Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Options
1737475767779»

Replies

• dougl004
    dougl004 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    titus2cat wrote: »
    When my 3 year old granddaughter patted my middle and said “Grandma Cat, you is SQUISHY”. Started MFP one week ago with a goal of losing 40 pounds. I weigh on Mondays, so I will see if I am any less squishy tomorrow.

Kids have no filter. Gotta love them 🥰
  • dougl004
    Options
    I went to the knee doctor to get them fixed and was told I had to lose weight to qualify for knee sugery.

I hope you've been able to reach your weight loss goals and quality for knee surgery
  • dougl004
    Options
    I'm making new goals for myself on my wellness journey. I hope you all also take the time to see what's working, what elements of your journey needs to be revised, and what are your most proud accomplishments thus far.

Keep those revelation moments coming. I know we all can relate to those moments when we realized enough is enough.
  • tiffanyleilarsen
    tiffanyleilarsen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I sat on the floor I couldn't get up by myself.
  • Dr_Jay_23
    Dr_Jay_23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I woke up and decided enough was enough.
  • Winning4EJ
    Winning4EJ Posts: 47 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    The physical comforts of being lighter, clothes lay more comfortably, body moves more easily, the expenses of gaining and self esteem.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Winning4EJ wrote: »
    clothes lay more comfortably

This is my favorite. Being big most clothes make me uncomfortable.
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Two times but the same reason - health.

First time - I was at my highest weight in the 260's at age 24. I had a bad reaction to medication which made my blood pressure increase to 180/110. One of my grandfathers died in his early 40's from a heart attack and that number scared me. I eventually lost 150 pounds.

Second time - When everything shut down due to the pandemic, I didn't handle that very well. My husband and I usually have a lot of plans - concerts, games, vacations, day trips - all of that was closed or cancelled. I sat around being depressed and feeling sorry for myself. I would go to bed at night and hope I didn't wake up. I let myself get very sedentary. Also, I had to work from home which meant I could cook for every meal. I'm a great cook and overeating has always been my number one problem.

When everything opened back up and I went back to in-person work, I still kept overeating and being sedentary as it had become a lifestyle by then. I gained 40 pounds altogether. I had pre-diabetic test results last year, which you'd think would have been a wake-up call, but it wasn't. I had the official T2D diagnosis this year and that finally snapped me back into reality.

I lost those 40 pounds. I'm hoping there won't have to be a third time.
  • cucumbercupcake
    Options
    When I sat on the floor I couldn't get up by myself.

I can't sit on the floor without falling over!
  • spacetreemonkey
    spacetreemonkey Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    One of the first times was realising I was 20kg heavier than a pregnant woman at my school who was the same height as me, and she was like 8 months along. That was mortifying.
  • YourWorstNightMary
    Options
    i had a hysterectomy which gave me my life back. so now I'm making sure i get to really live.
  • coma49
    coma49 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well I have seen and read everything here before and I agree with most of them that at a certain point to be fat is not the new wave I am 74 years and a high profile person not to say also a father of two kids and four grandkids I had a smoking life of 50 years and using alcohol more than was good for me for about 40 years I stopped it 14 years ago from that moment old I was getting more and more weight at that moment I decided to go down again and try to fit in those clothes I used to wear before I quit smoking and drinking now that's why I am here on this site it's difficult to learn the program I do my best to understand as much as possible and it goes in the right way I lost one kilo in about 1 week well let's see what in here for me bye bye
  • IzzieD93
    IzzieD93 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My final straw was when I recently became single and had nothing better to do than to just walk for hours.
    Once I started losing the weight I realised my body wasn't hurting me as much anymore! (I'm only 5ft 😅). 2nd time round was after having my child.

I didn't want to be the overweight mum, so really tried to push it and now I'm still on my weightloss journey!
    Haven't even reached 60kg again which is great! But still not where I want to be!

Went from 72kg back in 2013 to now 55kg.
  • dougl004
    Options
    As the summer is quickly approaching, I'm challenging myself to get outside and enjoy more of the sunshine. I'm also making it a priority to eat at least one fresh fruit or veggie at every meal. What are your summer goals? How do you plan to reach them?
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 812 Member
    edited April 20
    Options
    When all my clothes were way too tight. I was pretty over saying I was going to lose the weight, then days turned into months, turned into years. I came here to get a reality check and started taking it seriously. I’m now in maintenance 🙌🏻.
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    For me, it has always been about being healthier whils trying to manage long term health conditions. On & off yo - yo dieting trying to manage the fatigue that comes with the conditins, work & bring up a family, & coping my mechanisms have resulted in a developed, unhealthy relationship with food…has only taken me 30 years to work this out & stiil learning.😬🙄🥴

Further health scare 2023 & hopefully, finally (🤞) starting to get my *kitten* together.
    Battlein a flare of my autoimmune diseases at the moment, but bit more 40 lbs now lost … only another 40 to go to healthy range goal! 🤗