Ages 70+

Options

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a rest.
    I'm up. I'm dressed. Hair combed. Breakfast in the oven. Coffee's on. I really can do this. Easily. I just needed that gentle nudge.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Monday Stats:
    1 of 5 days up and street ready before logging on.

As for my weekend: I had a sleepless night Saturday which had me very hungry way before it was my usual time to eat, and then the choice of food I prepared was very satisfying but also helped rack up my intake for the 24 hour period way beyond my allowance. Thank goodness I had a good sleep night last night and have no hunger today, which may lead to this becoming a fasting day and will help even out the caloric intake. I have a doctor appointment on Wednesday and will be paying close attention to their scale weight. It was taken 2 weeks ago at my last appointment.
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    @nsk1951
    Good for you! I hope this will be a day when you stay on target. Sleep is so important. If we don't get enough, then we feel tired and that leads to eating haphazardly, the wrong foods and too much (for me at least).

I'm dressed and ready to go out and run errands now. When I get back, I plan to keep the momentum going and do some housework which is badly needed as I've been tired and lazy lately.

Glad that you're posting here. I check every day and hope others will join in. Maybe in time.
  • Corina1143
    Options
    Up, dressed, breakfast in the oven before 8:30.
    Decided last night since that was so easy, I'd stretch it out by cleaning the kitchen before I sat down.
    Nope.
    When I got up, I decided the bedroom and both bathrooms would be much easier, so I straightened them. That's a win. But I didn't even start on the kitchen 😕.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @Corina1143
    But you're making improvement! You took care of the bedroom and bathrooms. The kitchen can wait until tomorrow.

I did a little better. Needed to vacuum but had to run errands so I drug out the vac and put it in the middle of the living room floor. When I got home, I jumped right on it and got the whole house vacuumed. There's so much more to do but I'm making a dent.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I am 71 years young, very happy to come across this thread.
    I found out along time ago that if I do not plan my days' activities: cleaning, meals, exercise etc. I veer off the path. I make my meals that serve me for two days whether they are breakfast, lunch or dinner.
    I have a list of cleaning chores, then add one to the days' or maybe the weeks' activity(depends what the chore entails ie clean fridge, make a meal. And I do it! I go to the Seniors Center twice a week to meet up with like minded seniors. I go faithfully to the Seniors Centre for the fellowship and exercise; as I do not want to let myself and my partners down (5 of us) if I don't. Everyday I wake up I am thankful for the people, place and things in my life. When I go to bed I am thankful for the people, places and things in my life; I take inventory how my day turned out. I am online everyday recording MyFitnessPal, practicing Spanish and Ukrainian.
    Once a month I meet up with previous co-workers for lunch to catch up and challenge myself to try something anything new.
    I am looking to lose 12# that rebounded since a previous 30# lose during the pandemic. It's all about a journey to health and wellness. Physical, mental, emotional.

I feel strong that I need to be motivated, supported and exercise portion control; mindful eating.
    This thread is perfect for me as I can use my voice to express myself in a more open manner.
    My future posts will not be so longwinded. :)
    Thanks to all for your insightful posts.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Welcome aboard @jonni82014 ... yep! Keep yourself motivated and on track as much as you can manage. That's what we all try to be mindful to do.

Tuesday Stats:
    2 of 5 days street ready before logging on.

It's been a busy day so far. On Tuesdays, some of us get together in the community room for some exercise/stretch for an hour in this senior apartment building I live in. Today we worked with stretch bands, weights, and bars. It's so much easier to do when there is company to do it with!!!
    Afterwards, I had a nice long phone conversation with my sister, and a short one with my son and then off to the supermarket. After I got home I made a meal of a sandwich plate with sides.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    @BarbMessimer ... Thanks for your encouragement.
    I was on one message board for most of the time I have been using MFP. At one time we had enough people posting on a regular basis that we were able to have challenges that we kept track of; not as a competition, but as a rah-rah-rah. I miss those MFP'ers and often wonder how they are making out, if they achieved their goal and if they are well. You do, I think, develop relationships with the 'voice' you read often on these boards, especially when there are responses back and forth.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    @Corina1143 ... it's a work in progress. Every day has it's own rewards and challenges. You did something! That's what counts.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @jonni82014
    So glad you joined us. You certainly fit right in. You sound very disciplined and that's good. I went on a cruise a month ago and got covid the week I got back (from my son, not the cruise). I've been extra tired since getting over it and my housework has piled up. I'd be mortified if anyone came inside my home right now. Hoping to start feeling better. I don't like living like this.
  • nsk1951
    edited March 6
    Options
    Wednesday Stats:
    3 of 5 days street ready before logging on.

It was easier today than on day 2, which was also easier than day 1 had been. Maybe soon I can tag on another item to my 5-day-a-week goals.
    In the past, I used to go 'all gung-ho' when starting a new challenge for myself. Most times it turned out I had bit off more than I could chew, at least in the long run. It made me feel awful about myself when I eventually fell short. This time, I'm trying hard to put the brakes on and go slow and steady.
    PS ... make that what I really had challenged myself to: Week-days, of which there are 5.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @nsk1951
    You're doing great! Keep up the good work!

