ISO Someone to Confirm my Math and Assumptions

Options
Base stats: Male, 6'2, 222lbs, low daily activity level (work at a computer)

Intentional Activity: 1km walk to/from the gym with 1 hour push/pull split 4x/week. Off day is usually light cycle or stretch/mobility. Weekends just a bit of walking, pretty sedentary.

Tracking: I track all my calories, maintaining a daily 1800 cal goal. I observe my macros to make sure I am in the "right area" but I don't actively track them. I use a RENPHO smart scale daily to log fluctuation.

Goals: I will say my "goal" is to get down to 200lbs and maintain, but my main goal is just to shed a layer of fat and look decently muscular. If I am happy with my look before I hit 200lbs I will maintain there instead.

Concern 1: From using different calculators on the internet and my scale, I have had a range of 2000 at a min to 2800 cal as my BMR. Can someone help me zone in on this?

Concern 2: MFP calculates my weight lifting sessions between 400 and 500 calories burned. Does this seem accurate/too high/too low? On average my daily lift moves 22,000 lbs of volume if that helps.

Concern 3: For tracking, I chose 1800 to aim for with the idea that I am probably underestimating and realistically (hopefully) am sitting between that and 2000 daily. I have a scale for measuring things like potatoes, but I don't measure things that come in cups or scoops, like a 3/4 cup yogurt or a scoop of protein. I have weighed a bunch of scoops of protein and I am always within two or three grams. I read that nutrition labels have a 20% accuracy differential. I have read a lot on the forums to measure EVERYTHING, but given the 20% from the labels and the fact that when I do measure the difference is negligible, how important is measuring for me? Am I probably screwing up somehow, or should I stick to my semi-proven system?

Advice on any concerns, or anything else that sticks out, is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited March 12
    Options
    Just start somewhere and review in 4-6 weeks. Doubtful you're burning that many calories in the weight room.

Your calorie tracking will be an educated guess at best so don't get too wrapped up in exact numbers right now.

A good rule of thumb is shoot for 10-12 calories per lb of target bodyweight in your situation, hitting protein and fats goals. Adjust as needed after the 4-6 week mark according to your progress or lack of it.
  • Tango_Bravado
    Tango_Bravado Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fair enough. I honestly have no idea how many cals weights burn, but it did seem high. I also don't eat the "exercise" calories from the weights, I just log them. I have found dropping to the 1800-2000 cal range that I am not hungry (maybe a little peckish right before supper), but more so that I want to snack and eat out of habit

I will keep tracking as I have been.

I have been definitely hitting my protein goals. Fat has been a little hit or miss. I am usually between 15g short and bang on. Never seem to go over.

Thanks for your reply!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Ok stick with that then.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Base stats: Male, 6'2, 222lbs, low daily activity level (work at a computer)

...Concern 2: MFP calculates my weight lifting sessions between 400 and 500 calories burned. Does this seem accurate/too high/too low? On average my daily lift moves 22,000 lbs of volume if that helps.

There are several strength training entries in the MFP database. I used to use "Weight training, free weights" but asked about it after I kept reading here that weight lifting doesn't burn a lot of calories. People said yes, it was inflated.

I switched to "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training" which gives me 0.58 of the calories.
  • Tango_Bravado
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There are several strength training entries in the MFP database. I used to use "Weight training, free weights" but asked about it after I kept reading here that weight lifting doesn't burn a lot of calories. People said yes, it was inflated.

I switched to "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training" which gives me 0.58 of the calories.

I will check that out, thank you! I don't eat back my exercise calories so it is more just curiosity for me.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited March 13
    Options
    BMR is the calories to stay alive, literally not moving or eating or digesting. RMR is the calories to do basically nothing. TDEE is what you need to care about. Try this:

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

I'm very similar stats to you. I use this in the Cardio section:

Strength training (weight lifting, weight training), and 60 mins says 301 calories. I manually enter 250 which seems like a reasonable conservative estimate to me using a MET based approach too. Your 400-500 is probably very high unless you're doing a HIIT style circuit workout. You should eat back a conservative amount of workout calories, especially with your calorie target. It's how MFP is designed. The sailrabbit link above factors in your estimated weekly exercise btw.

