Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited May 10
    Options
    Hmmm.

on mfp forums I'm definitely using regular, not private, browser (edge or chrome) not logging in and out other than very occasionally, would have said yes to base cookies and definitely do not get asked questions YET. So there's hope.

On the phone I do get the "full page" thingy when I open the app sometimes and have to hunt for the little tiny x up top to make it go away.

Base, not premium, versions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I’m also now frequently getting a login screen, the one with the attaboy graph that looks like the big smiley face, and another one I’m blanking on, besides the Oreo one.

And MFP is absolutely draining my battery for some reason.

Huh. I've been having battery issues lately. I read the forums on my computer and log on either that or my phone, depending. Will try closing the app on my phone when not using that to see if that helps.

Re the Oreos, I only get that message after clearing my cache, which I'm not currently doing very often. I'm not private browsing.

Yep, battery problems here as well, more than usual. I thought it was Batterygate Scandal 2.0. Didn’t occur to me it might be MFP related.

I just learned how to check app battery usage. I see Safari is 34% and MFP 9%. I don’t know if that is normal or not.

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/84108/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hmmm.

on mfp forums I'm definitely using regular, not private, browser (edge or chrome) not logging in and out other than very occasionally, would have said yes to base cookies and definitely do not get asked questions YET. So there's hope.

On the phone I do get the "full page" thingy when I open the app sometimes and have to hunt for the little tiny x up top to make it go away.

Base, not premium, versions.

Samesies, generally, on the Community interactions, though I do use the app when out and about (coffee shop or restaurants, etc., where I entertain myself with MFP).

Maybe I'm a complete f'n idiot, but I do have a background in computer security, to some extent. I honestly don't worry about cookies from reasonably reputable sites. I accept 'em all. It's how sites "maintain state", i.e., remember where we are, what we've done, analyze what we might want to do next, etc. Without cookies, we're close to looking like just our most recent key-presses or clicks. I like convenience.

Yes, the marketers (secondary parties independent of the main site) track us with cookies. Guess what, those guys are pros at tracking us, even without cookies. I haven't done it lately, don't know whether it's still even an option, but at one point a person could run inquiries to see who/what the marketers thought we were. I found it hilarious. I get curious and look at a lot of things. What they thought about me was significantly off base. Even now, I get ads that think I live somewhere wildly different than I do, think I speak languages that I don't, and more.

I think: Don't have delusions that you're hiding. In the online world, we're commodities. Most of the consequences are pretty trivial, IME.

Just my opinions, and I'm justifiably an idiot.

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 812 Member
    edited May 10
    Options
    at one point a person could run inquiries to see who/what the marketers thought we were. I found it hilarious. I get curious and look at a lot of things. What they thought about me was significantly off base. Even now, I get ads that think I live somewhere wildly different than I do, think I speak languages that I don't, and more.

Maybe it’s perimenopause but I got so tired/annoyed only seeing ads and opinions designed for me. Like, what if I want to see what the other side has to say? What if I want to know what the next best fishing pole does? I’m a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Edit: wrong quote
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    I think: Don't have delusions that you're hiding. In the online world, we're commodities. Most of the consequences are pretty trivial, IME.

Just my opinions, and I'm justifiably an idiot

Maybe it’s perimenopause but I got so tired of only seeing ads and opinions designed for me. Like, what if I want to see what the other side has to say? What if I want to know what the next best fishing pole does? I’m a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Visit weird sites, watch improbable videos, click on crazy ads. :D

Works for me. ;)
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Just my opinions, and I'm justifiably an idiot

Maybe it’s perimenopause but I got so tired of only seeing ads and opinions designed for me. Like, what if I want to see what the other side has to say? What if I want to know what the next best fishing pole does? I’m a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Visit weird sites, watch improbable videos, click on crazy ads. :D

Works for me. ;)

Omg lol, I love it 😂.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    It is the one thing that *kittens* me off and I regularly have to think about making places forget "the box" that I am painted in by feeding me the same stuff I click on once. FFS I DO want to hear the OPPOSITE viewpoint too you *kitten*... but I digress.

Generally it is not like you can escape (designated as) essential cookies so there's that. Beyond that "by policy" I avoid them..
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It is the one thing that *kittens* me off and I regularly have to think about making places forget "the box" that I am painted in by feeding me the same stuff I click on once. FFS I DO want to hear the OPPOSITE viewpoint too you *kitten*... but I digress.

Generally it is not like you can escape (designated as) essential cookies so there's that. Beyond that "by policy" I avoid them..

Preach!

Btw, every time I see your name I think Pavlov. Did you know he didn’t win his Nobel Prize for conditional reflexes, but for his studies of digestive physiology. And it wasn’t a bell, but a buzzard. A lost in translation sort of thing. The more you know 🌈 lol.

