Intermittent Fasting

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited February 26
    Options
    There's not a diet on the planet that works for everyone and every diet that focuses on weight loss fails in the 90+ percentile the majority of the time, therefore all diet including counting calories, low carb, ketogenic, carnivore are a big fail. The fails will all have distinctive reasons as to the why.

Most people, which means, not everyone, eats what would be described as the standard American diet which now covers most countries as well and most, again not all, will agree is front and centre for the comorbidities that plague the healthfulness of the very high percentage of citizens that engage in this type of consumption, it's in the high 70% as is being overweight with around 50% Insulin Resistant which among clinicians is referred to as functional carbohydrate intolerance.

The focus here seems to be on protein and it's satiating effect and while that's true, it's a small player in it's effectiveness within the context of what's considered the universally accepted dietary guideline diet, imo. Basically consuming protein in what would be considered a higher carbohydrate diet, from 45-65% and especially if it's mostly of the SAD type the satiating effect of protein is minimal and many would say it really doesn't do much.

When does protein seem to become more effective because people that reduce their carbs seem to give protein more credit for it's satiating effect. Is it the protein all of a sudden working better, no I don't think so.

If a person chooses a very low carb/ketogenic diet, the chances are slim they'll stick with it, it's hard to do, period. The reasons. If a person did any research then their existing diet for the most part is trashed because a proper very low carb/ketogenic diet is as close to a whole food diet as you can get, which is a really tall ask for any dietary intervention but especially low carb because it's also high fat and very low carbs, usually under 100g's but closer to 30-50 for sustained ketosis, which is the goal. As most know I'm very low carb and ketogenic and I attribute my personal success in what this does for my overall health, which needed to be looked at, no doubt about.

There is science that looks at satiation and ketones, and I'll leave this here for anyone to read, most won't but I suspect a few will.

https://virtahealth.com/blog/ketosis-appetite-hunger

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Yep, and it's not in the best interest of the food and pharma complex's either. People losing weight especially from whole foods means fewer sales for processed food manufacturers and less medication as the weight comes off......weight loss is big business.

Not to mention that the companies and services do want you to lose weight on their programs full well knowing that 90% of them won't stay on them for ever and KNOW that 90% will gain the weight back........................meaning they will be back eventually on the program that helped them lose weight again. And the cycle will continue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • neanderthin
    edited February 26
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Yep, and it's not in the best interest of the food and pharma complex's either. People losing weight especially from whole foods means fewer sales for processed food manufacturers and less medication as the weight comes off......weight loss is big business.

