Ages 70+

Options

Replies

• nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    @BarbMessimer ... You do not have an obligation to make your friends schedule be your own. If you want to continue this friendship, perhaps you might suggest meeting at a later time, and maybe not for 'lunch' or any meal at all, but for some other form of getting together for an hour or so. ... That's something I had suggested to a friend I used to have monthly lunches with and when she made it clear that lunch on her terms were 'it', I stopped having those lunches. Unfortunately, that friendship did come to an end, because it turned out the only thing we had in common was eating together once a month.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    @Yoolypr ... so glad my comment wasn't what sparked you thought pattern in your post, after all.
    I wasn't heavy all my life, but even when I was skinny, I felt fat. Funny thing is, when I got fat, I never felt any different and thus didn't recognize what a 'cow' I was becoming! Luckily, no one ever tried to body-shame me, except myself; LOL!
  • nsk1951
    Options
    AFM ... Happy Day! I had my 6-mo post surgery mammogram results this morning, anything left is currently benign. I'm good for another 6 months before testing again.

I didn't post my work-in-progress stats for a while, I was too stressed out waiting for testing and results to feel motivated enough to post. However, I am happy to report that I have been up and street-ready every day before logging on to my electronic devices ... still need to work on curbing how much time I spend in a day on my computer, though. That's a work in progress, for sure!
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    @mspkmk It used to drive me crazy when older people used to call me "dear". What I dislike is when someone calls me "ma'am". I usually check, tactfully, the doctor's or anyone's that states "a person your age" by saying "tell me about my age and what I might be feeling at this age" That usually quashes the conversation. I would never dream of stating to a person young or old "a person of your age"
    MY DH is 5 years younger than me . I do say to him that I "have to look after my Senior". We get a good laugh.
    @BarbMessimer You're only as old as you feel. Ageism is used towards the young and the old.
    @Yoolypr True words. When you say old guys get a pass. So do pardon me "fat" guys ( I don't like to even write these words). People will say "He's a big guy" (you all know what I mean). We have earned our rights as seniors.
    @BarbMessimer We have to take stock or inventory of the people, places and things in our life that we serve and what serves us. Sounds like your friend of the past wants to vent. Gently detach. Let her know you are a night owl and the lunch times do not agree with your schedule. Perhaps you can continue your friendship on FB and DM.

I'm off to the Senior Centre 45minute walk treadmill and 45minutes stretch, light weights.
    Have a great day :)
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Lots of activity today. Rented a UHaul and my son and I traveled 6 hours round trip to pick up some little plumeria trees. Now I have the big job of transplanting, repotting and fertilizing them. Hoping I burn a lot of calories doing it! Tomorrow will be a rest day though.
  • jonni82014
    Options
    Yesterday was my rest day. Though I don't feel it.
    I'm at a plateau. The plateau has been in motion for 2 weeks. It's bringing my spirits down. I have increased my activity. I'll just have to let nature run her course.
    Off to the Recreation Centre 45minute walk. 50-60minutes strength, weight.
    Have a great day :)
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @jonni82014 ... Plateaus happen. They certainly are demoralizing but it's just the body's way of keeping equilibrium. Hang in there!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    Have been more physical lately and am very tired today. Calf muscles are aching. Tomorrow is a busy day. Son is coming over and I'm planning a nice Easter dinner... so will rest up today. What are your Easter plans?
  • jonni82014
    edited March 30
    Options
    @BarbMessimer True words spoken.
    Want to breakthrough the plateau. Drink water. Heading out to (WEM) Mall for a hike, as the sidewalks and walking trails still have snow and ice on them. Safety. The mall walk is about 2hrs (if we meander); 5.45km (3.39mi). I promise myself a 1 day rest from activity. A nice smoked turkey dinner + salad on Easter Sunday with DH. FaceTime with our kids. Thanks to technology.
    Have a great day everyone. :)
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @jonni82014 ... Sounds like a good plan for today and the smoked turkey dinner sounds great. We're having ham, sweet potatoes, corn, deviled eggs and a relish tray.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    To stay motivated, I like to record numbers, make charts and graphs to measure my weight loss progress. I like to see that I'm heading in the right direction even if it's at a slower pace than I'd like. The main thing I tell myself is I'm getting healthier since I'm not following the SAD (Standard American Diet) and what I eat is good for me. I focus on not eating as much or as often as I used to (or still could) and remind myself that as I continue to eat like this, the amount of fat on my body will continue to decrease. Do you do the same things?
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Nce to find a group of older folks who are still motivated to make changes in their lives.

