I really struggle with emotional eating

Options
I had a baby almost a year ago and started gaining weight rapidly with my pregnancy I was also severely depressed and by the time I gave birth I had gained 60lbs I’m still trying to lose 44 and can’t seem to I started counting my calories and I’m seeing that I over eat a LOT it’s making me depressed I hate my body and not fitting into anything I feel so uncomfortable. Any advice on how to not cave in when I’m feeling emotional?

Replies

• Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @cookiecrumbles9 - I'm in the process of losing weight also. I'm not an emotional eater. But what helps me is to plan my entire days meals first thing in the morning (sometimes the night before). That way, you can see if your within you're calorie range. If not, you can tweak your meals. Then stick to your plan. When you see the weight coming off you will be inspired and stick to it.
    MFP suggested 1200 calories a day for me. Make sure that you're honest about the amount of exercise you are doing in your profile. That way, MFP can give you a reasonable calorie range. I'm not an expert, but I do believe if you maintain a calorie deficient, you will lose weight.
    Also, if you don't already have one, you may want to get a good kitchen scale. Sometimes, we underestimate the amount of food we are eating.
    Please don't get depressed. Sometimes, it takes a while for the weight to come off. But if you stick within your calorie range, it will come off. Also, I don't think it hurts to have a cheat day once a week or so.
    Good luck to you, Darlene
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Recognizing that you struggle with emotional eating is a great first step. Well done there.

If you’re still struggling, you may wish to consider discussing this with a therapist.

But in the meantime, there are some things you can try.

Journaling helps some people.
    I use sugar free gum, or some other types of things meant for chewing.
    I discovered miswak sticks which have beneficial properties for gum and tooth health. I also have some silicone necklaces that are for chewing. Both are available on amazon and aren’t expensive.
    Even sugar free gum is available in bulk on amazon.

There’s also a bulk eaters thread here somewhere on the forums. You might have a look at that.

But the main thing is you are not alone.
    Lots of support here.
    💐💐💐
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Cookie, have you ever been on medication for depression before? If not, it may be worth a try. I am 61 and have experienced depression since I was 17 years old. When my neurotransmitters are not in balance, I go on food rampages, especially carbs/sweets. Consider a consult.

Another thought is to log onto the community when you feel like binging and ask for help. I've found great advice here, and the people are kind, knowledgeable, and supportive.

As mentioned earlier, you are not alone!
  • Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    @cookiecrumbles9 - It's tough with newborns. If there is anyway you can get a break for yourself and have fun, a dance class, a book club, whatever for a little bit of time each week it might help. It really helped me, I was very heavy when I had my son but luckily lived near a gym and I think the break everyday for 20-30 minutes (all I could spare) was as good as the exercise. I know that isn't always an option though.

I'm an emotional eater too and always feel overwhelmed, I use an app called 'Insight Timer' for meditation and relaxation and listen to Lofi music during the day. That helps some. I take a supplement called L-Theanine, it's from green tea, and it really helps a lot with anxiety.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!