Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

no sugar or flour, food addiction?

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I *have* eaten salt by itself due to cravings. Straight table salt. Pour in hand, toss in mouth. Repeat erratically through day.

However, I should say that:.
    a-.) my BP .tends. .to be low
    and
    b-) my diet overall tends toward pretty low sodium.

Sugar eaten that way though? No. No way.

Ditto to the salt and low blood pressure, although my salt of choice was grey coarse and I nibbled at it.

I felt it was a bad habit (but not an addiction) and gave it up several Lents back and have not picked it back up.

When it comes to sugar though, I want fat with it.

I mean I am better off/more likely to salt my food than just eat salt, regardless. The thing for me turned up immediately after I fell into cooking low sodium for my husband (who does need it) so I tend to think it was an actual thing. This point I just put the salt ON things (apples, watermelon, salted dark chocolate, or my actual meal) but at the time it was pretty bizarrely separated from my desire for anything else.

That said I absolutely and totally have zero desire to eat Just Sugar. Sweet things, yeah, but like you mostly with fat. Ie: Baked things and candy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    Do you think there is food addiction? Some people say dont eat sugar or flour. That seems like a hard way to live, not ever having a cookie? They say they dont struggle. What do you think? I know I keep gaining and losing the same 5 pounds, it is still a struggle for me. I would like to not struggle but giving up sugar and four seems so hard.

I think avoiding sugar and flour is an OA thing, yes? Also in Bright Line Eating. If it works for people, I'm happy for them.

As others have said, some people are abstainers, so this works better for them. I abstain from some things and moderate others. For example, I can moderate chocolate chips and squares of chocolate, but not chocolate BARS.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-happiness-project/201210/are-you-abstainer-or-moderator
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I think people that are so narrow minded to assume food addiction doesn't exist because they don't have it are the ones that need the hug 🙄

@Walkywalkerson: if you hover over the Hug button it says "Awesome" - so people might have intended that instead of hugs ;)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as food addiction as far as i am concerned. I don't know anyone who can't stop eating broccoli or beans or any vegetable. We just like sweet things. Our ancestors liked sweet things. Sugar gives us and our brains energy. So we have evolved to eat sugary things .It used to be fruits, now it's cookies and pastries. That being said, i don't have a problem moderating myself. I may eat a whole pack of cookies, or i may eat just 1 cookie. Every day is different. It depends on how i've slept, what else i've eaten, where i am in my monthly cycle hormonally,etc.
    I would not enjoy life if i had to completely cut off an entire group of products out of my life.

Eating a whole pack of cookies and that is moderating yourself?

Carry on.

Sometimes disability means nausea. Chronic, or occasional related to medication.
    And gosh darn it, cookies have calories. And usually flour, nut butters, oats, milk, and other nutritious ingredients.

So yes. If I choose to eat an entire box of cookies? As long as I take my vitamins, and it’s within my calorie budget over a week’s time? Yes. Not only no worries, but it’s actually doctor recommended under some circumstances. Yes. Straight up heard that advice when my son was young and very ill for a year. Specifically cookies, although chocolate pudding or tapioca has a spot in my current diet also.

There are no bad foods. Period. As long as someone is getting the nutrients they need, and not going over their calorie budget over the long term? No judgment needed. Thanks.

I am pretty sure one can find several foods to help one cope with a disability or illness much better than a box of cookies.

That's nice. Why don't you go buy those foods and take them to her and prepare them for her and see which ones she can tolerate without throwing up?

That would require her to give him personal information. Isn't that against terms of service? Or are you bullying?🤔
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as food addiction as far as i am concerned. I don't know anyone who can't stop eating broccoli or beans or any vegetable. We just like sweet things. Our ancestors liked sweet things. Sugar gives us and our brains energy. So we have evolved to eat sugary things .It used to be fruits, now it's cookies and pastries. That being said, i don't have a problem moderating myself. I may eat a whole pack of cookies, or i may eat just 1 cookie. Every day is different. It depends on how i've slept, what else i've eaten, where i am in my monthly cycle hormonally,etc.
    I would not enjoy life if i had to completely cut off an entire group of products out of my life.

Carry on.

Sometimes disability means nausea. Chronic, or occasional related to medication.
    And gosh darn it, cookies have calories. And usually flour, nut butters, oats, milk, and other nutritious ingredients.

So yes. If I choose to eat an entire box of cookies? As long as I take my vitamins, and it’s within my calorie budget over a week’s time? Yes. Not only no worries, but it’s actually doctor recommended under some circumstances. Yes. Straight up heard that advice when my son was young and very ill for a year. Specifically cookies, although chocolate pudding or tapioca has a spot in my current diet also.

There are no bad foods. Period. As long as someone is getting the nutrients they need, and not going over their calorie budget over the long term? No judgment needed. Thanks.

I am pretty sure one can find several foods to help one cope with a disability or illness much better than a box of cookies.

That's nice. Why don't you go buy those foods and take them to her and prepare them for her and see which ones she can tolerate without throwing up?

That would require her to give him personal information. Isn't that against terms of service? Or are you bullying?🤔

I don't butthurt easily :wink:
  • Theoldguy1
    psychod787 wrote: »

Carry on.

I'm pointing out that telling someone that they should be dealing with their difficult personal issues in some "better" way and implying that it would be easy to do so is unfair and unkind. That's a pretty weird definition of bullying that you have.

The person in the post I was replying to said she had issues with chronic nausea (which I'm sorry she has to deal with that).

I suggested there are better foods to cope with a disability than eating a box of cookies in one sitting, which I still maintain.

Heck I'm fortunate enough to be healthy and eating a box of cookies at a sitting would give me nausea.
  • Theoldguy1

Carry on.

Many lists of foods that help nausea, here are a few:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/digestive-health/diet/foods-that-help-relieve-nausea/#:~:text=Crackers&text=Foods high in starch — such,," says Palinski-Wade.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-to-eat-when-nauseous

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326683

Spoiler don't see any that list cookies. Hopefully the poster can get to the store on her own or has a delivery service available.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I'm tempted to keep discussing the "foods for nausea" issue, but it seems seriously off topic to OP's post. If it gets split off to Debate, that would seem legit, but I'm haven't flagged it to request that.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,121 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm tempted to keep discussing the "foods for nausea" issue, but it seems seriously off topic to OP's post. If it gets split off to Debate, that would seem legit, but I'm haven't flagged it to request that.

I am happy to start the discussion over in https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/141248-disability-fitness-and-weight-management-we-are-here-we-can-do-this where it will always be on topic.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    rosiekin wrote: »
    On 1.1.14, I started my final diet. I knew I needed to do something different and I made the personal decision to abstain from what I believed were my trigger foods. For me that was chocolate, sweets, biscuits, cakes and ice cream. On that day, I never, ever thought I’d keep it up for ever but as of today, I have continued to abstain. I am over 6 stones lighter, and have successfully maintained this lower weight for over 6 years.

Congrats on finding a successful lifestyle that works for you -- that's wonderful.

I've read people fall into two general groups, abstainers and moderators. I also do much better if I abstain from sugary and fatty trigger foods. If I don't eat them, I don't think about them and don't miss them. Once I try to moderate those foods, they creep back and before I know it, I'm eating a pint of ice cream a day.

me too, I do better not to have sugary and fatty trigger foods. Once I moderate I am off and running with the sugar foods. They are sneaky, creep back in and I want them every day. I have to really really want something sweet and rarely have it. Thanks so much for these replies.