WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2024

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    Today is a good day to celebrate Pecans! We have several orchards around Roswell. How do you say the word ‘pecan’ “pee-kahn” or “pee-can”? I lean toward the latter. I hear both versions at the park.

v04nrq54kfpa.jpeg
    y34k6v0nfn6m.jpeg
    ve4f1h4vjg08.jpeg

RVRita
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,390 Member
    edited April 14
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Today is a good day to celebrate Pecans! We have several orchards around Roswell. How do you say the word ‘pecan’ “pee-kahn” or “pee-can”? I lean toward the latter. I hear both versions at the park.

RVRita

Neither one! :D It's puh-KAHN, with the emphasis on the second syllable... and I grew up surrounded by them and pine forests. It was a toss-up which was messier, but the pecans usually won - each spring they'd put off catkins as long as your finger, that we called "willies," (sorry about that for my UK and Irish friends), in the millions. Then as the nuts finished ripening, it would shed all the nut coverings, then the nuts would fall. By then, the webworm caterpillars would start spinning at the end of the branches, leaving these globes of spider-web-looking balls, then those fuzzy little boogers would start falling. There's a tree around here somewhere, because we find the pecans hidden in piles of leaves where the squirrels stash them. It's not in the yard, thank goodness.

Corey's buzzing around on the big mower, and I'm debating on walking down with the push-behind while I'm still sweaty and getting the very front mowed. It's too slanted to put the big mower on it, too dangerous. I finally got the last of the siding down, and all the webs and decades of filth cleaned off and the siding and hundreds of nails and everything discarded. That carport's cleaner than it's been since we moved in! We're going to furr out the two solid sides to level out the three different surfaces that are now visible, and cover up the door that we blocked up to make the mudroom a few years back. Might be a project we tackle while my friend and her husband are here... :smiley: That would get Corey a pair of hands that aren't mine to get a reasonably large project completed in a short amount of time. Free labor is always good.

Anyway, I think I will go do that while I still have a skosh of energy left.

KJ - I'm with Heather. Enlist all the help you can. Your energy, time (and sleep) are precious. Congrats on getting the weight under 250!

Welcome to those who are new as well... Drop into any conversation that interests you - they move fast!

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,546 Member
    Options
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    B)
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    🐈‍⬛
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Cathe Slow and Heavy DVD (one part) then walked to Food Lion to get potatoes that were on sale for Vince and his bananas. Then we started on the pool. It’s getting there, just need to give it more time. Making yogurt right now

Lanette – the prednisone was 6 one day, 6 the next, then 4 one day, 4 the next, then 2 one day, then 2 the next but the pharmacy miscounted the pills (or I screwed up) and didn’t give me enough for the last day. But I think I’m OK. I still have a little pain, but nothing at all like before. So it has helped and it probably will continue to help for the next few days. Maybe that did contribute to the depression. That and the fact that it rained for 2 days so I couldn’t even take my walk.

KJ – thanks for telling me to pass on the backpack. You’re right, every kid knows what they want. Never thought of a gift card. I’m trying to remember what my kids (back in the stone age...lol) needed for the first day of kindergarten. Oh, yes, it can be pricey to visit grandchildren. We don’t have to fly, but the last time we went up there for a few days it cost us over $800. Between food, hotel, someone to watch the cat(s) and give the medication. But SOOO worth it The thing is, this time we will need to go back up there the following week since that’s when Steve is having his picnic. But when we worked it out, it’s cheaper to drive home than to have to stay up there for the week and to top it off it’s Memorial Day weekend! At least we’ll be home for the weekend.

Oh, remember my girlfriend in Switzerland who has the tumor? Well, she’s starting chemo this week. Guess the radiation helped. Since (thank god) I don’t have any personal experience to call upon, what’s something nice to send to someone going thru chemo. Remember, she’s in Switzerland so it’s not like I can just pop in and help her with housework, etc.

We had some of the red ants so I googled how to get rid of them. One of the suggestions was white vinegar. So I put some where they were. They did scurry a bit, but I guess the next time I cut the grass and disturb that area, I’ll know if the vinegar worked.

Rita – I really don’t like the weather when you need pants in the morning, shorts in the afternoon, then the pants again in the evening. But as long as it isn’t raining, I’m OK. Even tho I don’t like changing clothing all the time

Debbie – so THAT’S what dragon fruit looks like. I’ve only had it cut up

Michele NC
    who so far has 14,000 steps for the day

d85dccm1gma1.png

I am sure mine will never get that big-that is an old plant-.
    Actually, looking at it closer- that is at least four plants that they planted around a large pole and it grows up the pole.
    A few neighbors around here have them growing up an old dead tree stump/tree.

For Micelle, the pink things are the actual fruit. Can you buy the fruit in Florida?

We can get it if we go to Queensland.

M in Oz