GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    This thread needs to stay right here where I can comfortably lurk

Hopefully one day you’ll toss a gif in here 😁
    One day. I know everyone here is supportive & encouraging but I still feel weak & fat 🙄

Big hugs. We just need more people to post all types of stuff. If it would help, I can post some of my yoga poses to show how inflexible I am, and just how many rolls I hide with my miracle tights!

(I know you've seen them on my tiktok though! lol).

No matter what you do, how much you can lift, or how you look, I just want to celebrate the work you're doing with you. :heart:
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited February 16
    Options
    8jzcrvcm80ns.gif

Note... I actually put that sticker in the vid because the cellulite in that position was sooooo bad. 😳

I still cannot do a wide leg forward fold, but I used to not be able to sit upright even, so a bit of a fold is way better than before!
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    This thread needs to stay right here where I can comfortably lurk

Hopefully one day you’ll toss a gif in here 😁
    One day. I know everyone here is supportive & encouraging but I still feel weak & fat 🙄

Well, you feel that way, i am that way, so join the club 😇😉
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    @Minion_training_program that was awesome! I wager if you had done the 73kg before the attempts at 74kg, you would have made it, but by the time you went back to it there was too much accumulated fatigue.

@steveko89 maybe I'll pass you on the streets of Denver, since that's where I work! (Technically in the suburb of Aurora, but I take the interstate through Denver as part of my commute.)
  • nossmf
    Options
    My training program is a four-day per week PHUL, modified from online to include my favorite lifts:

Monday - Heavy Upper Body

BB Bench Press 5x5
    Machine Decline Bench Press 5x5
    Seated Cable Row 5x5
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 5x5
    Cable Woodchoppers (one set each high, mid, low)

Tuesday - Heavy Lower Body

BB Rack Pulls 5x5
    BB Hip Thrusts 5x5
    One-Leg Leg Press 5x5 <superset> Calf Extension on Leg Press 5x5
    Roman Chair Knee Ups 4x20

Thursday - Hypertrophy Upper Body

Incline BB Bench Press 3x10
    Flat DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Bent-Over Row 4x10 (two sets pronated, two sets supinated)
    Cable Pulldown 3x10 (one set each pronated, supinated, neutral-grip)
    Cable Lateral Raise 3x10
    Cable Face Pull 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x12 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x12 (5-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15 sec

Friday - Hypertrophy Lower Body

Squat 4x15
    BB Step-Up 3x12
    Leg Extensions 3x12
    Seated Leg Curls 3x12
    Seated Calf Extensions 4x15 <superset> Cable Crunch 4x10

In all cases, when I can complete all working sets for goal +1 rep for two consecutive workouts, I increase the weight.

Stats:
    Male, Age 46, BW 199.3lb (90.6kg)
    Lifetime PR:

Bench - 285 (129.5kg) - hoping to hit 315 (143.2kg) by my birthday in June
    Squat - 485 (220.5kg) - just missed that 5th large plate
    Deadlift - 405 (184kg)

I've been on a slow bulk since just before Thanksgiving, am up 20lbs (9.1kg) while still using the same notch on my belt, so think I'm doing it right. Hadn't really intended to go past 200, but as long as my bench keeps improving I'm gonna keep on feeding the machine to make it happen, at least until I get that magic third plate for one time in my life. Who knows? Maybe I'll try to get that fifth plate on squat as well, but probably not...when the bar is so heavy it's bending across your shoulders and you can literally feel your spine compressing, not sure I want to go back to that again. Even though the computer calculator says I should be able to hit 538 based on doing 365x15, I'm scared to try it!
  • nossmf
    Options
    Today's leg workout didn't quite hit the same high as last week's. For squat, I'm supposed to try to get 4x15, which I was able to do last week. This week just didn't feel quite up to it, so after warming up to working weight, I did 3x10 at full weight, then dropped the weight slightly for the last set, where I did get 15. The rest of the workout continued as scheduled.

The reason I mention this here is because some of the posters have mentioned, or I've inferred from your words, that you feel if you don't get absolute max production from every workout that you feel it's a failure. By that standard, my workout today was a failure.

But guess what? I was quite pleased with how today went. My legs felt strong, my joints gave me no troubles, I got to spend an hour in my own little Zen world focusing on ME instead of work or family. Even this "off" day would have qualified as an amazing day just a year ago.

You don't have to hit a new PR every time you workout. You just need to go, since by going you are light years ahead of the guy sitting on his couch. Even if the weight is lower, you may make an improvement in range of motion, or better form, better focus, or simply exercising your willpower muscle (it's real, it's located right next to the heart in most medical textbooks).