It's commendable to try and reduce estimation errors where possible, but I wouldn't worry about tiny details. Your daily NEAT (fidgeting, misc movement) will dwarf that anyway.

1800 sounds like it will be a large deficit, probably 1000+ per day. That's not a bad thing, if you can manage it. You'll probably lose more muscle mass at that rate than a smaller deficit. I'd recommend closer to a 500 deficit, but it's not critical, see how you get on.
  • Tango_Bravado
    Options
    Thank you for that calculator, it is great! Yeah, I am looking at a 700 cal deficit according to that calculator, not including my weight sessions, so probably around 1000 on the days I do work out. I have been on this intake so far for three weeks and haven't had any hiccups yet, so I feel like I should be able to maintain it. I went with the four day push/pull split to try and minimize muscle loss, and if I start noticing large muscle or strength loss I will up the calories.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    Ofc if you're losing fat you'll see the muscle you do have, better, even if in fact you're losing a little bit of lean mass in the total mass lost.

You might want to consider a two week break after 2-3 months, both from the diet and the current lifting volume. That'll recharge you for round 2.
  • Tango_Bravado
    Options
    Ofc if you're losing fat you'll see the muscle you do have, better, even if in fact you're losing a little bit of lean mass in the total mass lost.

You might want to consider a two week break after 2-3 months, both from the diet and the current lifting volume. That'll recharge you for round 2.

That is excellent advice. While I have felt great so far, I don't want to burn myself out. Lord knows I have had dreams of dancing donairs lol I will definitely re-evaluate around the 3 month mark and give myself a break/reward.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    edited March 13
    Options
    Dreams of dancing donairs (and other food thoughts and preoccupations) may be an indication of larger than optimal deficits. Assuming you're doing this for health, not work, direction is what's needed to get there, not speed.

In my books break = good. (Food related) Reward not as much.🤔🤷‍♂️
  • jbs116
    jbs116 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    All the tracking and worrying about the math does very little good (especially in the long run). Track for a week, maybe a month, to get an idea about food portions, calories, and macros. Beyond that, you are doing extra work and math for no reason. All of your questions were about numbers, and none of this math is needed to lose weight.

I have been at this a long time. I have watched and talked with many others trying this over the years. Almost everyone that tries to solve a behavioral issue (eating too much) by looking at math will either not lose the weight in the first place or, even worse, lose the weight and regain it (since they never addressed the real issues).

Make small changes over time that are sustainable. Along the way, maybe try to figure out why you eat too much. *kitten* all the calculations. Those are just distractions. Good luck.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited March 13
    Options
    jbs116 wrote: »
    All the tracking and worrying about the math does very little good (especially in the long run). Track for a week, maybe a month, to get an idea about food portions, calories, and macros. Beyond that, you are doing extra work and math for no reason. All of your questions were about numbers, and none of this math is needed to lose weight.

I have been at this a long time. I have watched and talked with many others trying this over the years. Almost everyone that tries to solve a behavioral issue (eating too much) by looking at math will either not lose the weight in the first place or, even worse, lose the weight and regain it (since they never addressed the real issues).

Make small changes over time that are sustainable. Along the way, maybe try to figure out why you eat too much. *kitten* all the calculations. Those are just distractions. Good luck.

Highly personal. The math is what finally allowed me to lose weight AND to realise my metabolism isn't as slow as I thought.

But overthinking the starting point isn't productive - it's better to focus on the math of intake versus actual weight trend instead of theoretical calculators.

