Happy to help

Options

Replies

• m2f5r8gcjc
    m2f5r8gcjc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the offer. I certainly would like some help.

I've lost enough weight and know looking a bit frail and skinny.

I was told (vaguely) to eat more protein and start lifting.

1) So, how exactly do we count protein amount (and whatever else I need?), say, from a 1-lb rib eye steak?

2) What lifting routine is recommended for a starter?

Again, thank you so much.
    Thanks for the offer. I certainly would like some help.

I've lost enough weight and know looking a bit frail and skinny.

I was told (vaguely) to eat more protein and start lifting.

1) So, how exactly do we count protein amount (and whatever else I need?), say, from a 1-lb rib eye steak?

2) What lifting routine is recommended for a starter?

Again, thank you so much.

If you’ve lost a lot of weight, you’ve probably been in a deficit for a long time, if your happy with your current body fat levels I’d suggest upping calories into a maintenance phase or slightly above and using those extra calories and energy to really push your strength up in the gym and build some muscle.

The extra calories will help ‘fill up your muscles’ you could be feeling frail and skinny because your so depleted

Up the calories to maintenance with protein (1g of protein is 4 calories)

Get a simple workout plan that you enjoy that focuses on compound exercises ( exercises that use multiple joints) and one you can stick to for a while with a focus on increasing your weights, reps or sets over the weeks.

Google ‘3 day workout plan’ and there’s hundreds to pick from.

I’d suggest downloading a app that allow you to track your workouts or if your old school just use a note pad.

As an extremely vague figure, women 100g-150g and men 150g-200g protein is more then enough.

When it comes to tracking protein just weigh out all your food and put it into MFP intill you reach your daily target.

The main thing is to not get overwhelmed and keep it simple, there’s no such thing as a perfect plan, only a plan YOU find enjoyable and one you can stick to long term.

Following a plan 80% for a year will out perform following a plan 100% for a month then quiting and repeating the cycle 👌

Hope this helps
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,645 Member
    edited February 14
    Options
    m2f5r8gcjc wrote: »
    @tomcustombuilder judging by how many posts on here you’ve made that you clearly want to help people as well so I don’t understand the negativity? I’m not claiming to know more then you or anyone else here I just have experience and knowledge that I feel would benefit others that’s all

I’m new here so I don’t know the general etiquette, I’m not here for arguments I’m here to offer advice for anyone struggling and that’s it.

it just seems like you were coming in as a savior to the forum rather than just joining the forum and getting involved in threads and letting your opinions show your expertise or lack of it.

This forum and other fitness/ diet forums have had their fair share of people that claim to be experts fall woefully short in their knowledge base when they start responding.

Any forum welcomes quality posters and this one is no different.

Your previous post sounds like you’ll be well received, was solid advice.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,272 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    See me as your very own fitness google, I’m here to over as much advice and support as possible 😌

OK. Here's one.

I have done strength training on and off for decades. I usually take off during spring/summer because I'm busy doing fun things outdoors. That may change this year. Maybe 40 or so years ago, I was more serious about weight lifting. I just got out of the habit until maybe a decade ago or so.

I'm finally feeling like I'm no longer a novice, and I'm changing up some of my routines. I'm using a Garmin wrist device to track things, and I'm amazed how well it can guess what movements I'm doing. Lately I've started going back into the workout data online and correcting it. I noticed that it shows me what muscle groups I'm targeting. My typical workout is all-body with rest days and cardio in between. The other day I skipped most of my leg workout because I had been on two long hikes the day before. I digress.

I just noticed that Garmin is telling me a few areas where I'm not targeting. Sadly it's one of the more important areas to support my other activities - my core. Yeah. I know. So I am not working my abs or obliques. I also am somehow missing my lower legs.

I have some ideas of what I might add back in to target my core. Since you offered, I'll go ahead and ask: What would be your top three to five body-weight core exercises to focus on abs and obliques, and what would be your top three to five weightlifting movements to do the same thing?

Throw in something for calf muscles if you want. Hips (abductors and adductors) might need some focus too, but my main idea is I need more focus on my core.

