderators will review the post, possibly delete it, possibly take action against the person who posted if appropriate.

No one needs unsolicited flirting/come-ons. Reporting them helps protect others from this nonsense.

The MFP staff will take action on these people, sometimes even banning them entirely (depends on details). They will not reveal who reported. You can report through the help chat, by email to the support ID (attach that screen shot) or by private-messaging one of the MFP staff IDs in this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10028709/meet-our-community-team#latest

Be specific in your report.

I'm sure you'd guess this, but don't bother to report flirting in threads in Chit-Chat or Fun and Games that are clearly about flirting-type stuff. Like Riverside, I advise staying out of those topic areas 100% - even innocent threads - if you don't like flirting. I think there are guys who use those areas to find women to creep on.

I don't get a lot of come-ons, though I'm probably not in the main target demographic. I've had some. My profile says not to do that, but no one reads those. Weirdly, it seemed like I got more come-ons when my avatar was my li'l ol' lady face with gray hair and all, fewer since it's been my bare arm/shoulder so I've left the arm there for a long time. (Based on some thread responses, I think a few people don't notice my ID ("Ann"), and think from the photo that I'm male. :D Yeah, no.)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @kelleyp1024, what kind of workout app are you looking for: Strength training, calisthenics, dance, general cardio, some specific cardio such as running, mixed modes?

Does it need to be a literal app (like for your phone)? Do you want it to lead you through the exercises with video for each session, or just explain them? Do you want it to keep stats about your workouts? Etc.

If you're open to things other than apps, there's a good thread here about strength training programs others have appreciated:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

If online video is something that could work for you, people discuss many, many sources in this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10796095/what-youtube-workout-did-you-do-today#latest

That includes both varied cardio and strength workouts. There are some pretty extensive programs, like the Leslie Sansone indoor walking workouts. (I'm mentioning that one not because she's super-special, but because you mentioned walking . . . but a lot of people here seem to like her workouts, especially if beginners.)

I'm probably not your best person to make recommendations on this topic, but I think if you can be a little more specific there might be some other suggestions. If you're not sure, that's fine, of course!

For myself, I track workout stats via my fitness tracker, use a personalized strength training routine because of some specifics of my situation. I track strength workout details/progress with a small notebook (that works better for me than my phone - I'm an antique who got the notebook habit a couple decades ago). When I'm cardio training with technical intention, I use a periodized training plan that came from my coach. I've used videos in the past, but mostly before YouTube got robust. I've done some online workouts more recently, but don't use those regularly.

Best wishes!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Welcome and I hope you find what your looking for.
    I'm happily married and this isn't a dating site or is it! lol
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone ever tried to flirt with me. But then I'm a leaf sheep/slug. So I guess that keeps people away. There are the occasional cuddles though, because I know I am very cute 😅

But back on topic: what kind of equipment do you have? Do you want to do strength training or cardio?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Lol @ this thread, Really?.....
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I forgot about those entirely. I've Unfollowed them for years.
    I didn't even know someone could 'Follow' categories. I must have unfollowed them all on day 1.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Yes, really. A few men being total creepers is a thing almost anywhere online, and any decent man would be shocked by some of the things that happen. Just because it's out of a person's view doesn't make it fictional. It can feel threatening. On rare occasions it actually is threatening.

There are a few women who are creepers, too, sure. Fishing scams, that sort of thing. I don't know how common that is.

Don't be naïve.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

I’ve blocked (and reported) three men in the last few weeks. I never normally accept friend requests but I accepted them, for some reason. The last one was a crotch pic. The other two were inappropriate messages. And I’m a middle aged old fart so yes - it DOES happen.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yes, really. A few men being total creepers is a thing almost anywhere online, and any decent man would be shocked by some of the things that happen. Just because it's out of a person's view doesn't make it fictional. It can feel threatening. On rare occasions it actually is threatening.

There are a few women who are creepers, too, sure. Fishing scams, that sort of thing. I don't know how common that is.

Don't be naïve.
    im not naive in the least Ann. If someone was worried about it they just don’t post a pic, this isn’t brain surgery. If you post pix of yourself and you’re decent looking you’ll need to expect attention and not be surprised and learn to deal with it. Welcome to social media

Starting a post out like that was a bit odd.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,275 Member
    Options
    It’s not brain surgery- men can think and act dumb. I don’t post often mostly because of the responses that I did get here.

Some people are jerks. Some of the jerks are men. Some men might be offended by you grouping all men in the same "jerk-space."
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    BTW, in what world are things like unsolicited crotch pics "attention" we should "expect" and "learn to deal with"? Good grief. Acting as if these guys' behavior is normal and to be expected is part of the problem.
    It was clear to me Tom was referring to the OP's strange choice of thread title. If you follow the quote chain you can confirm that. It does not look to me like Tom is saying that sending pics like you describe is normal behavior, and I think you owe him an apology.

Also I took "deal with" to mean reporting to moderators, or the police.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    BTW, in what world are things like unsolicited crotch pics "attention" we should "expect" and "learn to deal with"? Good grief. Acting as if these guys' behavior is normal and to be expected is part of the problem.
    It was clear to me Tom was referring to the OP's strange choice of thread title. If you follow the quote chain you can confirm that. It does not look to me like Tom is saying that sending pics like you describe is normal behavior, and I think you owe him an apology.

Also I took "deal with" to mean reporting to moderators, or the police.

I think you're interpreting this generously.

1agree that I may've interpreted Tom's "LOL at this post" inaccurately, and do apologize freely for that if that's the case.

I still think "If you post pix of yourself and you’re decent looking you’ll need to expect attention and not be surprised and learn to deal with it." is a pretty casual response to OP's concerns and experience and the follow-up posts.

I don't demonize all men, at least that's not my intention. There are lots of nice, supportive people here of all sexes - the overwhelming majority. I do think that decent humans of any type could express a little empathy for anyone who's been bruised by weird and inappropriate contacts online. I think this is a more common (and bizarre) irritant than those not experiencing it would suspect. It's not LOL-worthy.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 755 Member
    edited February 10
    Options
    I thought the post had a weird tone but only because I never get friend requests or send friend requests. I guess I put out an ugly or uninterested vibe lol.

However, what Anne wrote here couldn’t be more important. And it really repositioned my perspective because she’s absolutely right. Women doing normal things should not be seen as an invitation for men to do whatever they feel like doing to women. The idea of her having to remove her picture so as not to invite unsolicited pic messages is pretty appalling.

I still think "If you post pix of yourself and you’re decent looking you’ll need to expect attention and not be surprised and learn to deal with it." is a pretty casual response to OP's concerns and experience and the follow-up posts.

Sorry I don’t have workout app recommendations OP, dancing in the kitchen while my husband cooks is my preferred workout. GL!