And yes, small changes are best, I do agree with that.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options

I can't disagree with your individual perception and I quite agree, if they are viewed as part of a more complete answer, with two sentences in your last paragraph: "Make small changes over time that are sustainable. Along the way, maybe try to figure out why you eat too much"

See I've done the two sentences.

And yet I still count both my calories in and calories out with probably more accuracy than many who are just starting out. Going on 10 years.

The math is not NEEDED to lose weight, but the math has helped me learn myself and validated/confirmed good and bad decisions.

It has helped me manage my weight more granularly and with less negative side effects, and has failed me no more than any other management method to date.

Is there some work involved? Why yes, there is.

Are the work and mind space involved worth it to me?

🐈🐈*kittens*🐈🐈 YES!!!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    Some people are able to operate without logging. I am not one of them, or more accurately I choose to not be one of them. Logging my intake requires less than a minute per day, and the mental peace I receive knowing I'm good to go is immense, with even bigger joy when I see I have more calories left over than anticipated and can indulge in something guilt-free, whether an extra helping of something or some treat.

Sometimes the calculators give quite different results from reality: one said I should be eating nearly 3,000 calories to "maintain" yet I know through history that 2,400 has me gaining weight (on purpose) at an intentionally slow rate.

All the TDEE and BMR calculators, to me, serve only as a starting point for someone who doesn't know where to start. After you have a place to start, I don't see a need to ever reference them again, as any future changes are made now based on evidence over time: losing weight too fast, add calories; not losing fast enough (or gaining), cut calories.
  • Tango_Bravado
    Options
    The math has been a big one for me so far. My problems were that I didn't know how much I was overeating, how much I should be eating, and the difference between WANT and NEED. I am a logic reasoning person, this is typical of systems that work for me. It helps me hold myself accountable. I don't know why someone would argue against that...

I am three weeks in and feel very comfortable with 1800 cal in the goal of trimming some fat. I have found I am sitting around WANTING food, but not because my stomach feels empty or any other physiological reason. This has been fairly eye opening for me.

Also, I said "lol" after the dancing donair comment. In case you couldn't tell, that was a joke. I'm not actually having dreams about some weird dancing donair. I just like them and they don't fit into my currently calorie goals. When I hit my maintenance phase I will be able to have one no problem, which I am content with.

Again, big THANK YOU to everyone who has given supportive advice! I have definitely taken points from people and am already incorporating them :)
  • Retroguy2000
    edited March 13
    Options
    I'm curious to hear your future update. My guess is 1800 will result in two pounds per week, give or take.

I would ignore the first week of data, due to higher water weight loss then.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    @Tango_Bravado, it sounds like you're getting pretty well settled into a good routine.

Tom made a perfect observation up top about running your own personal 4-6 week experiment to validate your initial estimates. You can then use your own average weekly weight change over that whole period (and the assumption that 500 calories a day is roughly a pound of body fat change per week, on average) to dial in an accurate weight loss rate for your body's specific calorie needs.

Yes, that's still an estimate (given the variations in food and packaging regs), but it's the best possible estimate you can get, because it takes into account your own body, plus your own eating/activity/logging patterns (which are likely to tend toward a stable pattern of statistical error over time).

I have just a couple of comments on specific points in your OP, things I didn't see mentioned in a skim-through of the thread. (I snipped from your OP to focus just on the parts I wanted to reply to.)
    Concern 1: From using different calculators on the internet and my scale, I have had a range of 2000 at a min to 2800 cal as my BMR. Can someone help me zone in on this?

The 4-6 week experiment will answer the underlying question.

But just a quibble about terminology: That may be part of the calculator confusion. For weight loss, conceptually we want an estimate of our maintenance calories, then we cut some from that (the deficit) to trigger weight loss.

I had to guess at your age, but the calculator I usually turn to for rough guesses** suggests your BMR would be maybe 2000-2100ish. BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the amount you'd burn flat on your back in bed in a coma, pretty much - not moving at all.

(** https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/ , which I like because it lets a person compare multiple research-based estimating formulas, and has more activity levels (with better descriptions) than most other such calculators.)

