Ages 70+

Options

Replies

• cfriedman44
    cfriedman44 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Carol and I turned 79 this past Sept. It gave me a wakeup call. I have noticed that am losing my short time memory and noticed that am showing signs of loss in my fine motor skills. I have struggled with my weight since l was younger. I would like to meet new friends that will help me to be accountable for what I need to keep me on track. I will do the same as we are all in this together.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Friday Stats
    5 of 5 days street ready before logging on

Well, that was pretty easy to do. But then, the only rule was not to log on until a certain physical condition. I purposely didn't put a time deadline on it because sometimes I wake up with the dawn, and other times that's not enough sleep because of a wakeful night and interrupted sleep.
    Next week I will repeat this same challenge, because it's definitely something that will become much easier to do the longer I do it. However I do want to add something more, just not certain yet what that little tweak will be.

Welcome new posters I know there are two, but their posts are on a different page and I'll lose mine if I go back to look them up. ... Just know that I am happy to see people coming on and hope they come back often. It takes a lot of persistent effort to make changes at any age, but those of us in our 70's sometimes tend to feel hopeless of seeing great changes happen any longer. If feeling that way, just remember that it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing deal to be successful. If one day, or one meal goes off track to what you want in your behavior, just try again with the next day or next meal.
    Niki
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    @Joy1580vb... Living on a farm in Canada! How nice must that be. I bet your summers and falls are spectacular. What part of Canada?

I live in rural Alberta. We are finally out of the deep freeze and enjoying the more comfortable weather.
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Carol and I turned 79 this past Sept. It gave me a wakeup call. I have noticed that am losing my short time memory and noticed that am showing signs of loss in my fine motor skills. I have struggled with my weight since l was younger. I would like to meet new friends that will help me to be accountable for what I need to keep me on track. I will do the same as we are all in this together.

Hi Carol. Yes, it helps to have a supportive group. Whenever you have a bad day and need support, post it here! Glad you joined us. BTW, I'm 77.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @Joy1580vb You are so far away from my state of Florida. I don't think I could manage the weather. I lived in Iowa for a year, was freezing cold all fall and winter. I auctioned off almost everything I owned to get back home and never regretted it for a minute. I would think hearty meals are in order there and I bet you're a good cook!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @nsk1951
    I read that the most important part of sleep is not when you first go to sleep but before you wake up and, if possible, try to sleep in for as long as your body will let you. I've been trying to do that. I've had a terrible time with insomnia for years and am finally off my sleeping pill. Another thing was to not go to bed until you're very sleepy. Don't go to bed and TRY to go to sleep. Let it come naturally.

I did better today too. Dressed and got some projects done before going online. I need to keep doing this. There's a lot that needs to be done here.

I like what you said, "It takes a lot of persistent effort to make changes at any age, but those of us in our 70's sometimes tend to feel hopeless of seeing great changes happen any longer. If feeling that way, just remember that it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing deal to be successful. If one day, or one meal goes off track to what you want in your behavior, just try again with the next day or next meal. I have written that down and will reread it whenever I get discouraged. Thanks, Niki!
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    DH and I had very good conversation this morning about cooking at home. It really saves a lot of money and time. For example we roast a chicken; it serves us 2 meals. Another option if one is not able to cook at home; we have a Senior Centre that provides home cooked meals; free delivery. Affordable. One of their meal will serve two meals. Mindful eating.
  • Joy1580vb
    Options
    Good morning, ladies. Living in a rural area, we have to travel about an hour for our major grocery shopping and doctor appointments. Hubby is turning 75 next month so needed a medical form filled out for his drivers renewal. Went to the appointment and the assistant (not sure if she is a nurse) took his blood pressure, had him read a line on eye chart and checked off a few items on the form....doctor signed it...paid $150.00 and that was it. Will take the form to a registries office on Monday and get his renewal. I was surprised that a cognitive test was not done. Seems like it is all a bit of a cash grab and wonder why they even require it.
  • Joy1580vb
    edited March 9
    Options
    Yes we have cold winters but our spring, summer and fall weather is very nice. I enjoy the four seasons.

Doing laundry this morning and continue with my decluttering and organizing. Have quite a bit to do yet but have made a good start. Picked up some baskets yesterday that I ordered from amazon. They are for my clothes closet and specifically for pants. Will be working on setting that up a bit later today. I think each basket has slots for 8 pairs. Will look neater when I place them on the shelves in the closet and also will be easier to see what is what instead of taking out a stack and looking through them. I have a lot of clothes and had gone through my closet a few months back to keep only what is needed....still ended up with a lot!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @Joy1580vb
    Yes, that seemed like a cash grab. As a RN, I can tell you the cognitive would have been the most important and it wasn't done.

Good for you for jumping into your chores. I did some organizing and decluttering yesterday too. Cleaned the bathroom closets and threw out a lot of old lotions, hotel sample soaps, etc. Swept. Cleaned one of the bedrooms and unstopped the kitchen sink (Had to go buy some Drano). I started taking a magnesium supplement and I think it might be giving me more energy. Hope it continues.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @jonni82014
    I used to eat out a lot. I don't mind cooking, but I hate eating alone and hate doing dishes, plus by the time I buy all the ingredients for a dinner, it can be costly. (Hard to cook for one and I DO freeze a lot of leftovers.)

