Weight Gain and Cellulite

Options
I’m very new to weight lifting so I apologise if this is something regularly discussed or known. I’m generally a very lean 46kgs. Loads of cardio, not afraid to eat carbs. I’ve always been energetic and slim. Recently I decided to switch it up and try gain muscle. The past 10 weeks I’ve progressed from body weight to weights and I’ve gained 5-6kgs in that time. What I also gained though was some cellulite on the back of my thighs and a little pocket of fat under my butt. My muscle gain is going perfect and I’m still very lean so why is this happening? I don’t generally have cellulite nor what appears to be fat. Is it too many carbs for a more sedentary routine?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,449 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite happen to me, but for that reason I’m going to tell you to give it a few weeks before you panic.

I also lift, started about six months into my loss, still not super heavy, but enough to challenge an old chick.

During my large weight loss, I would have these insane episodes of body changes. One morning I woke up and my buns had collapsed like balloon curtains, if you happen to remember those 80’s monstrosities. I was in tears. Alllllll my hard work.

A couple of days later, they’d lifted and tightened, like I’d had plastic surgery.

Ditto bat wing collapsing and then becoming taut.

One morning I woke up and I had thick, bumpy cellulite from hips to knees. It looked like I’d been hit with spray foam insulation.

Yep, a couple days later it was gone and replaced by smooth hard muscle.

When you are working on your body, trying new things, new foods, higher weights etc, it struck me that your body goes through a period I call “rearranging the furniture “. It’s looking for convenient places to move stuff. No not there, let’s try over here.

So before you panic, give your innards a chance to try that sofa/cellulite in a new location to see if it likes it. But carry on doing what you’ve been doing in the meantime.

There’s no reason it couldn’t work for small gains as well as losses.

And BTW, I have intentionally gained a fair amount over the past nearly four years of maintenance, to allow for muscle growth. Have remained same clothing size as I was at my lowest. When my jowls got flappy a few months ago, within a couple weeks, I noticed my neck firmed up and turkey wattle disappeared.

I had some weird stuff happen the other day, and lo and behold-years into this process, now in occasional gain mode- it still holds true. Thighs have thinned out and gained definition “curves” just in past few days.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    edited April 3
    Options
    I had the opposite happen to me, but for that reason I’m going to tell you to give it a few weeks before you panic.

I also lift, started about six months into my loss, still not super heavy, but enough to challenge an old chick.

During my large weight loss, I would have these insane episodes of body changes. One morning I woke up and my buns had collapsed like balloon curtains, if you happen to remember those 80’s monstrosities. I was in tears. Alllllll my hard work.

A couple of days later, they’d lifted and tightened, like I’d had plastic surgery.

Ditto bat wing collapsing and then becoming taut.

One morning I woke up and I had thick, bumpy cellulite from hips to knees. It looked like I’d been hit with spray foam insulation.

Yep, a couple days later it was gone and replaced by smooth hard muscle.

When you are working on your body, trying new things, new foods, higher weights etc, it struck me that your body goes through a period I call “rearranging the furniture “. It’s looking for convenient places to move stuff. No not there, let’s try over here.

So before you panic, give your innards a chance to try that sofa/cellulite in a new location to see if it likes it. But carry on doing what you’ve been doing in the meantime.

There’s no reason it couldn’t work for small gains as well as losses.

And BTW, I have intentionally gained a fair amount over the past nearly four years of maintenance, to allow for muscle growth. Have remained same clothing size as I was at my lowest. When my jowls got flappy a few months ago, within a couple weeks, I noticed my neck firmed up and turkey wattle disappeared.

I had some weird stuff happen the other day, and lo and behold-years into this process, now in occasional gain mode- it still holds true. Thighs have thinned out and gained definition “curves” just in past few days.

🤯 I’m still learning so much here. This is refreshing and couldn’t have come at a better time! Amazing post.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,012 Member
    edited April 3
    Options
    13 lb in that amt of time sounds high! I’m curious to hear what the pros have to say. How big is your surplus? (i.e. how many calories above maintenance are you eating?)
  • amberjanebanks
    amberjanebanks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m not eating above at all. I wouldn’t say that 0.5kg per week almost is a rapid increase considering how small I was to begin with but I will take stock of it thanks
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I’m very new to weight lifting so I apologise if this is something regularly discussed or known. I’m generally a very lean 46kgs. Loads of cardio, not afraid to eat carbs. I’ve always been energetic and slim. Recently I decided to switch it up and try gain muscle. The past 10 weeks I’ve progressed from body weight to weights and I’ve gained 5-6kgs in that time. What I also gained though was some cellulite on the back of my thighs and a little pocket of fat under my butt. My muscle gain is going perfect and I’m still very lean so why is this happening? I don’t generally have cellulite nor what appears to be fat. Is it too many carbs for a more sedentary routine?

To gain 5-6kg in 10 weeks means you will have gained some fat and are probably holding a good amount of water - sadly it won’t be all muscle.

Cellulite is “just” fat which pushes through your layers of skin. But, mine worsens when I’m holding water (hormones or hard exercise session) - maybe because my muscles are swollen so it shows more? If you’ve added heavier weight training to your regime then your muscles will be holding water as they start to repair themselves. In short, cellulite looks worse at certain times ( and in clothing changing rooms 🤣).

If you’re putting on weight you might well be putting on some fat. But roll with it for now (as @springlering62 says above) and see how your body changes over time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    Cellulite appearance is genetic. How you hold fat is different than how someone else does and ANY form of surplus will have you hold some fat, but your body dictates where it holds it first and last. So yours just happens to be where you described and again cellulite appears based on how your genetic cell structure for fat stores are.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png