For weight management, we want a starting estimate of TDEE, total daily calorie expenditure - the number of calories to maintain our current weight; OR we want an estimate of calorie needs before intentional exercise with the expectation we'll log exercise separately as in MFP.

TDEE is BMR + NEAT + TEF + EAT, where NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) is the calories burned doing daily life stuff like job, home chores, etc.; TEF is thermic effect of food, the number of calories we burn digesting and metabolizing food; and EAT is exercise activity thermogenesis, the calories burned via intentional exercise.

If we use a TDEE-based estimate, we'd average in our exercise plans. If we use the MFP-like method, we'd account for our exercise when we actually do it. Either way, we're fueling the exercise. For anyone who does a material amount of exercise, not accounting for it somewhere runs the risk of undereating. That would be an especially bad plan for anyone whose goals include muscle retention or even gain.

(BTW, that idea of 10-12 calories per pound of goal weight is much less nuanced an estimate than Sailrabbit, MFP, or other online (so-called) calculators you may've consulted. It treats someone with an active job who trains hard for fun the same as someone with a sedentary job whose hobby is watching movies on TV. Even without an active job, I'd lose much faster than any sane person should on 10 calories per pound of goal weight: That's about half my maintenance calories at goal weight, like 1250 when maintenance calories are in the low/mid 2000s. I.e., I'd expect to lose at least two pounds a week at calories 10 times goal weight, a terrible plan at 131 pounds. Even 12 calories per pound would make me lose much faster than sensible for my size - that's true even now, just a few pounds up from goal post holidays, let alone some years back when I had a material amount of weight to lose. I admit I'm a weird outlier in calorie needs: I'm losing weight very slowly now at 1850 + all carefully estimated exercise calories, at 5'5", 131 pounds this morning, female, age 68.)

u 2:[] MFP calculates my weight lifting sessions between 400 and 500 calories burned. Does this seem accurate/too high/too low? On average my daily lift moves 22,000 lbs of volume if that helps.

I use that same "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" entry in the MFP exercise database's cardiovascular section that someone else mentioned, but I don't do much strength training (to my own detriment).

If you like digging into this stuff, this is one of the more nuanced things I've read on the subject of calories burned lifting:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/research-spotlight-expenditure-resistance/

That's just Nuckols' analysis and summary of a study (or two), but he links the studies.

Concern 3: For tracking, I chose 1800 to aim for with the idea that I am probably underestimating and realistically (hopefully) am sitting between that and 2000 daily. I have a scale for measuring things like potatoes, but I don't measure things that come in cups or scoops, like a 3/4 cup yogurt or a scoop of protein. I have weighed a bunch of scoops of protein and I am always within two or three grams. I read that nutrition labels have a 20% accuracy differential. I have read a lot on the forums to measure EVERYTHING, but given the 20% from the labels and the fact that when I do measure the difference is negligible, how important is measuring for me? Am I probably screwing up somehow, or should I stick to my semi-proven system?
    For myself, during that experimental phase, I didn't think I was doing myself any favors by making inaccurate experimental data even more inaccurate. I tried to measure as accurately as I could without obsession, to reduce the sources of variability.

However, approximation can work well enough in practice, if that "science fair" approach isn't appealing.

I'd point out that one of the sources of labeling variation is variations in weight of per piece, per package, or similar. I don't weigh everything that's single-serve pieces or packages, but I weighed calorie-dense items like that at first, enough times to know which varied materially in per-piece/package weights. If there was a lot of variability, enough to be arithmetically significant to me, I kept weighing that item.

Maybe I'm reading incorrectly between the lines, but I'm wondering if you've figured out any of the scale-use shortcuts. For example, I'd always dish up from a multi-serve package using a scale, because it's easier than scoops/cups/spoons as well as more accurate. Put the jar of peanut butter (or whatever) on the scale, zero the display, take out a blob, and note/log the negative number on the scale (it's the amount you took out). Quick, accurate, no extra dishes to wash. There are other similar efficiency tricks.