Now I’ve digressed.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited May 10
    Options
    ...not hearing any other side than mine...

what could possibly go wrong?

I'm even less computer savvy than probably any of ya'll. I am also probably way more paranoid than I need to be about cookies, but when my 2016 hp/Windows computer started slowing down, that was the only thing I knew to try.

non-Pro tip. That may or may not have helped. It did make me feel better.
  • ddsb1111
    edited May 10
    Options

I'm even less computer savvy than probably any of ya'll. I am also probably way more paranoid than I need to be about cookies, but when my 2016 hp/Windows computer started slowing down, that was the only thing I knew to try.

Progress! I only have the pop-up when signing in instead of every page change. Changes I made- zero 😂

Give me architectural software programs and I look like a computer savant. Ask me basic questions about IT, I’m in the weeds.
  • kshama2001
    Options

On older computers, I run CCleaner regularly. I keep ignoring the pitches to use the paid version.

https://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/3000-18512_4-10315544.html

• ddsb1111
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

On older computers, I run CCleaner regularly. I keep ignoring the pitches to use the paid version.

https://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/3000-18512_4-10315544.html

I have a feeling this will be useful to quite a few people here. There’s too many scams so I’ve completely avoided the paid options.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    lolol

I posted this morning that I'm paranoid and not that computer savvy.

I looked at that website and I don't think I'd be able to figure out what needs to go and what needs to stay. I'd be deleting my OS, pretty sure.

@kshama2001, love ya gal, but linking a paranoid person to a program I have to download goes directly into the Nope File. :lol:
  • PAV8888
    edited May 10
    Options
    CC was ok but got overly aggressive a few years back and I sort of stopped using it.

Would double check my clicks carefully as opposed to fly by clickedly click based on last remembered use

Not sure where it's now
  • kshama2001
    Options
    lolol

I posted this morning that I'm paranoid and not that computer savvy.

I looked at that website and I don't think I'd be able to figure out what needs to go and what needs to stay. I'd be deleting my OS, pretty sure.

@kshama2001, love ya gal, but linking a paranoid person to a program I have to download goes directly into the Nope File. :lol:

I trust CNET for downloads but I hear ya :smiley:

You can also clear cache/cookies, etc. manually through the browser/application itself, which is too inefficient for me, but certainly more secure than a 3rd party app. (My IT guy almost 20 years ago recommended CCleaner, and I've never had an issue with it. I mostly just use Custom Clean, which I've set as the default.)

Warning: using CCleaner will sign you out of most sites. I use the LastPass password manager. For LastPass I actually use a paid version so it will sync my phone and PC. I have some complaints about the phone version but I've been using it for PC for over 10 years. I'm not recommending this for you either, @cmriverside, just rambling :lol:

This is a newer computer and I haven't done it in a while, so got rid of 5.45 GB of junk, which does not include the browser I'm using, as I left it (Opera) open to continue on this post.

0mj1256qv95s.png

With older computers, doing this regularly definitely improved performance, but towards the end of their lifespan this would be from "Unacceptable" to "Barely Acceptable."
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options
    As a total OT aside to this thread, be cautious of keeping a computer too long, like some of you mention.

I’ve been religiously backing up my 2012 MacBook to an external hard drive because it was in great shape, worked fine.

Then the battery completely went and it was taking a longer and longer time to boot up, so time to upgrade.

Come to find out, this thing is three versions of lightning plugs ago, the best software I can update it to, because if it’s age, is not compatible with Icloud, and it takes three or four adapters to hook this to that to that to that to try to transfer data- primarily precious family photos. The hard drives are compatible with the new iPad I bought, but were taking hours to upload small batches of photos, and even then files were getting hung or corrupted . The little teeny jump drives I bought aren’t recognized by either the old laptop, or if they are, the iPad won’t recognize them.

It took many many hours of experimenting and googling forums, but I finally found a PITA workaround, starting with culling 7,000 of the 30,000 photos I had stored, just to make it manageable.

I bet I’ve got 150 hours invested in this project and have many more to go.

We don’t even want to use iCloud, but the workaround is the only way to salvage the photos, get them safely into the cloud and then bring them back to a jump drive or device.

And the workaround has stripped all date location etc info from the photos, creating an utter S Show.

Even if your old device “works just fine, bah, I don’t need a new one”, make sure you’re current on technology. Its a nightmare when you’re backhanded by new stuff you didn’t know existed.

This has been the biggest fekking headache since I set my office on a new system for Y2K.

I thought I was comparatively computer savvy but good grief, I am not.