WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2024

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    M – the only reason I can think that they recommend you keep animals inside during the eclipse is so that they don’t look up to see what is causing the change. I’ll be especially interested in the responses you get about the flooring. I want to get rid of the carpeting at the condo (eventually) and am thinking more on the lines of hardwood. We have carpeting right now and I constantly think of the bacteria that is in it, especially after a while. They had runners in the bathroom. Can you just imagine how gross they probably were? Years of flushing toilets and the droplets getting on the carpeting which you couldn’t wash. Well, in fairness, when it was put in they probably didn’t think of something like that.

I wanted to get a serving bowl for Jess and so ordered it at WalMart. I don’t think they have them in stock. Well, to get free pickup the order had to be at least $35 otherwise there was a $7 charge. No way was I going to pay $7 for a $10 item. So I ordered chlorinating solution for the pool which we needed anyway. Well, picked up the order today and they didn’t have it so the gal told me that they would credit my card and I should reorder it. Well, went to WalMart.com and ordered it. It should be here Mon. I did need to order a few serving bowls that I was going to get anyway but I needed to get the price up so that I wouldn’t be charged for shipping.

Looks like we’ll need a new tractor. This one is about 16 years old. I understand that an average life of a tractor is about 15 years. Is that right kylia? It was sputtering starting so Vince charged the battery. Then it made some sort of buzzing sound. He tried this and that, finally he declared that the engine was dead. So now he’s looking at other tractors. He mentioned a Murray. How is that one, Kylia, regarding things like repairs etc

Vince had to use the walk behind to cut the front lawn and the side. He was complaining about how tired he was just after cutting the front lawn, that part of it was uphill. I’ve done it, it’s really not that bad. But then again, I don’t think he has the stamina that I have.

Annie – kylia had a good suggestion to have water before going out. In addition, you can maybe have something (like popcorn) that will fill you up before you go out so you’re less likely to want to overeat

About Eva the dog Jess had. Well, she’s now at the place in SC. I have a feeling that she’ll be happier. Something like 20 acres to run around in, a quieter environment, etc.

We’ll be at the bowling alley when the eclipse starts.

We rarely go out to dinner. It can be so expensive for what you get! If I cook at home, at least I know how the food was prepared, what went into it, etc.

Annie – I usually ask them to substitute some sort of vege for the fries. I would ask for the hamburger without the bun, but that’s me. I’d ask for extra lettuce and tomato and whatever other topping they have (onions?). I don’t care for pickles

Vince is thinking that we’ll be able to get the covers off the pool tomorrow. Yippee! But he doesn’t think we can start until the afternoon when it’ll be warmer. Wonder if we’ll be able to get both of them done?

Today cut the grass, made chocolate bran muffins. Tomorrow I’ll cut up the head of cabbage for coleslaw and make the orange yogurt popsicles. I’m getting ready for the warmer weather….lol

Lisa – so happy for you that those infusions were approved. You know, maybe Vince and I can put down the flooring. Have to think on that one. What did you do about closets? I’m assuming you put the flooring in there, do you have folding doors?

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    <3
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Flooring-I have the original oak floors on in my house but I didn't want to go through mess and expense of refinish (would have to kick the cats somewhere for a couple of days, etc.) I had a decent quality floating laminate put in-that way I can use the original oak as a selling point. I am getting vinyl plank put in basement here is a month or so. I dislike carpet-I personally thing it traps too much stuff and prefer an area or throw rug strategically placed.

Machka-in U.S. a room can't be billed as a bedroom without a window that provides egress and a closet.

Kylia-our government offices closed for Monday. Main issues appear to be (in addition to all of the schools closing) concerns over traffic (which should be pretty bad over your way with 75) and internet resources. Will be interesting to see if state system stays up the whole day! And you now have me researching Warmies.

Lisa-congrats on the yard clean out beginning! Do hope new meds help.

Heather-having surgeries scheduled is a relief, I am sure. I know in some cases they are starting to do both hips at once-I'm not really sure about that! The better shape you are in the easier the recovery.

Animals and eclipse-agree with Michele-from what I read people were worried that animals would look at the sun and have eye damage. Articles I read said that animals really don't look at such things like humans do. My cats will be in the house and I won't worry too much about them looking out the window at the sun.

Lanette-I had totally new faucet put in kitchen sink. This was the first one I ever paid to get put in (except for complete kitchen remodel). As long as your pipes out of the wall are good (old houses they can corrode) it isn't a bad job-just now my old bones don' like fitting in the tight spaces and the positions required at times!)

