Why the crap are there still no Salt and Unsaturated Input Fields in MyFitnessPal???

Options
2»

Answers

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,923 Member
    Options
    oushima wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    With your unsaturated fats: in which country is this information available on food labels? I just checked random products in the US and UK, for example McCain fries, Netherlands and Germany (other oven fries), and it's not there. So why should information that is not available on nutritional labels be available to be entered?

all of europe uses unstaturated fat and salt on packaging.
    E.g. AH (a dutch supermarket with 21,000+ products, uses it for all items): https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi112335/ah-witte-bollen

And there are more. what you did doesn't even make sense because that is an american product "McCain fries".

it doesn't matter that the USA uses poly and mono, i need unsaturated. it's not that deep. or an option to add my own input fields. nobody is using the public myfitnesspal database for food, it's wack. all bloated and unverified food values.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    False. All we need is n=1 using it, and I'm using it. I check the entries when I first use them, with respect to the values I care about, then the ones I use routinely are in frequent/recent foods, all nice and clean. It isn't difficult. I suspect quite a few people use it, possibly in a similar manner.

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't want what you want, or that MFP shouldn't provide it. Hyperbolic (false) statements aren't helping you make your case, nor the fact that you're complaining to other MFP users who can't do anything about it at all.

Lietchi mentioned where to post if you want to talk to MFP staff about it.

I use it too. Sure, it's bloated and sometimes glitchy. I deal with it. Here are my tips for finding accurate entries:

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that's what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct. Note: scanning is mostly only available with Premium these days.)