Not to mention that the companies and services do want you to lose weight on their programs full well knowing that 90% of them won't stay on them for ever and KNOW that 90% will gain the weight back........................meaning they will be back eventually on the program that helped them lose weight again. And the cycle will continue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I suspect your basically right. Although if you follow most or what these different strategies suggest there probably would be better outcomes and better health, whatever that might be but unfortunately there are forces that are working against basic human physiology where the alternatives (solutions), which ever they might be, are too difficult to maintain long term and we are left with being unwell, and again not everyone, some people have maintained their healthier lower weight. The outliers are everyone, all of us, with the need to individually explore what works. It's time to take responsibility and stop being a victim where a person feels it's other peoples responsibility to tell them what to do to be healthier and what medication to take to feel better, yeah that's not going to work as we age. :)
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Dr. Fung is a great resource. If you think back to caveman days, they ate when food was around, and didn't when there wasn't any. There is nothing wrong with fasting, it helps bring down your blood sugar (using glycogen stores) and breaking down fat for energy. I don't do OMAD so that I reduce my calorie intake (CICO), but to gain lower blood sugar, more energy and better mental health. I track, but don't care about calories, I am focusing on reaching my fat/protein goals. I am carnivore for the most part. And when I'm not carnivore, I'm still single ingredient foods - like adding tomatoes and cheese to have a "carnivore pizza" etc. Feel free to reach out about any questions for fasting, I've been doing it a while now ;)
    Cavemen also didn't have 8 hour jobs, exercised for fitness, or do any other real chores keeping a cave. Also, cavemen didn't have food at their disposal all the time like we do now. I will bet dollars to donuts that if they did, they would be in the same dilema as many overweight people.
    Fung does a lot of cherry picked science to back up his way of having people diet. There IS no magic to intermentent fasting. You can eat 6 meals a day and if they added up to the total calories you need to lose weight...........................you'll lose weight.
    The issue with the majority of people who are overweight is that they don't pay attention to how many calories they eat in a day. They just think 3 meals a day is standard regardless of what it consists off whether fast food, large amounts of carbs and fats, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I purpose that the cultures that are not overweight and enjoy good health have virtually no interest in what a calorie is or what it stands for. imo.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 753 Member
    edited February 26
    Options
    Dr. Fung is a great resource. If you think back to caveman days, they ate when food was around, and didn't when there wasn't any. There is nothing wrong with fasting, it helps bring down your blood sugar (using glycogen stores) and breaking down fat for energy. I don't do OMAD so that I reduce my calorie intake (CICO), but to gain lower blood sugar, more energy and better mental health. I track, but don't care about calories, I am focusing on reaching my fat/protein goals. I am carnivore for the most part. And when I'm not carnivore, I'm still single ingredient foods - like adding tomatoes and cheese to have a "carnivore pizza" etc. Feel free to reach out about any questions for fasting, I've been doing it a while now ;)
    Cavemen also didn't have 8 hour jobs, exercised for fitness, or do any other real chores keeping a cave. Also, cavemen didn't have food at their disposal all the time like we do now. I will bet dollars to donuts that if they did, they would be in the same dilema as many overweight people.
    Fung does a lot of cherry picked science to back up his way of having people diet. There IS no magic to intermentent fasting. You can eat 6 meals a day and if they added up to the total calories you need to lose weight...........................you'll lose weight.
    The issue with the majority of people who are overweight is that they don't pay attention to how many calories they eat in a day. They just think 3 meals a day is standard regardless of what it consists off whether fast food, large amounts of carbs and fats, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

💯. I’ve gained weight on OMAD. I’ve lost weight on OMAD. Been practicing OMAD for around 10 years. There is no magic (sadly). If so, I would be Galadriel by now 😌.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 753 Member
    edited February 26
    Options
    Aesop101 wrote: »
    Right off, I don't know much about it. I saw a video about Dr. Jason Fung that sparked my interest. I had previously seen a video about it from another doctor. I thought, "Yeah, right!" I may have seen another. I'm not sure.

Then there was a video by one doctor showing clips of speeches by Dr. Jason Fung. Now that caught my attention. I'm 70 years old and have been taught my whole life to eat three meals per day. However, Dr. Jason Fung and others say to skip meals and even go down to one meal per day. The idea is to let your body dispose of the food you just ate so it can pull stored fat (energy) from your cells. That's about as technical as I can get. Dr. Fung used the analogy of over filling your gas tank when you eat three meals a day. The gas will spill out.

He further said don't eat if you are not hungry and intermittent fasting is a way of ensuring that. Further, don't eat by the clock; It's morning, breakfast, noon, lunch, 5 o'clock, dinner. Last thought, all the doctors I watched said no eating after 6 PM.

Yesterday was my first day of intentional intermittent fasting. I had a light breakfast (300 calories), skipped lunch, and then a nice healthy dinner. It wasn't a bad day. I'm not sure I would do this every day. Dr. Fung told a patient to do it three times per week and had great results.

Last thing, Dr. Fung said he could make anyone fat, just give them insulin. That was a shocker.

What *can* you do forever? Why not find out what that is so it never feels like you’re dieting?

