GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Here’s the culprit at our house, Irene (aka Floof or Fluffy). She’ll follow me around like a Pokémon and prone to yelling rather than actually meowing. When she wants me to get up she’ll climb on my pillow and either lick my forehead or paw at my face.

myetbtzxdfb7.jpeg

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Here’s the culprit at our house, Irene (aka Floof or Fluffy). She’ll follow me around like a Pokémon and prone to yelling rather than actually meowing. When she wants me to get up she’ll climb on my pillow and either lick my forehead or paw at my face.

myetbtzxdfb7.jpeg

Oh she's a cutie! Our cats each have a dozen names too. Haha
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    More kitty pics please!
    I love, love LOVEEEEEEE! cats

Unfortunatly my wife is allergic (to almost any animal) so no cats for me.
    But if i get the change, i cuddle with one.

This was me last sunday at a friends house who has taken in 3 rescue cats. This one is completely blind and was abused in Turkey and used as a football. She has 2 more, of which one is a Maine Coon but very small, but so adorable (red female, which is rare as well)

w1gg14juzv0d.png

She said, that this one normally never sits at other peoples lap (they call me the Cat Whisperer ... 🤣)

She also has 10 chicken, 2 parrots, some ducks, turtles...lot's of animals

n1qd6ur8nhle.jpeg
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    More kitty pics please!

This was me last sunday at a friends house who has taken in 3 rescue cats. This one is completely blind and was abused in Turkey and used as a football. She has 2 more, of which one is a Maine Coon but very small, but so adorable (red female, which is rare as well)

w1gg14juzv0d.png

She said, that this one normally never sits at other peoples lap (they call me the Cat Whisperer ... 🤣)

n1qd6ur8nhle.jpeg

Oh I love this so much!!! :heart:
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,830 Member
    Options
    More kitty pics please!

w1gg14juzv0d.png

n1qd6ur8nhle.jpeg

I used to have a a cuddly rooster ❤️
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

myetbtzxdfb7.jpeg

I keep signing... Come on Irene... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbpnAGajyMc
  • steveko89
    Options

myetbtzxdfb7.jpeg

I keep signing... Come on Irene... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbpnAGajyMc

lol, we definitely call her that the least. We got all three right around the same time and there's a theme. Her male compadre is Sherlock, our other female is Mrs. Hudson (aka Martha). She was the third of the trio obtained so she's Irene, as in Irene Adler. It's fitting in that she definitely knows she's pretty but her personality is much more like Miss Piggy.
  • steveko89
    Options
    Grey & white is Sherlock, he’s at least 15lbs and an absolute dope. Calico is Martha, she’s a sweet fancy lady of a cat

1oeb4k3g3x7r.jpeg
    j71u746i0ulc.jpeg
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    We have 6 cats, 3 dogs, 2 parakeets.

Cats are (almost) all related, my wife's friend refused for years to spay her cat so kept having to find homes for kittens. We've taken in 6 over the years (one died in an unfortunate accident):

Shadow, Spooky, Ghost (deceased) are from the same litter
    Spirit (notice a theme? all were welcomed into our home near Halloween)
    Tigger (orange striped like a tiger) and Polar (pure white) are from the same litter

Polar is actually a flame-point Siamese, extremely rare, and could sell in stores for thousands of dollars. We got him free.

(Not-so-fun fact: Here in the USA, all-black cats are often killed in Satanic rituals or by the occult. Consequently, they are illegal to buy/sell in the month of October, when the number of rituals increase around Halloween.)

A few years later, my daughter found a box of newborn kittens abandoned on the side of the road on her way to school. Thanks to her big heart, we welcomed Jasper to the family.

So that's six cats living with us today, plus another four cats who have called us home over the years. (Dahla, Boots and Ghost deceased, Blackie ran away - one Thanksgiving we heard meowing outside our door, Blackie simply walked in like she owned the place, stayed about nine months, then escaped out the door the next summer and was never seen again, probably meowing at some other random house after another.)

Our three dogs are all rescue-shelter pups (Max, Cheyenne, Chaparra). Our only store-bought pets are the parakeets, Elsa and Anna.

For a few weeks we played host to a trio of salamanders after my son's friend moved to another state and couldn't take them with, but nobody in the house liked the critters so we ended up releasing them into the wild at the riverbank of the local city park.

We also have a 110-gallon fresh-water tank which at one time was home to dozens of brightly-colored fish, but a plague wiped them all out almost overnight, and after a thorough deep-cleaning we have never tried to repopulate the tank. Some day...
  • nossmf
    Options
    Oh, and with the exception of our first two cats (Dahla, Boots), one dog (Max) and the fish aquarium, all of our pets have joined the family while I was not there, either at work or spending a week camping with my son's Scout troop. I would come home and SURPRISE, we have another mouth to feed.

I hate being the bad guy, but I have had to put my foot down a few times when talk turned towards getting still more pets. Daily feeding is one thing, but the more animals the greater the chance of massive veterinary bills, plus the unfortunate truth that we'll outlive them and have to say goodbye to ever more loved ones.

