Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Crazy Marketing Claims in Ads

Options

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I just don’t get it. How do the advertisers get away with it? Oprah’s picture is often shown by the gummies. Makes me think she is endorsing the ad. My girlfriend was so influenced by it, she ordered the gummies online. She was highly disappointed the gummies didn’t work.🫤

That's why advertisers add pictures of trusted people. A quick Google search shows Oprah's name and image was used without her permission, and she does not have anything to do with gummies. However, you have to ignore the "sponsored" search results before you get to the real results.

https://www.oprahdaily.com/entertainment/a41832519/oprah-weight-loss-gummies-diet-pills/

Thanks. Very interesting and a real eye opener.

The comments are even better than the article.

If my mom ordered me weight loss gummies as a gift, I’d smack her upside the head. Who does that? “Here, baby, you’re fat. I got you these.”

Exactly. And so many people saying they fell for the "convincing" ads and stating how much money they spent! That they can't get back, of course. I don't know why I'm still surprised that people believe things like this.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    fxliv6kbauhp.jpg

Little did all these women know, all you need is some belly dancing to cure that leakage.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options
    yiguq2h13r51.jpg
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,470 Member
    edited March 2
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    yiguq2h13r51.jpg

Which comes first? The disappear or the transform?

When I come back can I look like her?

There’s a guy over on Introduce Yourself claiming to have lost 47 pounds in 39 days. I’m waiting for the other shoe aka the promo for something like this to drop.

Btw, why do shoes drop? 🧐
  • sollyn23l2
    edited March 3
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    yiguq2h13r51.jpg

Which comes first? The disappear or the transform?

When I come back can I look like her?

There’s a guy over on Introduce Yourself claiming to have lost 47 pounds in 39 days. I’m waiting for the other shoe aka the promo for something like this to drop.

Btw, why do shoes drop? 🧐

When you take your shoe off, you "drop" it on the floor. If one shoe drops, it's inevitable that a second shoe will follow. Hence "the other shoe".

And yes, of course you can look like her. I mean, you saw the ad, right?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    This is sort of cheating, because these are screen grabs from Facebook reels, advertising only in the sense that they're clickbait for self-styled "fitness influencers" or "fitness trainers".

This one was on the couch, and slithered down into this position. Who doesn't want "charming breasts" and a "wasp waist", yaKnowWhaddIMean? ;)

va2nhujd3aua.png

Then there's these guys, who are doing exactly what you think: Stepping from one foot to the other, raising the non-supporting foot to the side, and reaching down to tap it. It used to be repetitious line dancing, now it's a "fit belly hack", yessirree.

6s1pygk9y6zw.png

• springlering62
    edited March 11
    Options
    From the ladies room in an Indian restaurant, proving all things remain the same, everywhere:

wfraqzbktnam.jpeg
    Take a look at the rudimentary photo editing!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Scary, isn't it??? My favorite line is "ALL YOUR FAVORITE CLOTHES WILL FIT AGAIN". Sure, just wear these leggings and go about your normal day and all of the sudden your jeans from 20 years ago will fit perfectly! Ugh...

A couple of the ladies have talked about their leggings and how they've worked so far, but one said she doesn't believe in calorie counting (but admittedly has struggled with her weight for years) and another said she doesn't eat enough calories so "my body just holds on to the weight" because of that. So, I guess those are the folks that buy this type of gimmick.
    Weight loss gimmicks really target females hard due to the stress that society puts on them. And this all starts in middle school.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    edited March 11
    Options
    From the ladies room in an Indian restaurant, proving all things remain the same, everywhere:

wfraqzbktnam.jpeg
    Take a look at the rudimentary photo editing!

Ha, the before and afters are funny - pictures probably taken minutes apart in more flattering and less flattering positions. Number 4's after picture looks particularly awkward :mrgreen:
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,367 Member
    Options
    I haven’t got the image of the ads but last year I saw a tonne of ads for leggings with caffeine in them. Supposed to magically make you lose weight and get rid of cellulite. The before pics were all unhappy women gesturing at their legs and tummies, then slim women beaming afterwards. The ads have stopped now so I’m guessing they got pulled for false advertising!

Not the ad but found ‘em on Amazon 🤣
    zhvvpw79djau.png

If I spill my coffee on my pants will it have the same effect?
    🤔
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I haven’t got the image of the ads but last year I saw a tonne of ads for leggings with caffeine in them. Supposed to magically make you lose weight and get rid of cellulite. The before pics were all unhappy women gesturing at their legs and tummies, then slim women beaming afterwards. The ads have stopped now so I’m guessing they got pulled for false advertising!

zhvvpw79djau.png

🤔

Betting yes.

Exact same effect: None. :D
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

zhvvpw79djau.png

🤔

Betting yes.

Exact same effect: None. :D

I would smell like coffee….

Also, getting real for a moment: I really hope those pants contain zero caffeine that could possibly be absorbed through the skin.
    Because caffeine overdose is not a fun thing.

I don’t suspect they do.

But, yeah. Caffeine is not a completely benign substance.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Weight loss gimmicks really target females hard due to the stress that society puts on them. And this all starts in middle school.

Oh, my poor, naive, male friend. Barbie ring any bells?

And we were already over Barbie by middle school years.

And that was decades before social media, TikTok, altered photos.

BTW total double standard that Princess Kate is being hammered over photo edits by the very same people who inhabit social media for no other purpose than to virtuously point out the e-failings of others. First stones and all that.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    OK, so this isn't an ad for weight loss, but it is crazy.

I'm going to regret having watched this video, I'm sure, because Facebook will now presume I like this kind of stuff. But it's like a car crash, impossible to look away!

Apparently glucose cooks our bodies from the inside:
    https://youtu.be/uLUe0ehtoGc?si=J1NgVCstix0NYyP-
  • springlering62
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

I'm going to regret having watched this video, I'm sure, because Facebook will now presume I like this kind of stuff. But it's like a car crash, impossible to look away!

I just went down a rabbit hole with that one. Erm….thanks?
  • MargaretYakoda
    edited March 15
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

I just went down a rabbit hole with that one. Erm….thanks?

As a diabetic I just wanna say “kind of…. But also LOL nope.”

Does excess blood glucose cause harm?
    Absolutely.

But…. That video is some WooWoo with misleading information and scare tactics.
    Which, y’all already know that. But I just had to say it.

Editing to say I just googled her and she seems like a good candidate for Mack Attack on YouTube to review. He loves to debunk MLMs and nutrition scammers.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Just her name 'Glucose Goddess' alone 😆