I have been through a difficult time for me starting with Covid and then a sequence of other challenges. I have slowly added weight during that period and now find myself a good 25 pounds over weight. Equally important is that I have also developed very vad eating habits which also impact how I feel physically and emotionally.

So ... time to change!!! While I am watching calories, my first priority is making sure that I am eating a healthy, anti-inflammatory diet. I am also trying to focus on improving sleep patterns. These will be my focus for April. At tge end of the month I will assess how I am doing and, most importantly, how I am feeling.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone and supplying any support I can. Wishing everyone a great month!
  • jonni82014
    edited March 31
    Options
    Happy Easter to all celebrating! B)
    @jan110144 Welcome true words spoken regarding the impact of "what" we eat or maybe "do not" eat.

Focusing on a new challenge or learning to do something new is a good priority.
    I like to sit down between 2:00-3:00pm with my 1/2 cup of coffee and have a snack.
    My April challenge is to choose a healthy snack in the afternoon and choose almond milk for my coffee instead of almond creamer.
    Today is my rest day Back to the Rec. Centre tomorrow.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Happy Easter to everyone. I am one of the lucky ones who grew up with both a Western and an Eastern religious bend, both Christian .. I got to know and follow the Eastern traditions long before the Western ones and so to me I always associated the Western one with lighthearted fun and the Eastern one with a somber and spiritually deep-thought period of time that came to a joyous climax on Easter Day. But actually, both of them are celebrated, traditionally, because of one belief: resurrection.

In April, I want to resurrect something in my life. I want to make certain to get outdoors every day and enjoy the fresh (well, as fresh as living down-town can offer) air and sun light. It's so easy, with mobility issues and living in a comfortable high rise building to just stay indoors too much. Time to let the sun provide some Vitamin D instead of the drugstore!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @jan110144 ... Welcome. This is a new group and one I look forward to coming to everyday. Women our age often give up on their weight, especially after a lifetime of battling the bulge... but it's more than the weight issue... our health, the quality of our lives and longevity depends on our addressing the issue. I've lost 68 pounds and no longer have diabetes or chronic kidney disease. I'm sure there are many other health reversals too but those are the ones that really stand out.

We have a nice group of ladies here and we all understand what each is going through. Mobility challenges especially impact our efforts, making it take longer to lose weight than if we were more active but, as we lose weight, our mobility increases so every bit of effort towards that end is to the good. That's what motivates me the most!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @nsk1951 ... I like your April goal of getting outdoors more. I'm trying to do that too. I have plants to attend to outside, and if I didn't, I'd probably stay inside with the air conditioning and do nothing. Getting outside connects me with nature and makes me feel more alive!
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Well. I guess starting this journey with a combined holiday feast and birthday party may not have been the best timing! Pretty much nothing went according to plan!

So ... today is day 1.2. Not much on the schedule, so will do some homework and try to get two decent walks in ... my dog is very helpful in making sure I get some daily exercise.

My goal for April is 30 days of planning, cooking and eating healthy food and walking at least 2 miles a day.

@BarbMessimer CONGRATS on your weight loss and health improvements. You are an inspiration!

@nsk1951 I love that we are done with winter. Getting outdoors is a must do for me. May have to dodge raindrops the next week or so, but temps should be good.

@jonni82014 thanks for the welcome. Finding something new is on my list. I am finding myself with way too much time on my hands. I retired my last horse in November and have found myself feeling somewhat lost. Horses took up so much of my time and were also a major social outlet. Struggling to find something to fill that void.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,296 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been away from things for a while due to family issues now i need to refocus on myself so I can be strong for my family.
    Hope you all had a good Easter and that I can join you again.
  • jonni82014
    Options
    Reading all of the positive messages; keep me motivated to continue to do what I need to do for me first. The rest will follow. DH and I walk from our home to the River Valley paths. There are many cases of stairs to attempt. I remember a few years ago; the first set of stairs I came across. Going up 62 stairs to be exact I thought I would have to be air lifted out of the River Valley. :) Now those stairs and another set of 412steps (I take 3 breaks while climbing) are not so intimidating as I have learned to embrace them instead of dreading them. Makes the work climbing them easier. Hip replacement helped as well. :)
    Walking is my form of meditation even though DH is with me. For today we are off to the Rec. Centre. as the River Valley still has skiffs of snow and ice. Safety first. Have a great day everyone!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    @annliz23 ... Welcome back!