WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2024

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options

Carol in GA: So sorry you lost your friend. You’ve had a time of it lately. (((Hugs)))
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps. It’s dull but dry here. DH has a small procedure scheduled today at 1.30pm. Just an injection needed he has a small spot on his cheek that his consultant wants to deal with before it becomes any more troublesome.

I’m planning to clear out the dining room this morning as I am inviting the family for dinner on Sunday to celebrate my 78th birthday on Saturday. It will just be a buffet, also want to. Do my Latin prep for tomorrow morning.

We will have a quiet celebration just the two of us on Saturday night, and open a bottle of Prosecco. I bought a small tiramisu each for us.

Spoken language is intriguing. Although Northern Ireland is quite small, we have a variety of colloquial accents. I say pee-can with the emphasis on the first syllable.

Machka: I reckon I am on the cusp of the Learning Zone and the Growth Zone. I’m a firm believer in lifelong learning, especially because of its therapeutic importance in keeping the brain healthy, hence my volunteering work with U3A.

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

Happy Birthday!!
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,392 Member
    Options
    Terri - Hope it's a grand birthday!
    f2k59t3cmu4h.gif
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Ugh Machka, both your dentist experiences sound horrible. :o My teeth are just about hanging on. Lots of broken ones, which we are leaving, unless they cause trouble. They are filled and you can't see them from the front. Same for John. If they were easily visible, or causing infections, I would have to do something about them.

Carol - So sorry for all your losses recently, especially your friend. These things can be very disorientating and take away our roots. As someone who is very embedded in her friends, I feel for you. Is there anyone you can talk to?

My new navy long-sleeve T shirt washed OK. I did it in cool water with other v dark stuff. Always have to take precautions the first time. M&S dyes are usually OK, but I would never trust it the first wash.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxx

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Terri - Happy Birthday!

Beth - thinking of you, hoping your physical symptoms are just pre-surgery anxiety. Good luck at the doc's.

Machka - ouch, sorry to hear about the dentist visit for you and your DH. Great to see your energy has returned and you and your DH are advancing with the fencing.

Lisa - thank you for the organ recital regarding the Watchman and blood thinners. Nice that you got to see the handsome doctor. ;) Good luck with the VA. Crossing fingers the Skyrizi does the trick.

Vicki - good that you had an employee who made it 5 years and I understand about not wanting to attend a function. Hope the recognition dinner was short and sweet and you were able to get some relaxation time at home.

Sue - very happy that your Afib is better now that toxic tenant has flown the coop. The Seattle Symphony was just what you needed. <3

Carol - sorry you have lost your friend. So nice that you kept in touch with her all throughout the years. <3

Rebecca - love the hair styles! You'd look great in cuts like that - though I think your current style is very becoming. ;) If I knew of a good stylist I'd give a short one a try.

Debbie - I checked on the Medicare.gov website, and PAP smears are covered. So it's good that those of us in the US who are on Medicare will continue to have the costs covered if we still need to get them.

Comment on female cancer in older gals - both my mom and my grandmother (her mom) had endometrial cancer in their mid-80's, symptom was bleeding. Both had surgery and radiation. Grandmother sailed right through it and lived a healthy life with a sharp brain for 7 more years until she suffered a stroke at 92. My mom, who was already starting down the road to dementia, complained of abdominal pain in the ensuing years. I have a hunch it was due to the effects of the radiation or adhesions from the surgery.

As far as I know, PAP smears are not generally used for endometrial cancer detection as they are geared toward cervical cancer, but it's up to us and our doctors to determine if these tests are useful after age 65. We are all different and looks like continuation of PAP smears is advisable in some cases. ;)

Heading out in a bit to run errands. Need to drop off DH's old computer and monitors for recycle, buy new outdoor Muck shoes, grab some pasture seed and organic potting soil and hit the library. Then some mowing this afternoon. It's about 33F right now, need it a few degrees warmer to move the tomatoes back into the chilly greenhouse.

Have a super day, ladies!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Today is: Watch out for those Velociraptors while teaching your pets to drive and eating animal crackers!

9jclhes9dvzn.jpeg
    6ntpjczngr8j.jpeg
    rxhj41vuumxe.jpeg
    yxwy0sgf8mmr.jpeg

RVRita who is watching the lizards run around outside in Roswell, NM

Hopefully while not in a coma! LOL
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    MsElphaba wrote: »
    Hello!
    It's been over a week since I have been able to check in, so I'll have to take time to get caught up on the 311 posts since then!

Trip to Minnesota for my niece's baby shower was amazing! Such a pretty state! I had a great time helping my sister prep for the shower. She also turned me loose in the Mall of America one day while she had to work for a bit. Hit my step count that day!!

Came back from MN with a cracked molar. Not a fan of dentists, so navigating the way between a dentist, oral surgeon, and dental insurance is nerve wracking. I'm about to the point where I just want to let this thing rot in my mouth rather than deal with it all.

As for good news, I have been enjoying my new camera. I'm trying to stay away from the automatic functions and use more of the manual features, something I wasn't really good at 14 years ago when I last had a DSLR. I found a good group on FaceBook and bought a Dummies book for my camera model. Thought I was getting the hang of it, but then took a bunch of pictures of my dogs last night that were all black! Almost thought I left my lens cap on. :D

Make it a great day!

Linda
    Jacksonville, FL

I’ve had an SLR camera since my now 45 YO daughter was born. I took a home course for it back then and got pretty good, then I stopped using it. Once I sold it, years later, I went to a Sony DSLR. Still needed to use the settings to get decent pictures, so re-read everything I could on settings and about the DSLR. Was without an SLR for a while then started traveling with the RV. Bought a Cannon Rebel and a couple of lenses. I don’t use it nearly enough since we settled here at Bottomless Lakes, but still pull it out once in a while. Took some ‘cool’ pictures of the October eclipse with it, even without the proper lense! Took the pics through the eclipse glasses, lol.

This is making me want to take it back out and get used to it again! I really should. I spent a lot on the camera and lenses.

RVRita who will see if she can find the pictures from the eclipse to share…..

Rita, It feels so good to have it back in my hand again. I bought a Canon EOS Rebel T7. My previous one was a Canon, 1D maybe? I've been a Canon girl since I got a SureShot in 1985 as high school graduation present from my grandmother.

What's this a murder mystery? Sounds fun!

Linda
    Jacksonville, FL