Sugar Cravings are killing me

Options
I am trying to use MFP to get some level of control and clarity on my health and diet. For the last two years it seems like a never ending climb upward on the weight scale no matter what I do. I am closer to 50 than 40 and dealing with menopause symptoms. I know sugar and alchohol and frankly just getting a bit lazy on the activity scene , has been a big part of issue. I have given up the alchohol , no issue there, and I have gotten into a fitness routine but I struggle daily , sometimes multiple times a day with wanting sweets. Cookies, pudding, candy, whatever I can get my hands on. I do keep a few things in the house. I have tried not having it in the house and it almost makes it worse because then I will obsess about it and then go to the store . (and usually over buy things) I blew it today and and over ate on my calories and macros. I only ate one cookie but I just overate in general. I was hungry which might have had something to do with being unrested from last two nights of lack of sleep.
I feel like crap and want to kick myself repeatedly. If I could get rid of the sweet cravings, I think I would do alot better. I can usually go a day or two without them if I really work hard at it but by the third day, its impossible and I cave. I have tried alot of things but nothing really seems to break this habit. Tomorrow I feel like I am going to have to work out double hard to offset things from today.
Tagged:

Replies

• lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What are your macros like? I've found that when I pumped up the protein and healthy fats my carb cravings decreased. I also agree with the single-serving pack advice.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Can you give your stats and how much of a deficit you’re aiming for? Sometimes a craving is just that, but other times it can be a response to too low calories, or even too high processed carbs / not enough protein, which gives a blood sugar spike then drop, leaving to the craving cycle.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,807 Member
    edited May 19
    Options
    Anything that is a problem just don’t bring it into the house. If you have those thing screaming at you in the grocery store to put ‘em in your cart maybe have someone else do your shopping or use instacart. It all comes down to having willpower. It’s an inside job.

You’ll have to decide between junk food and weightloss, pick one…..
  • lisakatz2
    edited May 19
    Options
    other times it can be a response to too low calories

I agree with this 100 percent. I know that when my calories are too low I crave all kinds of stuff I normally never crave, like donuts. It's like my body is screaming for sugar.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    Anything that is a problem just don’t bring it into the house. If you have those thing screaming at you in the grocery store to put ‘em in your cart maybe have someone else do your shopping or use instacart. It all comes down to having willpower. It’s an inside job.

It depends who else is in the house. Sometimes it's not practical to ban sweets and stuff like chips/crisps from the home. My hubs, who is very slender and lean, likes chips and candy. I make him hide 'em, then if I do have a craving I ask. It also gives me an opportunity to reflect as to whether I really want the treat, or can pass.

• HappyDonkey75
    HappyDonkey75 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My calories are 1400 right now and my Macros are Carbs 40%, Protein 35% and Fats 25%.

Yes calories are a bit low but the struggle with sugar is there even when I was set at about anywhere between 1800-2000 calories. For me, it really doesn't seem to matter. In fact I was hard core keto many years ago and was fit enough to be doing Spartan races , Tony Horton workouts , and riding endurance horses 100 miles a week. It was still a struggle then.

I do realize its choices and fighting through the cravings is something the only option on the table for me. Sometimes if I can talk myself though it and distract myself with something else, like a walk or a task I can manage. I just am reaching out because I want this monster to go away or atleast not rear its ugly head daily for me. Sugar addiction is a real thing and I am envious of those who have no desire for that. I do come from a family over eaters and super heavy people, who eat rather unhealthy. I often wonder if its the genetic code at some level playing a part.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited May 19
    Options
    Hi, and Welcome to the site. :flowerforyou:

I'll just warn you that using the word "addiction" and sugar together on this site is going to cause an argument. Ask me how I know. :lol:

I agree with you that there is a genetic (biological) component to the compulsion and inability to stop with certain food(s.) If that were not the case then prescribed medications wouldn't work as well as they do to stop the compulsions. However, that is not a mainstream accepted belief at this time. People who don't struggle with this cannot or will not understand.