Give me a "disappointing" day at the gym over any day spent at the office or watching TV! Sign me up!
  • nossmf
    Options
    ...just don't sign me up for yoga! lol
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I’d also be interested in seeing the programs you guys write.

My program right now is based heavily on the Renaissance Periodization Men's Physique 6 day full body template. I was able to find an old spreadsheet of it floating around the internet a few years ago. I tried running it as written and it was too much volume to practically deploy at this phase of life, at least that version was. I pared it down to 3-4 sets, start with 85% 10RM and add 2.5% per week, RIR progress of 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, deload. I sometimes take a sixth week at 1RIR and 4 sets if I'm still feeling good after week 5. I also watch quite a bit of their youtube channel and really like Dr. Mike's approach. An older version of their diet template and cliffnotes from the RP Diet book is also the basis of my macro and meal timing plan.

My last 1RMs logged on 11/5/2023:
    Bodyweight: 171.2 lbs
    Height: 6'1"
    Back Squat: 335 lbs
    Deadlift: 405 lbs
    Bench Press: 275 lbs

405 was my lifetime PR for DL, I once hit 300 on bench a few springs ago but was very focused on doing so.

Nice, I really enjoy Dr. Mikes stuff. I essentially follow his philosophy when programming the number of working sets per muscle per week. 171 @ 6’1” is lean brother, great strength.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    My training program is a four-day per week PHUL, modified from online to include my favorite lifts:

Monday - Heavy Upper Body

BB Bench Press 5x5
    Machine Decline Bench Press 5x5
    Seated Cable Row 5x5
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 5x5
    Cable Woodchoppers (one set each high, mid, low)

Tuesday - Heavy Lower Body

BB Rack Pulls 5x5
    BB Hip Thrusts 5x5
    One-Leg Leg Press 5x5 <superset> Calf Extension on Leg Press 5x5
    Roman Chair Knee Ups 4x20

Thursday - Hypertrophy Upper Body

Incline BB Bench Press 3x10
    Flat DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Bent-Over Row 4x10 (two sets pronated, two sets supinated)
    Cable Pulldown 3x10 (one set each pronated, supinated, neutral-grip)
    Cable Lateral Raise 3x10
    Cable Face Pull 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x12 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x12 (5-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15 sec

Friday - Hypertrophy Lower Body

Squat 4x15
    BB Step-Up 3x12
    Leg Extensions 3x12
    Seated Leg Curls 3x12
    Seated Calf Extensions 4x15 <superset> Cable Crunch 4x10

In all cases, when I can complete all working sets for goal +1 rep for two consecutive workouts, I increase the weight.

Stats:
    Male, Age 46, BW 199.3lb (90.6kg)
    Lifetime PR:

Bench - 285 (129.5kg) - hoping to hit 315 (143.2kg) by my birthday in June
    Squat - 485 (220.5kg) - just missed that 5th large plate
    Deadlift - 405 (184kg)

I've been on a slow bulk since just before Thanksgiving, am up 20lbs (9.1kg) while still using the same notch on my belt, so think I'm doing it right. Hadn't really intended to go past 200, but as long as my bench keeps improving I'm gonna keep on feeding the machine to make it happen, at least until I get that magic third plate for one time in my life. Who knows? Maybe I'll try to get that fifth plate on squat as well, but probably not...when the bar is so heavy it's bending across your shoulders and you can literally feel your spine compressing, not sure I want to go back to that again. Even though the computer calculator says I should be able to hit 538 based on doing 365x15, I'm scared to try it!

We have a very similar program design at the moment. How are you enjoying this?
  • nossmf
    Options
    I'm loving it! I used to do nothing but heavy sets as an amateur powerlifter, but have gotten much better size gains once I added the 3x10 sets; and when I tried doing nothing but 3x10's, I missed the heavy stuff too much. This program is the best of both worlds. I've also tried doing both in the same workout (primary lift 5x5 to start the day, followed by 3x10 elsewhere) but find I prefer focusing on just one type of lift per day.

6'1" by 171, yikes, that's so much leaner than my 5'9" by 199.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    I'm loving it! I used to do nothing but heavy sets as an amateur powerlifter, but have gotten much better size gains once I added the 3x10 sets; and when I tried doing nothing but 3x10's, I missed the heavy stuff too much. This program is the best of both worlds. I've also tried doing both in the same workout (primary lift 5x5 to start the day, followed by 3x10 elsewhere) but find I prefer focusing on just one type of lift per day.