I understand wanting to try things until you find what works, but it takes consistency and time to establish new habits, not just a trial run. The truth is, if you find something you can do forever with the accurate amount of calories you’ll be what you hoped you would be. You just have to decide to do that consistently without anymore switches, trials, and quick fixes. That’s the secret imo. I wish you all the best.
  • neanderthin
    edited February 27
    Options
    If you think back to caveman days, they ate when food was around, and didn't when there wasn't any

And they had a lifespan of what? 35 years or so?

Not sure why how cavemen lived is set up as a barometer of what to do today.

That number would be for "average" lifespan which there are many confounders, I know it may sound complicated but most of the world didn't fair much better in the 1800's. Fossil fuels and the technologies that has brought about has extended human lifespan since then and without it I suspect we wouldn't be doing much better now either.

https://statista.com/statistics/1302736/global-life-expectancy-by-region-country-historical/
  • neanderthin
    edited February 27
    Options
    Didn't fare so well? Compared to what? Most paleoanthropologists agree that once infant mortality rates were removed which I believe was calculated after the age of 5, but I'd have to check, life span was calculated to between 70 and 80 years, the same rate as that found in contemporary industrialized societies.

Humans of the upper Paleolithic lived a rich and healthy life and colonized most of the world because they were skilled, well connected socially, to themselves and to other groups where these populations grew and social networks expanded and eventually created the foundation of modern civilization, so not so destitute. This society of modern humans began around 3 million years ago, so we had time to understand and thrive in our surrounding, and suspect they learned a thing or two along the way.

Early humans ate what was available in their immediate environment and they were very skilled at hunting and foraging like every other animal on the planet and ate a species specific diet that was derived through what is generally described as optimal foraging where finding food with the best bang for the buck was part of our life, we were aware of the value of every plant and animal that fell into our orbit. There's also a case to be made that after civilization that human health on average declined as we moved away from finding and gathering food to storing it and living with our animals, which obviously brought on it's own hardships. Crop failures were death sentences, basically putting all their eggs in one basket for a civilization of people that relied on that for their survival, and yeah, the gruel of Victorian England was probably not that great for our health either.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,272 Member
    Options
    I would expect that across most areas of the world, paleolithic humans relied a lot on insects for a significant source of protein. Insects can be raised with a lot less ecological impact than many animals currently raised for food.

I'd say if you're really opting to eat what paleolithic humans ate, you'd eat a lot more grasshoppers, crickets, and larvae.

There's a well written book by an author named Daniella Martin called "Edible" that's worth reading if the idea is interesting to you. Your library probably has a copy.

I don't strive to eat like a paleolithic human. I still think eating insects is a really good idea. I also know that even though my brain knows this, I struggle to get past our cultural "fear" of using them for food. I don't know what it will take to get past it. Maybe I need to read that book again.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Entomophagy, eating insects and larvae is pretty well understood and for sure it was a staple in upper and lower Paleolithic humans, no doubt about it, but it never stopped being consumed and I'll leave this as it shows humans continued to eat insects and in certain Countries is quite natural to this day. When in Thailand I ate a few and have to admit, they weren't bad but I think it was easier to consume then there simply because everyone around me was buying them and you didn't get the feeling they were creepy crawlers but just a snack, and so I tried, basically these were cultural norms.

https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/14/8/690

Entomophagy has a long and rich history in human culture. In fact, insects have been a part of human diets for thousands of years, with evidence of their consumption found in prehistoric archaeological sites. Throughout history, entomophagy has been a common practice in many cultures, particularly in parts of Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Oceania. In some societies, insects were considered a delicacy and were reserved for special occasions, while, in others, they were a staple food source. The roots of entomophagy vary depending on culture and region, but common reasons include the nutritional benefits of insects, their abundance and accessibility, and the cultural and religious significance of certain species. While the practice of entomophagy has declined in some parts of the world due to the influence of Western culture and industrialization, it continues to be important in many societies. Despite its long history and potential benefits, entomophagy has faced cultural and social stigmas in many parts of the world. However, recent efforts have been made to promote entomophagy as a sustainable and nutritious food source and to challenge cultural biases against insect consumption.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    mmmmm. Lobster.