Whatcha got?

• tomcustombuilder
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    <snip>
    See me as your very own fitness google, I’m here to over as much advice and support as possible 😌

OK. Here's one.

I have done strength training on and off for decades. I usually take off during spring/summer because I'm busy doing fun things outdoors. That may change this year. Maybe 40 or so years ago, I was more serious about weight lifting. I just got out of the habit until maybe a decade ago or so.

I'm finally feeling like I'm no longer a novice, and I'm changing up some of my routines. I'm using a Garmin wrist device to track things, and I'm amazed how well it can guess what movements I'm doing. Lately I've started going back into the workout data online and correcting it. I noticed that it shows me what muscle groups I'm targeting. My typical workout is all-body with rest days and cardio in between. The other day I skipped most of my leg workout because I had been on two long hikes the day before. I digress.

I just noticed that Garmin is telling me a few areas where I'm not targeting. Sadly it's one of the more important areas to support my other activities - my core. Yeah. I know. So I am not working my abs or obliques. I also am somehow missing my lower legs.

I have some ideas of what I might add back in to target my core. Since you offered, I'll go ahead and ask: What would be your top three to five body-weight core exercises to focus on abs and obliques, and what would be your top three to five weightlifting movements to do the same thing?

Throw in something for calf muscles if you want. Hips (abductors and adductors) might need some focus too, but my main idea is I need more focus on my core.

Whatcha got?

if he doesn’t respond, we’ll chime in for you with answers.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    <snip>

OK. Here's one.

Whatcha got?

if he doesn’t respond, we’ll chime in for you with answers.

I have found that there's good advice to be had here, and since I'm in no rush, let's wait and see. I already have a couple ideas that I think I mentioned elsewhere that are easy to add back to my routine that will help a lot.

I'll ask again in a few days or so if we don't hear from @m2f5r8gcjc
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    <snip>

OK. Here's one.

Whatcha got?

@m2f5r8gcjc

Are you still here? Got anything to help?

If not - then I'll welcome your input @tomcustombuilder or anyone else. Because there's always good recommendations around here. Ain't it great?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options

As you know, I'm a regular internet ignoramus, not a trainer. (I've been mistaken for one here because of the PT in my ID, which are actually my middle/last intials. I would've chosen a different name if I'd thought of that. :| )

One of the trainer types who used to be here, @Azdak, gave lots of advice from experience. I don't know for sure whether he was a trainer specifically, but if he wasn't, he was a long-term experienced professional in some related field. I'm sorry he's not around any more, and that his blog was deleted in the Awful MFP Blog Deletion Event.

These won't be new to you, but these are the core exercises I long ago noted that he mentioned (more than once):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/44447644/#Comment_44447644

My physical therapist also had me do the last one on Azdak's list.

From a local trainer, I like stir-the-pot on a stability ball and the McGill curl-up (different from standard curl-up), but maybe that's just me.

I do like dynamic core exercises. These (above) aren't necessarily good examples, but I also especially like dynamic exercises, and ones that emphasize rotational/obliques sort of thing. (My main sport is a good core developer IME - if done at huge volume - but the type I do most often is strictly moving upright upper body in line with body center (hinge-y). I need more obliques work for balancing the skinny craft. The dynamic stuff is also useful for dynamic balance, and it gets pretty dynamic out there sometimes. :D )

I miss Azdak. I'm glad @ninerbuff is still here. I was hoping @m2f5r8gcjc (OP) would be similar.
  • mtaratoot
    edited February 20
    Options
    @AnnPT77

Thanks. Yes, I've already got some good suggestions here. Thanks for the link. I had often wondered about your initials, and I figured that was probably what it was or maybe from your career as a "Programmer/Technician" :lol:
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I miss Azdak. I'm glad @ninerbuff is still here. I was hoping @m2f5r8gcjc (OP) would be similar.

I was hoping the same thing. I tried. I'm sure I'll get some good feedback, especially if I ask in the right places. This one probably isn't it, but it was worth every second of the 210 that I invested.