Have been reading along but don't remember everything. Just doing my standard. Have some work stuff to do today. Want to get taxes filed (have been putting them off, I know I will have to pay this year). Going to get a workout end before church.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – the only reason I can think that they recommend you keep animals inside during the eclipse is so that they don’t look up to see what is causing the change.
    Michele NC

It would be funny/sad if they actually believed that!

About the only viable reason would be that if there are hoards of people around, the people could cause anxiety in animals or worse, people could harm animals either unintentionally (increased traffic = increase chance of free roaming animals being hit) or intentionally (weirdness around the eclipse might trigger someone to try to harm an animal like people occasionally do to black cats).

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited April 7
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Flooring-I have the original oak floors on in my house but I didn't want to go through mess and expense of refinish (would have to kick the cats somewhere for a couple of days, etc.) I had a decent quality floating laminate put in-that way I can use the original oak as a selling point. I am getting vinyl plank put in basement here is a month or so. I dislike carpet-I personally thing it traps too much stuff and prefer an area or throw rug strategically placed.

Machka-in U.S. a room can't be billed as a bedroom without a window that provides egress and a closet.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

Original oak floors would be wonderful!!! One house we considered had them and they are gorgeous.

However, the best we can do is engineered hardwood but evidently that can look pretty good too. :)

I'm with you on carpet ... all carpet strikes me as dirty because it traps too much stuff, especially if a person has pets, and especially if a person doesn't have their carpets professionally cleaned every 6 months. Even if a person vacuums a lot, carpet still collects a lot of stuff every day, and there's evidence that vacuuming could make the particles of whatever's in the carpet to become airborne.

My husband and I both like to walk around in bare feet, and walking on carpet in bare feet just isn't nice. I don't like the feel of carpet on my feet and don't like thinking about all the yuck I could be walking on.

Also, both of us have asthma (to varying degrees) and I'm allergic to dust mites too. Carpets are full of dust mites and can trigger asthma issues.

Do Carpets Impair Indoor Air Quality and Cause Adverse Health Outcomes: A Review
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5858259/

12 Surprising Facts About Dirty Carpets You Probably Didn’t Know
    https://www.onyamagazine.com/australian-affairs/12-surprising-facts-about-dirty-carpets-you-probably-didnt-know/

I have not liked the carpet in the place we currently live but as we rent here, we couldn't do anything about it.

Fortunately the bathroom, toilet room, laundry room and kitchen here are lino. We've got rugs in the bathroom which can be tossed in the wash when we wash the towels. That's good ... I know they are reasonably clean!

From what I can gather, closets (called "built-in robes or BIRs) are a relatively new thing in bedrooms here. Older houses certainly don't have them ... you buy a wardrobe! In the old days, the wardrobes were wooden pieces of furniture. Now they are modern things which can be installed so that they almost look built in.

Our current house is slightly more modern in that it has a small closet in one room, a smaller closet in another room, and no closet in the room we use as a sleeping room. We bought a wardrobe for my clothes - a modern style wardrobe.

Vintage style wardrobes - you can find these everywhere in OP shops and Tip shops!
    ozz18886e71x.png

Machka in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    edited April 7
    Options
    Barbara I would just be happy at this time to slow down and take 10 chews before swallowing to start!

Evelyn Over fifty years ago my dad had high blood pressure. At that time they had Doctors on staff to take care of employees. He went in and he prescribed him a pill which he took. He went in again and it was even higher, he wanted to up his pills. My dad on his own decided to change his habit of drinking tea with a good slug of TANG (artificial orange drink full of sugar). Turns out he drank it right before seeing the doctor. When he stopped drinking the TANG his blood sugar went down. He was so discussed that no one asked him about his habit and diet only wanted to prescribe him a pill that it took him a long time to return to see a doctor. No surprise that I am one that thinks how and what you eat can have a tremendous effect on your health. Other habits and environments also pay a strong influence too!

I found sugar and sleep affect my blood pressure. As I said in a different post changing my diet blood pressure has gone from 135-140 to 110-120 lower 85-90 to 76-82. Life is less stressful on the whole for me too which helps too.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,540 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    ☘️ Terri

This is a watercolour I finished just before Easter.
    82gbhsrspb4o.jpeg

Beautiful!

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,842 Member
    Options
    Today is a day of rest! No housework today! Take the day off and play games!!

gw9fuap5eftc.jpeg
    mafzax6a28kb.jpeg
    97ep639yrj6s.jpeg