Not sure what's more annoying....

Options
124»

Replies

• DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Not all obese people can have control over their weight. There are people that for whatever reason cannot exercise like a normal person. I only say this because this year I've fought a battle with my leg. My right leg is almost 3 times the size of my left leg. It swells every day. This makes walking for long periods of time very difficult. I can walk across the floor and the leg will give away with me. This makes exercising difficult. I've been to doctor after doctor this year, had ultra sounds, and everything else, and sill have not found what the problem is.

I only tell you this because if people were to look at me, they would make the misconception that I'm lazy. But I'm not. I still try to exercise, I just can't do it the way normal people would.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If i were coming to america, i smoke, and am not religious...where should i go? :)

Come to Nevada! We love smokers and any other sinners, too! LOL j/k But we do allow gambling, bars are open 24 hours and prostitution is legal in most of the state. ;)
  • healthy_KT
    healthy_KT Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Montana and Canada, perfect!

I didn't realise Canada was a state of America!

Wow, the things you learn on here! :drinker:

Technically you just said "where in america." I could be wrong, but I believe many Canadians consider themselves Americans because they are in North America, just not citizens of the US :) Some Canadians also get mildly irritated when you refer to Canada as Northern Minnesota.

I'm sorry but all of the canadians I know consider themselves CANADIAN and are very proud of that fact.

It's interesting to see what this post has turned into since this morning. When I said programs I didn't really mean educational as much as a rehab type program. Something like the biggest loser that everyone had access too. I completely agree that unless you have the willpower to lose weight it won't happen but some people also let their resources get them down. Maybe if Lifetime, ESPN (Or whatever network you're into) turned off their programming once a month or so and told adults to go play outside, like Nickelodeon tells the kids to do, it could lead to something. If healthy food were just as accessible as junk food (and just as cheap) it could lead to something. I completely agree that people need to take responsibility for themselves and gain the will power to do it but there are so many things that society could change to help move the process along quicker. I see more commercials for quick fixes that don't really work than I do for healthy food. How many more advertisements do you see for weight loss surgery than you do for living a healthy lifestyle?
    America's attention span is small. We quickly move from one thing to another and I think that's part of the problem. Our minds our set to not be patient but with weight loss you have to be patient. It is going to take time and dedication and I think that's where most of the people trying to lose weight fail. We need to set America's mind on more of a healthy LIFEstyle and less on a quick fix.
  • waltzesmatilda
    waltzesmatilda Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Technically you just said "where in america." I could be wrong, but I believe many Canadians consider themselves Americans because they are in North America, just not citizens of the US :) Some Canadians also get mildly irritated when you refer to Canada as Northern Minnesota.

I know not of a single Canadian that refer to them self as an American... Unless they are in fact an American living in Canada. :)
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Not all obese people can have control over their weight. There are people that for whatever reason cannot exercise like a normal person. I only say this because this year I've fought a battle with my leg. My right leg is almost 3 times the size of my left leg. It swells every day. This makes walking for long periods of time very difficult. I can walk across the floor and the leg will give away with me. This makes exercising difficult. I've been to doctor after doctor this year, had ultra sounds, and everything else, and sill have not found what the problem is.

I only tell you this because if people were to look at me, they would make the misconception that I'm lazy. But I'm not. I still try to exercise, I just can't do it the way normal people would.

Have you Googled ''paraplegic exercise'' It might help you with the exercise part of weight loss. I hope your leg will get better.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I know not of a single Canadian that refer to them self as an American... Unless they are in fact an American living in Canada. :)

Yay for conflicting anecdotal evidence, I guess? :)
  • cownancy
    Options
    Well, for some people it DOES take more than sheer will power to lose weight. Obesity is a disease. There are many, many MEDICAL reasons why people have problems losing weight and just because "YOU" (meaning anyone) could employ will power, self control and the normal attributes that enables an average person to lose weight doesn't mean EVERYONE can do it that way. I think one of the things I most dislike about MFP is that some of the people here are like ex-smokers....they have lost their compassion for those who do struggle with their obesity. It's not a "one size fits all" solution. Yes, many people can be successful by a change of mindset and actions, but not all.

There are a myriad of mental, emotional and physical reasons that a person cannot lose weight without various types of medical intervention and often the lack of tolerance by the general public just makes it worse. I'm sorry, but this type of generalization that EVERYONE can lose weight if they have the right attitude and aren't just "lazy" drives me crazy!
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Rock on!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Well put Nancy!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    This is another thing that makes me damn glad i dont live in the US! Over here it's as it should be imo. Can you do your job to the company expectations or beyond? Yes? Great. No? Fired. Simple. Personal life is just that. Personal. Bugger all to do with the company.

