Welcome to the new Community design. We know there are some big changes to get used to as well some challenges and bugs. Please check out our post about New Updates To The Community as well as Outstanding Bugs. We will continue to collect feedback and bug issues and will work to make improvements.
Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

no sugar or flour, food addiction?

brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,123 Member
edited October 29 in Debate Club
Do you think there is food addiction? Some people say dont eat sugar or flour. That seems like a hard way to live, not ever having a cookie? They say they dont struggle. What do you think? I know I keep gaining and losing the same 5 pounds, it is still a struggle for me. I would like to not struggle but giving up sugar and four seems so hard.

Replies

• mjc614900
    mjc614900 Posts: 18 Member
    I lost 25 pounds through Vida counseling. I have been at 130 for five months. I monitor my sugar intake. If I have frozen strawberries I put sugar on them. If I have oatmeal I put in sugar. A cookie? I evaluate what I want to eat, and make it fit into my daily eating goals. What is holding me back now is lack of running on a treadmill for three miles a day. We will never be able to cut sugar and flour our of our diet - so I fit them in in moderation. No more than two slices of whole wheat bread a day, but usually only one.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 256 Member
    I'm sensitive to carbs.
    I cant just have 1 cookie - and pasta and bread etc .. doesn't satiate me and I can easily consume a lot of calories without feeling full.
    Moderation is something I'm still learning.
    It's difficult- that's why I got fat in the first place.
    But I don't practice keto or low carb or abstinence of certain foods etc ..
    I try to fit them into my allowance- or if I overeat them I log it accept it and move on.
    I don't have over processed food in the house - so if I want to eat cookies or pizza etc It's a bit harder to access them and I can satisfy the cravings with a healthier lower calorie option.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,474 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't know whether some people have food addiction. I suspect there's not physical addiction in the same sense as there would be to (for example) addictive narcotics, but there are certainly psychological dependencies, and sometimes cravings. People have associations with food, learned behaviors related to comfort and reward - it can be pretty complicated and fraught.

What I'm pretty sure of is that I don't personally have anything I need to think of as a food addiction. Food is tasty, I like eating it, and I need some well-tailored personal strategies that allow me to enjoy food, but avoid overdoing, on average, over time.

Do some people give up sugar or flour, feel that they personally need to do that in order to succeed, say that they don't struggle to do it? Sure.

Frankly, I don't find sugar or flour at all hard to moderate . . . in that I can't imagine wanting to sit and eat quantities of either one plain, by the spoonful. A really good cookie can be hard to resist sometimes, sure. That suggests that for me the sugar nor the flour specifically are the problem, but something more like (once again) tasty foods being easy to over-eat, and even more so if they aren't very filling, as cookies usually aren't.

I sort of think that gaining and losing the same 5 pounds repeatedly (gradually) is a reasonable definition of maintenance, for me. If I start creeping up in my maintenance range, I need to creep back down again. If I drop down a little low, then I need to gain back without an eating extravaganza that overdoes the needed creeping up in weight. Sometimes doing what I need to is easier or harder for a variety of reasons, of course. Struggle is kind of in the eye of the beholder, maybe?

I think this is my own personal weird thing, but I really, really don't like thinking of it in dramatic terms, myself. It doesn't help me. Mostly, it works better for me to think of it as a fun science-fair experiment, that I should keep working on, using some science and some hard-won self knowledge, until I get the outcome I want. YMMV.

Same. I have no expectation of staying the same weight or even a super narrow range of a pound or two. Gaining and losing about 5 pounds over and over and over, very slowly, forever is about what I expect to happen on a seasonal (or just life circumstance) basis. NBD. ...and actually my personal accepted range is 7 lbs. As long as I avoid needing new clothes, I'm good.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,174 Member
    There's no such thing as food addiction as far as i am concerned. I don't know anyone who can't stop eating broccoli or beans or any vegetable. We just like sweet things. Our ancestors liked sweet things. Sugar gives us and our brains energy. So we have evolved to eat sugary things .It used to be fruits, now it's cookies and pastries. That being said, i don't have a problem moderating myself. I may eat a whole pack of cookies, or i may eat just 1 cookie. Every day is different. It depends on how i've slept, what else i've eaten, where i am in my monthly cycle hormonally,etc.
    I would not enjoy life if i had to completely cut off an entire group of products out of my life.

Eating a whole pack of cookies and that is moderating yourself?

Carry on.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,474 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as food addiction as far as i am concerned. I don't know anyone who can't stop eating broccoli or beans or any vegetable. We just like sweet things. Our ancestors liked sweet things. Sugar gives us and our brains energy. So we have evolved to eat sugary things .It used to be fruits, now it's cookies and pastries. That being said, i don't have a problem moderating myself. I may eat a whole pack of cookies, or i may eat just 1 cookie. Every day is different. It depends on how i've slept, what else i've eaten, where i am in my monthly cycle hormonally,etc.
    I would not enjoy life if i had to completely cut off an entire group of products out of my life.

Eating a whole pack of cookies and that is moderating yourself?

Carry on.

If you have the calories or make a conscious decision to eat a whole pack of cookies rather than being UNABLE to stop eating cookies? Might not be moderating that time but it's sure choosing NOT to moderate, vs not beign ABLE to moderate.

Heck, I ate a whole pint of ben and jerry's this weekend. Was it moderation? No. Does that mean I can't moderate? No. It means I was very active, had a lot of calories 'to spare' and made a choice. I'm a grown up. W e're allowed to do that.

I would argue this is still moderation. Moderation is not only about the amount, but the frequency and the calorie budget too. If you have enough calories to fit in a whole pack of cookies, it probably doesn't happen daily and you're probably making an informed choice to eat it within your calories vs losing control and going way over calories. That's still moderation (defined as the avoidance of excess) in my book. Those cookies are not "excess", they're right within the plan.

Honestly I agree with you and almost said as much but I could see the argument to that coming and I am just too tired for it today, LOL.