Very interesting. I’ve done the pairing of heavy compound lifts with higher rep sets for the more isolated movements such as pec deck, flies (upper and lower), even heavier barbell presses for low reps and then lighter dumbbell presses to try and really focus on the mind muscle connection. I’ll attach a screen shot of my overall current routine how I have the split laid out. I think it’s going to similar to yours as I have a heavy and “lighter” day for each push,pull,leg day.

89dassk5xi2o.png

• cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options

Very interesting. I’ve done the pairing of heavy compound lifts with higher rep sets for the more isolated movements such as pec deck, flies (upper and lower), even heavier barbell presses for low reps and then lighter dumbbell presses to try and really focus on the mind muscle connection. I’ll attach a screen shot of my overall current routine how I have the split laid out. I think it’s going to similar to yours as I have a heavy and “lighter” day for each push,pull,leg day.

89dassk5xi2o.png

What app you use sir?
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »

89dassk5xi2o.png

What app you use sir?

7b4b27dyb3fp.png

I really enjoy this app.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options

89dassk5xi2o.png

What app you use sir?

7b4b27dyb3fp.png

I really enjoy this app.

I’ve been using strong - I may check this one out - thanks
  • nossmf
    Options
    Only app I use is an excel spreadsheet, plus my paper journal which has notes of every workout for the last 15 years. When I want a kick in the pants, I peruse a workout done from years ago, and observe how my routine has changed drastically over the years.

Interesting that your heavy days have more sets than your lighter days. I presume that includes the additional warmup sets, not just working sets.

Didn't mention earlier, but I almost learned the hard way to NOT do 5x5 with arm isolation exercises.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited February 18
    Options

I feel you on the hypertrophy work . My body enjoys 4-6 reps more than 8-12.

I have been running AthleanX programs for a year. I have enjoyed them as they add in some corrective exercises. While following his All American Muscle program, I did hit bench , deadlift, Squat and Hip thrust lifetime PRs. 250/375/335/525 respectively

I recently started his new Built program but had to stop due to shoulder issues. Waiting for my MRI. Joys of being old. I am following his hypertrophy block while replacing all the chest/push moves with Shoulders. Ironically, it's doing great for making my shoulders round out.

I will note, i have taken a lot of advice from the Dr. Mike and have incorporated MYO reps and a few other tweaks.

• kinetixtrainer2
    Options

89dassk5xi2o.png

What app you use sir?

7b4b27dyb3fp.png

I really enjoy this app.

I’ve been using strong - I may check this one out - thanks

Anytime !
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Only app I use is an excel spreadsheet, plus my paper journal which has notes of every workout for the last 15 years. When I want a kick in the pants, I peruse a workout done from years ago, and observe how my routine has changed drastically over the years.

Interesting that your heavy days have more sets than your lighter days. I presume that includes the additional warmup sets, not just working sets.

Didn't mention earlier, but I almost learned the hard way to NOT do 5x5 with arm isolation exercises.

No sir, I do not have my warm up sets written in my program. You see more sets on the heavier days because I’m mostly doing 5x5 on most of those heavy exercises. On the lighter days my sets average 12 reps with some exercises like face pulls, laterals and bicep curls having 15-20 reps. So I’m only doing 3 sets per exercise.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    I read through your posts and it's so clear that I have so much to learn. Lol thank you all for sharing.

Right now I am doing only 2 sessions a week. So I broke mine up into a and b. Because bench is my weakest lift, I do it both days. This is roughly what my current plan looks like.

Workout A: Bench / Squat / ohp /lat pulldowns / back row/ face pulls / straight arm pushdowns

Workout B: Bench / Squat / deads /leg press / seated leg curls / leg extensions / assisted pullup and skull crushers

The accessories are 3x10-12 but each week I vary my reps and weights slightly for the major lifts.

Week 1-3 - major lifts are done at 70—75% for 3 or 4 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 4-5 - majors are 80% for 3x8
    Week 6 - majors are 85% for 4x5
    Week 7 - majors are 95% for 3x2

Usually the last set or two is AMAP for the major lifts.

I find I like the variety from week to week and I like the break when I go back to week 1 and am at 70%. I really enjoy getting to week 8 though because the heavy lifts are so empowering for me.

And my stats are currently 200lb for 6'1 as well. Lol. I'm thicc Hahaha I am back to logging and staying just below maintenance, with the hope of some recomp.

But honestly... I'm kinda winging it.

• nossmf
    Options
    You mention week 8 yet not give details for week 8. I presume it's either a rest/deload week, or a 1RM test week.