I've been tracking my spending for a couple of months now and see that I was wasting way too much money, and the nutrition wasn't there so I'm cooking more at home now too. I'm eating whole foods and believe my health is better. Also, I'm down 6 pounds in the past month.
  • Joy1580vb
    Options
    Yes to preparing and eating at home. We do eat out occasionally and I enjoy the break from making meals but our routine is preparing home cooked meals. We have two freezers (an upright and a chest) and tend to buy in bulk especially with meat, divide it up and freeze it. With just my husband and myself in our household, we still shop at Costco and buy in bulk. I try to eat mostly whole foods and stay away from processed for the most part.
  • Joy1580vb
    Options
    BarbMessimer well done on the cleaning. Have read that some people find magnesium supplements can increase their energy.

Got my closet all organised with the bins and it looks good. Not sure what I will tackle next....maybe dresser drawers or kitchen drawers. Project for tomorrow.
  • forestisle
    forestisle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m 71, been yo-yo dieting many years. Need to lose 25 pounds. Starting again and hopefully will find the strength to keep motivated.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    forestisle wrote: »
    I’m 71, been yo-yo dieting many years. Need to lose 25 pounds. Starting again and hopefully will find the strength to keep motivated.

Welcome to our little group. If you need support, you've come to the right place. Don't let anyone kid you, losing weight is hard. The Standard American Diet (SAD) is so bad for us, and we're bombarded with ads for unhealthy foods, not to mention all the fast-food places that line our main highways and tempt us to drive in.

I'm down 68 pounds but it's taken me 3 years... still, it's staying off so that's what matters. You can do it!
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    No Saturday Stats, as my goal is weekdays. However, practicing my new habit had me up and dressed faster than I have in the first week. I like that. I think I'm noticing some little changes in other areas of my lifestyle as well, but it's too early to say for sure. I'm in the 'honeymoon' stage of working on a goal; let's see how I'm doing in week 3!

I've decided on the tweak I'm adding to my first goal. It's building on something I've been doing right along but not really paying attention to the results ... following my daily nutrional macros. My blood glucose level has skyrocketed in the past few months; I think it's part of all the new meds my cardiologist put me on, plus the chemo pill I take for breast cancer but my doctor said 'Well, Niki, what are you eating and drinking? And don't forget, you are getting older." I'll be 79 on the 17th of this month. So ... I'm starting to really look at the daily results of my food logging.

Welcome to the group @forestisle hope you found a place here with us.
    Thanks @BarbMessimer for liking what I said. I really believe it. It's like a friend told me back in 1978 ... You eat an elephant one bite at a time.
    @Joy1580vb I've always wanted to visit Alberta. I'm also from a colder climate .. Western New York between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.
    @jonni82014 I'm curious about your desire to learn Spanish and Ukrainian ... tell more about how you got that spark to learn them.
    @cfriedman44 Hi Carol, we have something in common! Isn't it frustrating when memory and motor skills start giving you trouble! I'm in the same boat.
    Niki.

• cfriedman44
    cfriedman44 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Niki, nice to know someone who can relate. It's scary when just recently started to happen. My knees are really bad and I just thought my walking like a drunk was do to the knees, but my doctor said it could be more and sending me to have an MRI.
    Have a great day enjoy your accomplishments you deserve it.
  • Joy1580vb
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

nsk1951 So sorry to read about your breast cancer diagnosis. I went through treatment at the age of 65 and now cancer free at the age of almost 74. Wishing you all the best going forward.

Nice to see this thread expanding. Welcome to all.

I need to add some type of exercise regime into my daily activities. I like to walk outside but we still have a bit of snow and there are too many ice patches so I'm going to try and find a walking at home video that I can commit to doing every day. I weighed myself this morning and as I expected my weight is up. I was 176 for the longest time.

SW 181.4
    GW 150

Does anyone have any recommendations for walking at home videos? Any other type of exercise that you do?

• jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    @Joy1580vb. I lived in an urban city in Alberta. The cash grab for Senior driver exams at our Medical Clinic - $210.00.

@nsk1951 Learning Ukrainian is my ethnicity; in my youth; every Saturday morning we (siblings) used to go to Ukrainian school in the church basement. Read, write and speak. I lost a lot of those skills when I
    got older. So I decided I would re-visit the language. Keeps the brain sharp.
    Spanish: DH (Dear Husband) and I had an opportunity to visit Latin America (Peru). My son is a Professor at one of the Universities in the US. The University has service/community/cultural program with about 16-20 Students. He (takes his family) goes with the students to Peru every year; for 3 months, so they can partake in a service/community programs ie Entrepreneurial, Agricultural, Business etc. The students are billeted with the local families. I loved the cultural experience. Learning Spanish keeps the brain sharp.

"Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations"

• Joy1580vb
    Options
    jonni82014 Good for you in learning different languages. My husband is Ukrainian and he can understand it a bit but also has lost some of it over the years. I tried learning Italian a few years back before a trip but was not very successful except for a few phrases. Have never visited Peru but would love to.