Sigh, another out of context view of the US. This does not show how the US handles all businesses. Don't you think for a moment if this were the case, that many people would be fired and tobacco companies banned from the US? I mean, I welcome your opinion of America, and that is fine. But, don't take one post and match it to your opinion. There is so much more to America!

I know, i had a good friend who lived in Lexington, and learned a lot about american way of life, and in most ways it was nothing unusual, not much different to here. But certain points really stick out in my mind, i.e. Gun laws, alcohol, gambling, etc. And ofc you have no NHS, which is something that most brits moan about, but at least we HAVE something! Just seeing things like this thread remind me to appreciate our NHS! Can you smoke walking down an open street in the US?

That kind of law would likely be local, not national. This sort of highlights the fact that the US is quite diverse in its attitudes on these topics. I can see some cities where this would be embraced happily (for the most part) and rejected soundly by others.

I also remember telling her we have fruit machines in the bowling alley, £5 jackpot ones that even kids can play, and she was horrified!

Which states would happily embrace the smoking in the street (just for future reference :P )

Come to Wisconsin, you can smoke anywhere you want as long as it's not in a public building. And I can put you up for a few nights if you need. ;)
  • nikkoteeny
    nikkoteeny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As a former super morbidly obese person, I have a couple thoughts:

- I fully admit that my weight was my problem and I had to deal with the negative aspects that came along with it. I never expected special treatment because of my weight. HOWEVER, it was unfair that I was passed over for a promotion because I was overweight. It is also extremely wrong for people to make nasty comments to me or about me.
    -Treating overweight people like criminals is wrong. Its all well and good to say stop coddling them and say they need to lose weight. If it was really that easy then we wouldn't have an obsesity epidemic. You don't have to hold their hand and tell them its gonna be okay but you don't have to be judgemental. People have to realize that losing weight is one most difficult things to do - ever - period. I quit smoking cold turkey and couldn't believe how easily I was able to do it. I wish I could have taken the weight off so easily. But I've never had to pick up a cigarette again in order to survive. Daily we are confronting and trying to control the thing that we need to continue to exist yet is the cause of our problem. Anyone who says its easy is being holier than thou.
    - Some people are happy being overweight, I was for a long time (until it affected my life and health). Then I made the choice to change. Buts that's me. Some people will be happy their entire lives being heavy, others will die miserable. But the same can be said for thin people, rich people, pretty people, ugly people, etc.
    - And if we are going to pick on obese people and smokers, why is it that everyone is okay people who drink too much???? My being fat is not going to hurt you. You can avoid second hand smoke. But if I'm driving down the road and a dead drunk driver hits me head on... me and possibly the rest of my family are dead. Yet you don't get the hue and cry about drinking as you do about smokers & fatties!

Everyone needs to mind their own business, worry about themselves, support others who ask for it, and live the life you choose.

Ah, the voice of reason appears.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about the same thing for years...
  • nikkoteeny
    nikkoteeny Posts: 13 Member
    Options

"America" is generally considered short-form for United States of America. I've lived in Canada for close to 4 years now, having moved from the U.S., and I have never heard a single Canadian refer to themselves as American. In fact, if you were to refer to a Canadian as American, I have a good feeling you'd get whacked upside the head with a hockey stick.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

"America" is generally considered short-form for United States of America. I've lived in Canada for close to 4 years now, having moved from the U.S., and I have never heard a single Canadian refer to themselves as American. In fact, if you were to refer to a Canadian as American, I have a good feeling you'd get whacked upside the head with a hockey stick.
    From what I have learned in high school, technically America should really mean the continent, not the country. But again this term is for those who aren't Americans, like me. LOL
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I recently read an online conversation about this. The subject was "fat positivity" and someone was saying that it seems like we are just accepting obesity and then others argued against her saying being thin doesn't make you healthy and there are plenty of healthy overweight people and unhealthy thin people.

I think there's a big difference between loving who you are no matter what size you are and accepting being unhealthy.
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Well, for some people it DOES take more than sheer will power to lose weight. Obesity is a disease. There are many, many MEDICAL reasons why people have problems losing weight and just because "YOU" (meaning anyone) could employ will power, self control and the normal attributes that enables an average person to lose weight doesn't mean EVERYONE can do it that way. I think one of the things I most dislike about MFP is that some of the people here are like ex-smokers....they have lost their compassion for those who do struggle with their obesity. It's not a "one size fits all" solution. Yes, many people can be successful by a change of mindset and actions, but not all.

There are a myriad of mental, emotional and physical reasons that a person cannot lose weight without various types of medical intervention and often the lack of tolerance by the general public just makes it worse. I'm sorry, but this type of generalization that EVERYONE can lose weight if they have the right attitude and aren't just "lazy" drives me crazy!
    Well said! I think it's important not to forget where you come from (obese to not obese) and how you had to struggle to get there. Spend time championing people that struggle instead of berating them for not having will power.