What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Given the choice, I always work out first thing after waking up in the morning, no breakfast, just a caffeine pill, an Emergen-C/creatine drink, and go.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited April 6
    Options
    Another 60'+3' stationary bike, 92W average. This time was a slog. Still fighting (presumably health-condition-related) fatigue. (If only we could figure out what the condition is . . . . Waiting on path lab results post EGD, not sure whether they'll be revelatory.)

Usually, aiming for the Z2 workout, I have to rein in the intensity to stay Z2. Today, I had to push to stick the duration while holding reasonable(-ish) intensity. Ugh.

Did some body weight squats, donkey kicks, dead hang.
    nossmf wrote: »
    Given the choice, I always work out first thing after waking up in the morning, no breakfast, just a caffeine pill, an Emergen-C/creatine drink, and go.

This is so individual! If it works for you, that's great, sincerely. You know I'm more of a cardio person. I don't think that's the important factor, though. I think this is subjective and n=1.

I feel miserable if I work out with any intensity first thing in the AM, with no breakfast. With extreme motivation, I can perform. (Evidence: 2016 World Rowing Indoor Virtual Sprints.) It feels awful. Crash and burn after, though. I wish this were not so. Maybe it's trainable, but I don't have the commitment to see.

I can handle up to about 20 minutes, moderate intensity, not feel too bad. Higher intensity, longer duration . . . miserable, subjectively. Exhausted, burned out, likely to step up to the 800-calorie milkshake (or similar) later in the day if unchecked. Fasted workouts are a no, for me. :D

I'm a big believer that people need to experiment, find their own n=1 truth. I think it varies.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower Hypertrophy

Squats 5x10
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Lying Leg Curl 3x12
    Calves Extend 4x15 <superset> Cable Crunch 4x10

I fully realize different people respond differently to food and exercise. If I have anything in my stomach during exercise of any type, I feel miserable at best, like I'm going to vomit at worst. Had a buddy in the military who would go straight from chow hall to the gym, that's how he liked it. YMMV.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Wednesday
    Climbing. I was terrible. I got one V3, but it was a major struggle. 2 hours.

Friday
    Swimming, 1.5 km.

Saturday
    To compensate for Wednesday, gravity was lower today. I got a load of projects. They covered a range of styles; my favourite was an overhang jump-y one. I'm normally terrible at these, so it was a pleasant surprise to get it.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I'd planned a rowing machine interval workout today, but it was too nice outside (sunny, 50F, just a little windy). Therefore, I took an actual outdoor bike ride instead, 16.9 miles, 10.5mph average moving speed. Fresh air and sunshine: Revitalizing. :)
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    9f72skqe5ivr.jpeg
    This is me, most days.
    Sometimes I go for just a half hour. Sometimes I do a bit longer.

This is it. And nearly always late at night.
  • Chloe2181
    Chloe2181 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love T25, its a killer, you sweat like mad but the progression is awesome and its only 25 minutes a day, until you get to Friday that is 😂. I have used it on and off for years doing the moderator and only doing when I can like 2 times a week only sometimes, in between having my 3 babies fitness went in the back burner for a while. But for the first time I have the calendar on my wall and I am on week 4 next week and feeling so strong and motivated with mostly full moves 👌✨
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I swam 1km this morning. It was a nice spring day, so I did a 12 mile walk in the afternoon (mixing units in this post).
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    I swam 1km this morning. It was a nice spring day, so I did a 12 mile walk in the afternoon (mixing units in this post).

LOL! I can relate. I bike in miles, row in meters. ;)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Checking in after an absence. Some of you may recall my colon cancer diagnosis and surgery back in Dec. Since I was stage 2A, I had the option to do preventative chemo or not. I chose to do it, mainly so I won't have any regrets later.
    Today is the final day of my second cycle of chemo pills (1 cycle = 2 weeks on, 1 week off). I've got eight total to do. The first one involved very few side effects, but now I've got hand-foot syndrome, a common side effect of capecitebine. My feet are very red and feel like I've walked across burning sand; my hands are unusually dry.
    Needless to say, this is affecting my workouts. I'm still doing 10-20 min. daily walks with my dog, but that's about it. Yesterday I was driving past my gym so stopped in. I rode the stationary bike for 10 min, but it bothered my already sore feet. I was pleasantly surprised that the rowing machine did not cause any additional foot discomfort, so that's going to be my go-to for the next few months. I also worked in some bicep curls (2X12), shoulder presses (2X8), and arm extensions (2X10) with 10 lb free weights, then a series of leg stretches that my PT told me to do twice daily.

Cancer treatment is the worst hobby I ever had - definitely sub-recreational - so I empathize. Worth it, though, IMO. (I had a different cancer, so different regimen. They all kinda s*ck, but I'm glad they exist.)

I admire that you're continuing to do what you're able to do, and experimenting to figure out what's most doable. Hang in there!

Sending wishes for excellent outcomes!
  • stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    About 17.000 steps
  • nossmf
    Options
    Upper Power

Bench Press 5x3
    Cable Row 5x5
    Machine Decline Press 5x5
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Standing Smith OHP 5x5
    Cable Woodchoppers 3x10 (High, Cross, Low)
  • AllaboutDaCake
    AllaboutDaCake Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Started my day with Yoga and I have boxing class in 1 hour.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Too nice today, 70F+ (21C+) and sunny, so I took a real bike ride. As a bonus, the frequently-Spring-flooded trail to the North (where it cuts under a highway next to a flood-y creek) was open, so I headed up that way for the first time this season.

Lots of flowering trees, lovely daffodils here and there, two camels next to the trail (yes, real, live camels here in Michigan), many handsome dogs . . . it was excellent. Total a bit over 22 miles, moving average 10.4mph. I was tired at the end, gotta admit.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower Power

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 5x5
    One-Leg Press 5x5 <superset> Leg Press Calf Extend 5x15
    Roman Chair Knee-Ups 4x20
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Cooler and rainy today, plus I spent the daylight hours working on getting my (bleep) income taxes done (myself, not accountant), so back to stationary bike. My body was running hot today for some reason, so while sticking with the 60'+3' Z2 workout, I could only manage 87W average and still hit 97% Z2. Oh, well.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Took the bike back to the route I did the other day to see how the new shorter stem performed. I didn't really like it, so I rode back to the bike shop and had the original stem put back on. I like how the bike feels again. I'll need to put a few hundred miles on it and then decide if it's the right stem length for me or not.

A friend rode with me. He's been riding the gravel roads in our area for a long time, and he said he's got some fun places to take me. He's more sure of himself on steep gravel descents. I felt more comfortable today than on Sunday, but still feel a bit weird about going that fast on gravel.
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

1jfp2ggkonog.jpg

This then 3 sprints at as fast as the treadmill would go, 23kmh, for as long as I could with 2 minute rest between.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Yesterday

Weights: Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 4x10
    DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Row 4x10 (2 sets pronated, 2 sets supinated)
    Pulldown 3x10 (1 set each hands over, under, neutral-grip)
    Face Pull 3x10
    Cable Lateral Raise 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x10 (5-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15sec

Considering it was after a full day's work with double commute, plus only 4 hours sleep due to picking up my daughter from the airport, it went better than expected!

Today

Weights: Lower Hypertrophy

Squats 5x10
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Lying Leg Curl 3x12
    Calves Extend 4x15 <superset> Cable Crunch 4x10