Anyone using injectible weight loss meds ? (Ozempic, etc.)

Answers

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    For those of you with the nausea side effect, how did you manage this?
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 222 Member
    I started Zepbound last week. Other than a headache the day after the first dose I didn’t have any problems. I have to lose about 70 lbs, high cholesterol and high blood pressure, pre diabetes. I have been somewhat successful with just calorie counting, a few times I’ve lost 20-30 lbs only to regain so I decided to try something else.

I’m disappointed with the naysayers who seem to think we’re just not trying hard enough. I need to get out of the yo yo mindset. I’ve never been able to get to an average weight on my own, months of restriction just to put it right back on.
  • josh250to180
    josh250to180 Posts: 36 Member
    Just commenting here... the pharmaceutical companies encourage obesity. They make money on it. Its their cash cow, so to speak.

The semaglutide will ONLY work if you are not eating junk, and are elevating your physicality. Otherwise, it is just a fad without any true purpose besides making the pharmaceutical companies richer. And they know that further down the line, you will be ready to take more of their meds that enable you to still eat like crap.

I got my bloodwork back from the doc. Tris, lipids and liver enzymes all pre-cardiac arrest. I know there is one surefire cure: eating right, eating less, losing weight and increasing cardio activity. And it all sums up to will power.

I made a deal with him. I am going to lose weight in 2 months, and if my blood panel isn't down, I will get on the cholesterol meds until they are.

I say all that to just make sure you only use meds until you don't have to. And most of the meds manufactured for metabolic disease most people don't need permanently. Treat it as a medical condition, not a stigma. The medical condition is poor bloodwork from poor diet and lethargy. Change that, and everything else is icing.

Cheers!
  • josh250to180
    josh250to180 Posts: 36 Member
    Allgaun wrote: »

I’m disappointed with the naysayers who seem to think we’re just not trying hard enough. I need to get out of the yo yo mindset. I’ve never been able to get to an average weight on my own, months of restriction just to put it right back on.

Its not necessarily your fault. Its free-market corporate America. Most ads are about things to make you obese, or to eventually deal with the results of your obesity. Fat people make companies rich. They buy the meds, they buy the bigger sizes, they give in to temptation at literally every corner from their stressful job. They watch tv, where every other ad is either about crappy food they shouldn't eat, or a medication because they do.

Ive been lucky to this point. I am at the limit of "I don't need medication". But I am probably 10 years or less away from a cardiac event if nothing changes. And my father just had a triple bypass, after a near-fatal heart attack. This is a man that didn't take any meds. Now, he is on 10 different meds to cure his heart. So I am mentally motivated to do better. Bring it on, corporate America. :#
  • Angelica_p2
    Angelica_p2 Posts: 4 Member
    dezs2sons wrote: »
    Yes it’s really helped me stay in control and is helping me as I learn without all the food noise

I started taking ozempic 23rd May 2024. I have a strong family history of Diabetes and have tried everything to lose weight - which I succeed, and then put it all back on. I have been YoYo'ing all my adult life, and have other health issues because of my weight including high blood pressure and very sore knees and hips. I haven't been able to put my finger on it but thankyou - I don't have that "food noise" in my head which screams at me everytime I feel the slightest bit hungry, and when I start eating I cannot stop. The receptor in my brain that tells me I am full takes a good 2 hours to work, and at that point I have well and truly over eaten. I am now very much in control as the appetite just isn't there anymore. I believe that I just needed a little help for my Pancreas to release a bit more insulin as my food intake has been pretty healthy. I don't eat fast foods, or sugary treats, and I stick to 1200 calories a day in order to create a deficit. I feel like the semi glutide is keeping me on an even keel, and I have lost 9.7 pounds (4.4 kgs) in 5 weeks of starting the medication, with minimum side effects. I am still in the Obese category, and I just want to get to a point where I am in a normal and healthy weight range.
    I sometimes feel a bit nauseous but nothing I can't handle. I don't judge anyone that has tried semiglutide to try and get out of the Obese and overweight categories, but those who only have a few kgs to lose (who are still in the healthy weight categories, and want to take semiglutide for esthetic purposes) should perhaps try other methods before messing around with such a potent drug.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,076 Member
    Drugs for weight loss is a temporary bandaid at best.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,944 Member

Or…. Perhaps it’s OK to use the tools available? Especially when accompanied by the support and supervision of an individual’s medical team?

I didn’t ask my doctor to be prescribed a semeglutide. My doctor suggested it to me because, even though I have already lost a significant amount of weight, it has not helped my NAFLD.

I don’t think anyone is saying that weight loss drugs are a magic trick. I think we are acknowledging that theses drugs need to be used alongside exercise, habit changes, and good diet choices.

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,076 Member

Or…. Perhaps it’s OK to use the tools available? Especially when accompanied by the support and supervision of an individual’s medical team?

I didn’t ask my doctor to be prescribed a semeglutide. My doctor suggested it to me because, even though I have already lost a significant amount of weight, it has not helped my NAFLD.

I don’t think anyone is saying that weight loss drugs are a magic trick. I think we are acknowledging that theses drugs need to be used alongside exercise, habit changes, and good diet choices.
    Many people do think they are a magic wand and either regain the weight when “job done” by going back to their old habits or don’t lose because they think they just have to take the drug and eat whatever they want.

They work when the person has a clear understanding of proper use and implements a lifestyle change post medication however that isn’t always the case.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,944 Member

Many people do think they are a magic wand and either regain the weight when “job done” by going back to their old habits or don’t lose because they think they just have to take the drug and eat whatever they want.

They work when the person has a clear understanding of proper use and implements a lifestyle change post medication however that isn’t always the case.

Which is off topic for this post.

This post is a support post for people who are using semeglutides, which are prescribed by their medical team. This process often involves some kind of weight management program.

We already know that habit changes, managing calorie intake, and exercising in an appropriate manner are an important part of the process. What that looks like will be different for each individual, and will likely be managed with the assistance of the individual’s medical team.

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 954 Member
    edited July 4
    Not using it, but I have been reading about it - it's terribly expensive for a drug you may have to stay on forever in order to maintain the results. And there are unknown long term risks. But then, you do have to weigh the risks against the risks of long-term morbid obesity.

It does appear that statistically people regain 70% of the weight within a year of going off it, which speaks to a lack of learning new habits among the general population that is using it. So I think if someone wants to use it, they should combine it with a lot of other support, intentional habit training, and possibly therapy.

This interview is interesting if you have a couple of hours to invest. He uses Ozempic and recently wrote a book. https://youtu.be/0YMnHNIuK3M?si=faYI4VQBsX9F2pJX
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,069 Member
    Just read the above referenced Magic Pill by Johann Hari. The info on the latest injectibles in the first part of the book provides a good overview along with his personal experience before filling the remainder of the book with boilerplate diet advice and un-unique observations. The interview was more helpful than his book.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

I think both of these points are very important.

As I said on the previous page, the first one happened to me back in the 90s when Fenfluramine was withdrawn from the market.

If it's "not working" what may in fact be going on is that it's not enough to effortlessly create a calorie deficit. The formula is not (Inject Drug = Lose Weight,) it's (Inject Drug + Eat Less/Move More = Lose Weight.)

Lots of people have said semaglutides reduce food noise so that it's easy to (eat less and thus) lose weight, but I'm sure this isn't universally easy.