For me there are many foods that are just off-limits unless I accept that One Package Is One Serving...no matter the size of that package. I will eat the whole thing before I go to bed, regardless of calories or fullness. I've tried for nearly two decades to find a workaround, but the only answer for me is not starting to eat it unless I agree that I'm about to eat 1800 calories of _ _ _ _ _ _.

Here's a recent very informative sugar/addiction/compulsion thread. . .and you can use the Search box above to find many more:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10847203/no-sugar-or-flour-food-addiction#latest
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I find that I do better when I allow myself a sweet treat every day. I try to save it for the end of the day, knowing I have a treat to look forward to.

Individual portion packs are my go to. But even then, there are some foods I cannot have in the house.

I sub dark chocolate squares (Ghiradelli 72%) over milk chocolate. For me, milk chocolate is dangerous.

You might put off the sweet treat with fruit, tea, or even a diet soda. Watch the fake sugar though, for some this can also be a trigger.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    My cravings for less nutrient-dense sweets (candy, baked goods) were reduced when I made it a point to eat several servings of whole fruit daily. I started with 3 servings daily.

That won't work for everyone, but others here besides me have said they found it helpful. It might be worth a try, if you haven't already tried it.

It took a short number of weeks to be effective for me . . . I think around 2-3, but I don't remember for sure. But neither instant nor super long.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 673 Member
    edited May 19
    Options
    @HappyDonkey75 - i was surprised to hear you say that you still experience the strong cravings even when sticking to a keto plan.

There does seem to be a bio-chemical response in the body for some people that seems to drive persistent voracious cravings... On the extreme end would be the Prader syndrome, but various classes of drugs have a known side effect that suppresses appetite or compulsions.

Have you ever tried a prescription drug and found relief? Think that might be a discussion to have with a doctor and might be worth asking.
  • HappyDonkey75
    Options
    @Adventurista -right, it was unusual for keto. Never heard of Prader syndrome. I have never tried any RX meds for appetite suppression as most have ephedrine and I can't have that.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 673 Member
    edited May 19
    Options
    @HappyDonkey75
    - it is a childhood genetic syndrome, and I am not suggesting applies to you as an adult, just that they have identified it has a physical appetite component. Tragic for the children.
    - from a search, this article popped up.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9976092/#:~:text=Excessive orexin stimulation in the,abnormalities in the orexin system.

I had no idea ephedrine is in many appetite suppressing meds, a stimulant?

I have no other strategy ideas atm, except can understand how resisting a voracious appetite would be exhausting... so good on you for fighting it. You, your health are so worth it. Hang in!
  • HappyDonkey75
    Options
    @cmriverside - thank you for the link and the info .

This... "I will eat the whole thing before I go to bed, regardless of calories or fullness. I've tried for nearly two decades to find a workaround, but the only answer for me is not starting to eat it unless I agree that I'm about to eat 1800 calories of _ _ _ _ _ _." resonates with me.

I justify my way out of what I know is a bad choice and eat the bad things anyways. Sadly I don't always feel icky after eating what would be too many treats. it just depends on what the treat is. I wish eating too much sugar made me sick! That would make things better!

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,827 Member
    edited May 19
    Options
    Have you discussed this with your GP?
    It seems like you have honestly tried many things for a long time and you are still struggling.

A quick google suggests there are many different types of appetite suppressants.

I’m of the opinion that “addiction” is a specific scientific term that doesn’t wholly map onto food cravings, but it’s close enough to use in a colloquial sense to describe the way that some people experience food cravings.
    Sometimes a prescription can really help.

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice. Just something to consider.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    You're welcome, HappyDonkey.

I am not sure why the go-to response from the above two posters was, "take a medication."