Though I do get a certain sense of grim satisfaction when it comes to my daughter's dog whom she chose and campaigned long and hard with my wife to convince me she was mature enough to care for: not only was I proven right that she wasn't ready based on her frequent neglect, but Max has chosen me as his favorite person, following me around, happy to see me, etc. I'm sure he would love to sleep on my bed, but not only is that holy ground reserved for cats, but the fact he's part great dane and can look me in the eye on his hind legs and weighs almost 150 pounds is a bit of a deterrent, lol. He instead has claimed our old futon couch as his own, which is now so ripped up and covered in dog hair that nobody but him wants to sit there anyway any more.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    We've had 5 cats total over the years. My first one, Bear, was black and white and he looked like a panda bear when he was born. Then we got Betty (also a tuxedo cat). Bear got sick and passed away at 7 years old (lung issues, but that whole litter was not well).

Then came Bolt (also a tuxedo). He ended up getting a urinary blockage and though we tried hard to save him, we lost that battle. He was only 6. Betty is now almost 18, and then Bennett and Blitz are grey /grey and white respectively.

I cannot imagine how much litter and food you must go through! Wowsa! That's a full time job! I can barely handle day to day costs of three.

Kudos to you and your family for rescuing so many pets and loving them. That's good mojo.
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited March 2
    Options
    In case anyone is wanting lifting stuff... I preplanned my next 7 week cycle. Made a few tweaks and started again. I'm taking less vids though because it's a public gym and really it all probably gets old to see the same old gifs over and over. Lol

Today I did 5 sets of squats at 175lbs
    8,8,8,12,8. The 12 is because I wanted to get a calculated 1rm of >245lb

Anyone who does more than 5 reps on the regular is insane. Damn near killed me! Lol

This is the last half of that torture 12.
    j6kbeg982pqo.gif
  • nossmf
    Options
    Anyone who does more than 5 reps on the regular is insane. Damn near killed me! Lol

So you're saying you don't want to do my normal routine of 4x15? lol

I remember doing sets of 5 and trying for 1RM's. My shoulders (holding the bar) and spine were starting to complain more than my legs, so doubt I'll ever go back to doing that again!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »

So you're saying you don't want to do my normal routine of 4x15? lol

I remember doing sets of 5 and trying for 1RM's. My shoulders (holding the bar) and spine were starting to complain more than my legs, so doubt I'll ever go back to doing that again!

I really don't know how you do it! You must have fantastic cardio, because it's not even a matter of my legs not being able to push the weight as much as I Just Can't Get Air, my heart is pumping too fast. It's harder for me to regulate my breathing than it is for me to push that weight.

That said I can feel my quads today, so I know it really didn't work LOL.

I don't really think you're insane either!
  • nossmf
    Options
    Why not? My wife does! Every time I go to the gym, she can't understand why anybody would willingly go. But she does enjoy the results of my time in the gym! 😁

As far as cardio under the bar, I haven't done any cardio in months, so doubt that's it. (Though I was recorded with a 50 bpm pulse at my last physical, so who knows?) An alternative theory I came up with in observing your vids, I see a notable difference in how erect we each hold ourselves. Specifically, you remain leaning forward at an angle the entire time, which pinches the diaphragm and can impact breathing. I tend to stand almost vertical.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Another thought: you've been working with sets of 1-3 reps, meaning the weight is a huge fraction of your 1RM and each rep takes forever to complete. My sets of 15 use a fraction of my 1RM, each rep is only a couple seconds per. I do all my inhaling at the top of my stance, hold for the descent, and controlled exhale during the push phase. If I'm only holding my breath for 2 seconds, it's a lot easier than your reps which measure nearly an hour each. (Not really, but you really grind, where I don't until I get to the final few reps of the final set of the day.)
    Options
    Why not? My wife does! Every time I go to the gym, she can't understand why anybody would willingly go. But she does enjoy the results of my time in the gym! 😁

As far as cardio under the bar, I haven't done any cardio in months, so doubt that's it. (Though I was recorded with a 50 bpm pulse at my last physical, so who knows?) An alternative theory I came up with in observing your vids, I see a notable difference in how erect we each hold ourselves. Specifically, you remain leaning forward at an angle the entire time, which pinches the diaphragm and can impact breathing. I tend to stand almost vertical.

This is definatly a tall people problem, since i do the same
    Options

Fun fact, when i did lots of cardio back in 2012 up to 2018 (i cycled 300-500 km a week outside and did 3 spinning classes a week) my rest heartrate was "only" between 65 and 70

Since i started weightlifting, and mostly last 2 years my rest heartrate dropped to 50-55
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    So glad to see fellow men with cats. I have no lifts to contribute, but....

This was right after Christmas. This is Lando sitting in my OL's lap as we play Scrabble. Then Mr. Wade jumped on that table to help me with my word. Lando is 9 months old here, Mr. Wade is probably 12 or so. And no, I did not mean to color coordinate our pets.

k46turgz8cnd.jpg
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited March 4
    Options

Well... this set was at 75% of 1rm, so I was feeling it by rep 5, and really feeling it by rep 8. I decided to go for 12 reps because I wanted the calculated 1rm to hit or bypass my actual 1rm, so I was really pushing hard. Hard enough to have DOMS for two days after. I am sure if I dropped to 50%, i could bang out a lot more, so it really depends on the weight you're moving and what percentage of your max it is,

My first few reps were nowhere near that slow. Just the last ones in that vid. :smile:

as for the angle... as long as the bar is travelling a straight line, it's still a good form squat. The amount of the angle between quads and torso is largely dependent of the bar position on your back and the length of your legs. My legs are long (36" inseam), so that makes a huge difference on my squat angles.

zm7ys7jp3me5.png