I shouldn't have been surprised to find out I was missing on core stuff. It will all work out. We are all projects in progress, and that's a good thing. That said, some of the suggestions of deadlifts, squats, and lunges - I already do those. Garmin apparently doesn't think they'll help. I'll have a chat with Garmin. Push-ups are always good, as are planks.

I do disagree with one thing you wrote: ignoramus you ain't.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 20
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Heck I'll even take 50 individually crafted answers...
    Even two days in a row would be a surprise.

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I probably can’t add anything new but I can give the examples of the core work I do: I had major abdominal surgery nearly ten years ago which cut through all the muscles on my right hand side. That side is now weaker and my left can get sore as I unintentionally compensate.

My personal core top three bodyweight are prone hollow holds, ab wheel roll outs (or hand walks if no wheel) and hyperextensions (those are more lower back than strict core but they’re important for me).

For weighted, suitcase deadlifts or farmers carries, overhead stuff like lunges (surprising amount of core in stabilising the weight - for me anyway), and hanging hollow holds or slow leg raises.

As I said, nothing new there, but those are some of the core accessory exercises I do to prevent injury. 😀
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I probably can’t add anything new but I can give the examples of the core work I do: I had major abdominal surgery nearly ten years ago which cut through all the muscles on my right hand side. That side is now weaker and my left can get sore as I unintentionally compensate.

My personal core top three bodyweight are prone hollow holds, ab wheel roll outs (or hand walks if no wheel) and hyperextensions (those are more lower back than strict core but they’re important for me).

For weighted, suitcase deadlifts or farmers carries, overhead stuff like lunges (surprising amount of core in stabilising the weight - for me anyway), and hanging hollow holds or slow leg raises.

As I said, nothing new there, but those are some of the core accessory exercises I do to prevent injury. 😀

To the bold, for semi-modified ones, sliders (official or improvised), a firm foam roller, or a stability ball can also work. Since I'm non-consistent with both strength and core work, I usually need to work my way back into ab wheel via stability ball then foam roller then wheel. Yes, I'm a weakling. ;)

@Mtaratoot, another thing my physical therapist had me do was pushups on a Bosu (round side down) or similar. It can be done on stability ball, but that's even harder balance-wise.
  • tomcustombuilder
    edited February 20
    Options
    <snip>

Whatcha got?

Bodyweight stuff would be things like hanging leg raises and windshield wipers. For weighted go with suitcase carries for obliques and overall core strength. Ab wheel is amazing also.

For calves the normal calf raises and just as important but always overlooked is strengthing your anterior tibialis which is the front muscle in your calves. Look on youtube for those exercises.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    Sure sure hope springs eternal and all that. But why are we continuing to bump up the OP's avatar and thread when he is not even participating?
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Sure sure hope springs eternal and all that. But why are we continuing to bump up the OP's avatar and thread when he is not even participating?

Maybe he'll come back and be an awesome addition. Or not. So this will be my last hello here.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

We're doing what we often do on a thread that the OP has abandoned: Talk about whatever we feel like. Right now, that's core exercises, I guess.

As an aside, I've never noticed that there's any personal payoff in having one's avatar bumped. If the OP bails and the thread digresses, it's - dare I say it? - almost an implied diss.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    edited February 21
    Options
    Negative payoff for me!

I can't get the ignore person thingy to work and as a consequence I keep running into the annoyingly positive thread title! :blush::wink:

If people want to help on MFP the solution is simple: reply to people's questions. Have a conversation. Post your take on things. And in the course of your many answers share some of your story. Maybe even the occasional link to IG/Tic Toc/Facebook/You tube where you get to start by telling everyone about yourself. On MFP you could also post on success stories to inspire people. I mean if you have personally lost and kept off a significant amount of weight a success story it is and an inspirational post there would be relevant.
  • zahraB1
    zahraB1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your journey and expertise! As someone who has struggled with weight loss in the past, I'm eager to tap into your wealth of knowledge. I've tried numerous diets and exercises, but nothing seems to stick long-term :'(
    What are some practical strategies or habits you recommend for sustainable weight loss?