Over the years I've been given lots of prescriptions for lots of different things. I'm at the point now where unless it's something that is absolutely necessary I'm not going to take a pill for a thing that has other solutions. In this case maybe they do have underlying issues or it could be as simple as fatigue, lack of sleep, dehydration, stress, or any number of things.

In the case of food obsessions/compulsions my understanding is that the meds that would likely be first line choices are all going to be off label prescriptions. Treatment would start with mental health issues such as anxiety, depression, OCD, or ADHD. Those are valid diagnoses to be sure and can be the cause of general binge overeating if that is a problem. HappyDonkey hasn't made that claim here. I don't know if that would be the same as "cravings" treatment. I'm not familiar with that term in regards to treatment for over consumption of sweets. What kind of drugs would be prescribed for "cravings?" I have some knowledge of drugs that are used in alcohol and drug treatment but I've never heard of them being prescribed for food cravings - though I think that would be an interesting approach.

In my opinion after going through many prescriptions in the past and having stopped them all, unless one is morbidly obese and/or has weight related medical problems and can qualify for the newer GLP-1 drugs, I don't think that is a necessary path to take. All medications have side effects, some of them are serious. Most of them don't work without some therapy on the side or stop working over time. HappyDonkey hasn't really given us much info here as to the seriousness of their problem with it.

Just not eating the sugary stuff will work. Is it easy? No, but it's a simple drug free solution.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited May 20
    Options
    Peoples brains fall out when reducing carbs are mentioned so let me be the first to say a ketogenic diet with virtually no sugar works for me. I had a really hard time limiting sugar, even the taste of diet pepsi had me looking for some, so I know what you mean. Basically I had to remove sugar, it took me over a year to figure that out but I haven't looked back and the bonus is I don't have to count calories either like I did before, but this doesn't happen to everyone, but it does for the majority of people and it's not adding to the list of medication people are on chasing the symptoms from most non communicable diseases.
  • kaferine69
    kaferine69 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Can you try a couple different flavors of gum? I also struggle with sweets. People tell me I'm crazy when I say I have a sugar addiction, but I really believe it's an addiction just like any drug addiction.

I personally don't think having one or two mini chocolates are that bad for you. Often if I have, like, one mini Milky Way piece, it keeps me from indulging in an entire cookie or entire candy bar. I've also kept a bag of chocolate chip morsels (the ones you use for baking) in the freezer and if I am really feeling the sugar craving, I will grab a couple of those, or maybe like a tablespoon's worth.

Maybe you can also designate a single day a week where you do indulge in a slice of cake, or a cookie or two. It's better than binging several times a week.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    kaferine69 wrote: »
    Can you try a couple different flavors of gum? I also struggle with sweets. People tell me I'm crazy when I say I have a sugar addiction, but I really believe it's an addiction just like any drug addiction.

I personally don't think having one or two mini chocolates are that bad for you. Often if I have, like, one mini Milky Way piece, it keeps me from indulging in an entire cookie or entire candy bar. I've also kept a bag of chocolate chip morsels (the ones you use for baking) in the freezer and if I am really feeling the sugar craving, I will grab a couple of those, or maybe like a tablespoon's worth.

Maybe you can also designate a single day a week where you do indulge in a slice of cake, or a cookie or two. It's better than binging several times a week.

LOLOL

As if I could have a bag of mini Milky Way or chocolate chip morsels and NOT eat the whole package before bed.

Your definition of "addiction" and mine are very very different!!

However this:
    Maybe you can also designate a single day a week where you do indulge in a slice of cake, or a cookie or two.
    has been a useful tactic for me. I can't have bags of stuff in my house, but having one single-serve treat per week has been super helpful. I'm not denying myself the cookies, just having a Snack Pack of them. Once. I have to buy the little plastic cups of mini cookies. That's even 700 calories, so, not ideal. Single donuts or cupcakes seem the best for me, calorie-wise. 300-400 calories.

No way I'm able to have sweets in the house and leave them alone.