Like I said, it sounds like you're on a good track. You'll do fine if you stick with it, and adjust as needed based on your real-world results to achieve the slow fat loss rate that would best support your goals.

Best wishes!
  • Tango_Bravado
    Options
    @AnnPT77 thank you for the insight! I will definitely check out that strength resource.

Regarding the 1800-2000, I completely agree with you. To clarify, I am trying to be as accurate to 1800 as I can be, just with the knowledge that between miscalculations and variations in the nutritional info, I might end up being closer to 2000. Single serve stuff I take as face value, and other things I measure until I know what the serving looks like, for example my protein. I measured the first few scoops and found that if I settled the powder and leveled it off, I was consistently within about 2g of the serving size, so I don't weight that anymore. But if I decide one day to have peanut butter and apples, I would weigh that. That is kind of what you are getting at?

Thank you for the support! I am 3 weeks in and my weight has stayed stable, with some decrease in body fat (according to my scale). I have noticed a bit of visual change so I am happy that I am progressing in the right direction. I am looking forward to doing a self review around the 4-6 week mark.
  • AnnPT77
    edited March 14
    Options
    @Tango_Bravado, I was saying that I weighed a lot of things at first, including some whose packaging I now take at face value because I found the weight from one package to the next to be very consistent. (That could be weight per piece or contents of a whole single-serve package.) However, some vary, and if the difference was significant calories, I kept weighing those foods.

It's hard to think of specific examples. One that occurs to me is that recently I've been on a kick for soft pretzel sticks from a local artisan baker. I found that they vary from 75 grams to 100, and that the visual appearance isn't (for me) a good gauge, so I always weigh those. I don't eat them that often, but I always weigh chips, because they vary in . . . granularity? :D Jeez, to read this paragraph, you'd think I only ate snack-y foods. It ain't so! :D They're just understandable examples.

I still use a scale for many things because it's the quickest, easiest way for me, with the scale tricks in the picture. I'm not saying everyone needs to do that, just saying that's what's my choice, best for me.

It's - I think - a personality/outlook thing, but I don't assume a margin of error into my calorie goal, I personally prefer to be more precise with the logged estimates, if it isn't much work and doesn't feel like a compulsion. At this point, even on a high effort day, I'm not spending more than maybe 10 minutes on the whole food logging process, which seems like a small price to pay for staying at a healthy weight for around 8 years now, after decades of overweight/obesity.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Maybe it's a minority who over-eat because they're hedonists who (unsurprisingly) find that food tastes good, I don't know.

But that's pretty much who I am, and the math has been magically effective for me. One of the things I like most about calorie counting is that I can confidently eat every calorie possible without regaining back to class 1 obese, where I had been for many years at the trailing end of about 30 previous years of overweight/obesity.

My inner hedonist likes eating as much as possible, because food is yummy. My inner hedonist also likes being at a healthy weight, because that feels so very much better than being overfat. Those are potentially conflicting goals. It's the math that creates the balance.

In practice, the numbers were extra important for me, because I'm one of the outlier oddballs for whom most calculators estimate calorie needs very inaccurately. MFP and my good brand/model fitness tracker - one that estimates well for others - are both around 25-30% off, which is hundreds of calories.

Don't get me wrong, because I also agree that small changes a person can live with are absolutely vital - or heck, even big changes they can live with, I suppose. If one can't stay the course - on whatever course one chooses - failure is inevitable, pretty much.

I'm not a psychoanalyst, so I don't really know what other people think or feel. Probably if I were a worshiping kind of gal, I'd worship the math, because it was the tool and insight that changed my life after decades of excess weight. (I'm heading into year 8 maintaining a healthy weight. The math makes that quite achievable, in my case.)

If the math is a distraction for you, I don't doubt your word. But my experience differs. Lots.