Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Crazy Marketing Claims in Ads

Options
123457»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options

Shame on you MFP. You should know better than that.

c0615vzpxcbz.jpeg

The actual article isn't bad, IMO, and it does say at one point that one loses fat, gains muscle. (". . . you could shed 15 pounds of fat and build 15 pounds of muscle mass but see no difference on the scale. That’s body recomposition at work!").

But they don't directly debunk their own clickbait tagline explicitly, and even repeat it ("Body recomposition is a long-term process of turning fat into muscle — but this isn’t something you can half-commit to. You’ll need to focus on your nutrition, fitness plans, and other lifestyle choices."). That's tacky and misleading.

One fun fact: When they repeat the clickbait-y idea, the words "turning fat into muscle" link this article, which says "Stem cells from fat tissue have the potential to become muscle, bone, or fat, according to a study by Rodriguez and colleagues".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2213185/

Read in context, that's a limited finding, and not directly on point to their blog post's situation IMO. 🙄
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,051 Member
    Options
    yes I know - it's got the hyperbole of 'scientifically backed' and says a poetic licence catch phrase of a few words rather than "Learn the science-backed way to reduce fat and increase muscle".

It is an ad.

But to me that isnt that far off the mark and doing what it suggests - ie strenthening excercises as pictured - would acheive what people are expecting it to achieve.

Just doesn't seem anywhere near the league of 'lose weight with crystals' and co

But hey, dont let me ruin the fun.

Do carry on...
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,730 Member
    Options
    This one isn’t weight related but can I just stomp my foot for a moment at how it and similar ones are pissing me off?

kwq54hxd2nt4.jpeg

I get fighting mad every time I see this fake AI senior goddess and her magic cream.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    os7ixt630oca.png
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,735 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    os7ixt630oca.png

The Forbidden Tater Tot!
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    An ad on my Facebook feed

They’re getting absolutely roasted in the comments, for making some claims that are dubious.

4gtt6axcgtrs.jpeg
  • springlering62
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    os7ixt630oca.png

Egregiously false advertising. Burns me up.

And how many people will the discount “oral semiglutide” poison?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Hey kwebz8dcl7r1.jpg
    Hey all.... look what got posted in the health section this morning 🤣 We can all lose 60-70 pounds in 2 months if we just sign up with this health coach on whatsapp!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Hey kwebz8dcl7r1.jpg
    Hey all.... look what got posted in the health section this morning 🤣 We can all lose 60-70 pounds in 2 months if we just sign up with this health coach on whatsapp!
    Dude isn't even a certified instructor of any type.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• MargaretYakoda
    edited May 26
    Options
    The scammers are out in force lately

I reported one recently that was using these photos
    Reverse image search showed she’s a busy girl. Showing off her “natural” weight loss here in the forums, and telling people how to lose 50 pounds in 2 months, while also shilling weight loss supplements in a Medium blog post, while also working as an underwear model for Walmart!

o65b3sngkjs1.jpeg
    1qce7ro01ohz.jpeg

And there’s this one, whose username is as good as a url to a weight loss scam site.

I flagged it and added my can-o-spam meme.

They’re gone now, but the reliance on five flags to get a post like this taken down is suboptimal, because it took more than 12 hours.

nrza8nyiato7.png
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    If people want to help the scammers go away quicker, go ahead and flag them but also report them at the link below...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10002226/please-flag-the-spam/p1

Many of the admins, moderators, and spam killers have that thread bookmarked, so anything reported can usually be killed fairly quickly.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,223 Member
    Options
    Phew, this one's a doozy as well. With 10k likes!

0isjhvfco1y2.jpg

z4ycvk38yw3u.jpg
  • Vette8828
    Vette8828 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try 1 and 2 to lose 79 lbs then 3 to triple that loss to 222 lbs in one month!
    Wish me luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Wonder whatever happened LEG MAGIC?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    Options
    I’ve got a couple folks in my family that are obsessive head scratchers, and we’re not talking the four-legged family members.

If head scratching to lose weight were really a thing, both would look like stick figures by now.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Vette8828 wrote: »
    I'm going to try 1 and 2 to lose 79 lbs then 3 to triple that loss to 222 lbs in one month!
    Wish me luck.

That. Is. Hilarious. 😂
  • springlering62
    Options
    Wait a doggone minute!

Scrolled up to see what 1 and 2 are. Happened to relook at @MargaretYakoda ’s screen shot.

Is my mind playing tricks on me or do I really see a link to an automotive shop for “honeycomb briefs/underwear for vaginal and body shaping”?

WT utter absolute unbelievable F?!!!!!!

I. Just. Can’t. Believe. My. Eyes.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Wait a doggone minute!

Scrolled up to see what 1 and 2 are. Happened to relook at @MargaretYakoda ’s screen shot.

Is my mind playing tricks on me or do I really see a link to an automotive shop for “honeycomb briefs/underwear for vaginal and body shaping”?

WT utter absolute unbelievable F?!!!!!!

I. Just. Can’t. Believe. My. Eyes.

PT Barnum would have loved the internet