My goal has been to get going on housework and projects as soon as I get up. Usually, by the time I've had my coffee(s) and signed into the pc, checked emails, etc., I've lost my momentum and do nothing much for the rest of the day, just what I HAVE to. I did better today. Even cleaned out the freezer and threw outdated food away.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Thursday Stats:
    4 of 5 days street ready before logging on.
    Today was the hardest so far. First I just wanted to stay in bed and luxuriate in the whole body wellness I felt this morning; that typically dissolves as soon as I get up and start moving around. Second, I was torn between two desires after I did step out of bed. Getting street ready won out today. One more day for this week to practice on this becoming a habit that replaces what I want to change about my morning routine.

Like you @BarbMessimer I have found that I also lose my momentum the quicker, and longer I am on my computer early in the day. That's one reason why I started this self-challenge. For me, it seems like if I make one tiny tweak to what or how I do something, that more changes happen without my having to hard-tack them as daily goals. I nudge myself into better lifestyle one tiny increment at a time.

Isn't it a shame that we sometimes overstock our pantries and let food get outdated or freezer burned, or rot in the fridge crisper! That was a money and food wasting tendency I tackled long ago but still find myself having too much on hand eventually. Now a days I tackle that by only allowing myself to purchase one new raw protein per grocery trip and focus on using up the frozen ones to fill in with other sources. Since I don't buy frozen foods except for vegetables and proteins, I don't usually end up having to toss things any longer. That said, the rack of ribs I bought late last year really need to be defrosted and used up pretty soon.
  • Corina1143
    Options
    I went shopping yesterday and had Blaze pizza for lunch. So good! Veggies the rest of the day. I slept so well last night!
    Woke up early this morning so it was easy to be ready for the day early. Finally tackling the kitchen today. Cleaning out the freezer is a long term goal. Maybe some day. Yes, I buy way too much food. And too many clothes. I have 3 walk in closets and only me to fill them. Lol.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,437 Member
    edited March 7
    Options
    @nsk1951 Get out the smoker- for those ribs. unless it's -21C/4F :) We are downsizing the foods in our freezer as well. Now, we (DH) and I question if we really need to buy an item on the grocery list or can it wait for the next week grocery shopping. This negotiating has happened in the grocery isle. We are not the only ones. We negotiate with one another on items we want to buy even if it is not grocery related. We have been monthly household budgeting for the last 20 years. Everything we buy and $$ we save has a $$amount attached to it. From vitamins, haircuts, gasoline, coffee money, vacation etc. It's a good feeling to be part of a like minded group. :)
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @nsk1951... I enjoyed your post. I'm going to postpone going on the computer until much later in the day. Also, not turning the TV on in the morning. Let's see if it helps me with getting my projects done. Lots of spring cleaning to do.

@Corina1143... I can relate to you about the clothes. I'm in the process of sorting through what I have and thinning down the closets. Since I'm retired now, I don't wear all those "business casual" clothes I wore to work and could use more room in my (4) closets.

@jonni82014... That's a good idea... "we question if we really need to buy an item on the grocery list or can it wait for the next week grocery shopping." I think I'll do that too except if it's a BOGO. I started writing all my expenses/purchases down a couple of months ago, and it's really helped me tighten up the budget. I was surprised at how much money I was wasting and now look for ways to save.
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.

I think I fit into this group. I will be 74 in May and trying to get a few pounds off (30 actually but would be happy with 10). I know exercise helps and I do get out every day to walk my two dogs but as we still have some snow, the walking is only in the yard. Will be venturing further once the snow is gone and I can wear my runners again instead of the winter boots.

BarbMessiner where did you cruise to? I love travelling and have been on a couple of ocean cruises and a river cruise which I thoroughly enjoyed.

• BarbMessimer
    Options
    @Joy1580vb... Hi and welcome. I didn't start this group but have been on it daily. Having a supportive group makes all the difference. When the weather improves, you'll get out more and the activity will help you a lot! Where do you live? I'm in Florida. Had to turn my air conditioning on today!

I cruised in the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean. I didn't take any shore trips because I'm limited in my walking ability. I went to enjoy the fancy dining and I surely did! I got that all out of my system and am back to losing again. Down 9 pounds since 4 weeks ago.

I hope you'll participate. I look for everyone's posts everyday. Again... WELCOME!
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    BarbMessimer....sounds like a wonderful trip. I did a Caribbean cruise with my then 18 year old granddaughter a few years ago and enjoyed. I live in Canada....cold Alberta. We are just coming out of a deep freeze so our air conditioning is usually only turned on July/August and maybe June in the odd year. Totally different climate from your area.

Well done on the weight loss. I find winters difficult for exercise. Tried doing walking at home videos but just not into it. Love walking outside. I live on a farm so lots of paths and areas to walk inn the spring, summer and fall. Looking forward to that.

Hope others keep coming back and posting.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @Joy1580vb... Living on a farm in Canada! How nice must that be. I bet your summers and falls are spectacular. What part of Canada?