Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Crazy Marketing Claims in Ads

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    I get a ton of absolutely ridiculous weight loss articles suggested by Apple News. Apparently, one of the biggest sources is some hair stylist magazine. No idea how that one got on my feed. That, and all kinds of faux articles which end up just containing links to buy stuff.

Apple News is the least newsy news outlet there is.

I'd consider things like that to be on topic for this thread, too, even if not strictly advertising. Screen shot of the loopy headline in addition to a link would be funnest. ;)

There's some exercise site Google likes to recommend articles from sometimes that are really horrible, too. I can't recall the name right now, but I'll be on the lookout for amusingly crazy content there, too. Being on Android doesn't spare a person from clickbait nonsense, trust me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    edited February 15
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    nossmf wrote: »

Or these oddly gendered selections (that contained approximately - maybe exactly - the same exercises, as perceived from my quick flip-through, just with male vs. female photos, and some different text around them.

ejbm931rdv0x.jpg

I've been amused (appalled?) by this sort of thing for a while. Some of these were posted by other people in threads with different theses.

I guess these aren't technically false claims - I mean, one can exercise 10 mins per day and get results.

Since it doesn't specify for how many days and exactly what results. B)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    edited February 15
    Options
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I haven’t got the image of the ads but last year I saw a tonne of ads for leggings with caffeine in them. Supposed to magically make you lose weight and get rid of cellulite. The before pics were all unhappy women gesturing at their legs and tummies, then slim women beaming afterwards. The ads have stopped now so I’m guessing they got pulled for false advertising!

Not the ad but found ‘em on Amazon 🤣
    zhvvpw79djau.png
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    And I have no idea what “antifatic” is supposed to mean: anti-fatigue maybe? Or anti-fat?!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    And I have no idea what “antifatic” is supposed to mean: anti-fatigue maybe? Or anti-fat?!

That jumped out at me, too. I guess they do something so fabulous to fat that a whole new word needed to be invented for it?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    On another message board I use regularly, all the ladies are jumping on the bandwagon for the "Skinnify Workout Leggings" that have resistance bands built in. It's a finance and investing message board, but an "off topic" thread is about health and fitness. Cringe-worthy product description:

"About this item
    LOSE WEIGHT THANKS TO THE BUILT-IN RESISTANCE BANDS OF THE LEGGINGS: Our high-waist women’s leggings have built-in resistance bands that provide resistance to your legs with every movement in your daily life. This allows you to turn everyday activities that you do anyway into mini workouts. For example, shopping or going for a walk. The increased effort from wearing these women’s workout pants will help you burn more calories and lose weight.
    MORE ENERGY, LESS FATIGUE & NOT LONGER SO QUICKLY OUT OF BREATH: Unlock a life of increased vitality with our lose weight leggings! Say goodbye to midday slumps as the built-in resistance bands engage your muscles, boosting your metabolism and energy levels throughout the day. No more huffing and puffing after climbing a flight of stairs—improve your stamina and breath control effortlessly.
    ALL YOUR FAVORITE CLOTHES WILL FIT AGAIN: As these black yoga pants help you lose weight throughout your daily routine, you'll start to notice a slimmer, more toned physique. Before you know it, you'll be reaching for those cherished items that you thought were a thing of the past—be it your favorite jeans, that snug-fitting dress, or the tailored shirt that makes you feel confident and stylish.
    FEEL HEALTHY & COMFORTABLE IN YOUR OWN BODY: By turning everyday movements into micro-workouts, resistance band leggings help women to tone up and lose weight, contributing to a healthier you. This isn't just about aesthetics—it's about the mental boost that comes from achieving your fitness goals and feeling more in tune with your body. Embrace the comfort and confidence that comes from feeling genuinely healthy and loving the skin you're in.
    LOSE WEIGHT OR PAY NOTHING: Our 14 day money back guarantee enables all women to return their resistance band leggings and get a full refund. We do not just promise results, we guarantee them. Buy your weight loss pants now."
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @BZAH10, "weight loss pants"? That's hysterical! Thanks for sharing that. Who thinks of these things . . . and who buys them? :grimace:
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Scary, isn't it??? My favorite line is "ALL YOUR FAVORITE CLOTHES WILL FIT AGAIN". Sure, just wear these leggings and go about your normal day and all of the sudden your jeans from 20 years ago will fit perfectly! Ugh...

A couple of the ladies have talked about their leggings and how they've worked so far, but one said she doesn't believe in calorie counting (but admittedly has struggled with her weight for years) and another said she doesn't eat enough calories so "my body just holds on to the weight" because of that. So, I guess those are the folks that buy this type of gimmick.
  • Donna_T_B
    Donna_T_B Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The keto gummy ads are the worst! The celeb’s mouth is moving but the words aren’t syncing up at all. And they were never approved on Shark Tank!! 😆
  • AnnPT77
    edited February 22
    Options
    Donna_T_B wrote: »
    The keto gummy ads are the worst! The celeb’s mouth is moving but the words aren’t syncing up at all. And they were never approved on Shark Tank!! 😆

One of my favorite things about the ones I see (Keto and ACV gummies, gotta be good, eh? :D ) is that it's always, always the last day to get the special deal. Every day. Day after day. :D
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Kinda like the furniture store from my old home town, which had a "going out of business" sale that lasted for 18 months.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Here’s two that popped up yesterday:koiqfjq701j2.jpeg
    j3grylsw6478.jpeg
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,125 Member
    Options
    The 'impress everyone' at the end is a nice touch 😄
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I just don’t get it. How do the advertisers get away with it? Oprah’s picture is often shown by the gummies. Makes me think she is endorsing the ad. My girlfriend was so influenced by it, she ordered the gummies online. She was highly disappointed the gummies didn’t work.🫤

That's why advertisers add pictures of trusted people. A quick Google search shows Oprah's name and image was used without her permission, and she does not have anything to do with gummies. However, you have to ignore the "sponsored" search results before you get to the real results.

https://www.oprahdaily.com/entertainment/a41832519/oprah-weight-loss-gummies-diet-pills/
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    0x9d6kdwkmx0.jpg
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking about the new TV commercial for the Nutrisystem 7 pounds in 7 days plan. I don't have a picture, but the 7 pounds (portrayed as a large stack made of sticks of butter) looks pretty impressive.

Lol - I guess the actual weight loss portrayed as a big jug of water and a few sticks of butter wouldn't impress much.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I just don’t get it. How do the advertisers get away with it? Oprah’s picture is often shown by the gummies. Makes me think she is endorsing the ad. My girlfriend was so influenced by it, she ordered the gummies online. She was highly disappointed the gummies didn’t work.🫤

That's why advertisers add pictures of trusted people. A quick Google search shows Oprah's name and image was used without her permission, and she does not have anything to do with gummies. However, you have to ignore the "sponsored" search results before you get to the real results.

https://www.oprahdaily.com/entertainment/a41832519/oprah-weight-loss-gummies-diet-pills/

Thanks. Very interesting and a real eye opener.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks. Very interesting and a real eye opener.

The comments are even better than the article.

If my mom ordered me weight loss gummies as a gift, I’d smack her upside the head. Who does that? “Here, baby, you’re fat. I got you these.”