Front pulldown 3x12 (80lbs)
    Mid row 3x12 (125lbs)
    High row 3x12 (70lbs)
    Lat pulldown 3x12 (85lbs)
    Bicep curl 3x12 (20lbs) single arm

Abdominal 3x12 (145lbs)

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,863 Member
    I would suggest moving the shoulder press to after the chest press (and before triceps press). At these weights it probably doesn't matter much, but as you get stronger and the weights increase, you will want the chest work done before the shoulder work.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,749 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    I would suggest moving the shoulder press to after the chest press (and before triceps press). At these weights it probably doesn't matter much, but as you get stronger and the weights increase, you will want the chest work done before the shoulder work.

Those weren't necessarily in order, I copy/pasted from the note I keep to keep track of my weights. Usually I do chest/tri and back/bi on seperate days, but tomorrow is a 12+ hr drive, Saturday is moving my daughter into her rental, Sunday and Monday are hanging out where she lives and Tuesday is a 12hr drive back so I did both today.

So what I am hearing is I should do my incline and decline presses, my chest press, and probably pec fly, then do shoulder press, then triceps press?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,863 Member
    The most generic lifting order to maximize progress and minimize injury risk is:

1. Warmup
    2. Compound (multiple joints/muscles) moves
    3. Isolation moves

Within the compound moves, do the most difficult one first, whether it's difficult because it's the heaviest or the most technically demanding. Doing it first while you are fresh lets you focus on keeping every rep under control, reducing the chance of injury due to physical fatigue dropping or mental fatigue losing focus.

For push day like you have, you are aiming to hit chest, shoulders, and triceps. But almost all chest moves also involve shoulders to some degree, which not only makes them more complex, but if you try to do them while the shoulders are tired from previous work you increase the chance of something bad happening.

Yes, there is a counter argument that if I do chest first, by the time I do my shoulders next they are already tired, so doesn't that also increase the odds of something bad? It does, but this is often offset by the fact we use much smaller weights on shoulders than with chest.

Back to your question, you should begin your day with the different chest presses first, as they are the most demanding lifts you will do. What order to do the three (flat, incline, decline) is entirely personal for you. Whether you do the pec fly or the shoulder press next is also personal, as these two exercises do not overlap, but do keep the triceps press last, as it is an isolation movement.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Thanks! That is super informative.
  • AllaboutDaCake
    AllaboutDaCake Posts: 789 Member
    Today was a busy day but I managed to fit in a 3 mile run and yoga.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 422 Member
    Walked my dog today.

I'm seeing lots of folks on MFP upset about the newsfeeds going away. Truth is, I've started using this particular thread as my newsfeed. Hope it goes on forever! You are all awesome.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,718 Member
    Rowed this morning, 3 seat of the quad, the usual just under 7k.

Then went back to the rowing club in the afternoon to help get the rowing barge (in sections) out of its Winter storage spot, into the water, and assembled. When that was done, I helped with other boathouse physical chores. Some are hard to describe because boatclub-y, but also spent a big chunk of time hand-hauling armloads of brush from where one member was cutting dead branches out of a waterside tree, taking them to the woods for disposal off our lawn area. About 4.5 hours of work there altogether, some vigorous, some not.
  • AnnPT77

Walked my dog today.

I'm seeing lots of folks on MFP upset about the newsfeeds going away. Truth is, I've started using this particular thread as my newsfeed. Hope it goes on forever! You are all awesome.

Yeah, I'm not intending to diss people who feel otherwise when I say this, but I get more of the encouragement and camaraderie I personally need out of this thread, some of the food threads, and a few others than I've ever felt from my friend feed timeline. Clearly not a universal sentiment, though. 🤷
  • DiscusTank5
    Walked my dog today.
    You are all awesome.

Also--evening visit to the gym--36 minutes on the elliptical and a little work with the free weights and calisthenics.
  • AnnPT77
    Rowed the double this morning with our fellow rower who's going home to Istanbul on Monday :cry: . Perfect weather, thankfully.

After the row, our club was having a free "Taste of Rowing" event because it's National Learn to Row Day. We set up a couple of rowing machines, and our main coach first demoed then each of the attendees had a chance to try that and get corrections on the basic mechanics. Next, they got in the rowing barge (big, safe, rectangular craft with oars on each side). We put experienced people in port and starboard seats at the bow and stern, and all the new folks in between. The barge has a platform down the middle where the coach can walk and give corrections. They rowed for a while in that. Then we brought a couple of recreational singles to the dock to let them try some basic oar work and get the feel of a boat, while an instructor/member held onto the stern of the single so they didn't actually leave the dock. Everyone seemed to have fun.

I did miscellaneous things in support of the event, mostly walking/carrying kind of stuff, not very vigorous, but active for another 2.5 hours or so after my own AM row.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Knocked out a 30 minute treadmill walk this morning before spending the day helping my 20y daughter move into her rental place for the summer (and 2 upcoming school years). Lots of carrying, assembling, bending, twisting, lifting, standing, etc. Felt good after onky getting 3 k steps yesterday (850 miles worth of driving/riding in the car)
  • DiscusTank5
    Yesterday's "workout" was hard to track: helping set up a youth group car wash, helping hubs carrying multiple loads of stuff to the second story of an on-campus building where he's prepping for a summer academy, then swimming /treading water / jogging in the pool with hubs and son for about 45 min.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,926 Member
    Two days canoe camping with a loaded boat. First day was 24 miles and so many smiles. Day two was a leisurely twelve miles. So many bald eagles it was just sick.

vwezpec7ap36.jpg
    ftzbw34tezsg.jpg
    1qdoqn4qfuop.jpg
    p8byzbfaizlq.jpg
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,945 Member
    Yesterday’s workout:

Took the majority of the extended/intentional family to the Mariners game.
    Spent most of the day riding in our van, or watching the action.
    So, exercise, such as it was, was walking around the stadium getting stuff.

I had a notion to turn on “indoor walk” on my Apple Watch when I saw how long the line was for picking up our special event souvenir jerseys.

Scene: Third level, T-Mobile Park, Seattle.
    I’m using my rollator. I step off the elevator and see the table where they’re handing out the colorful Mariners jersey, with a big rainbow number 24 on the back.
    And then I see the line…. Yowza.

I turned on “indoor walk” just to see how it would go.

Yep.

One hour and twenty four minutes…. to go barely over a tenth of a mile.
    I missed first pitch 🤣
    As it turned out, it was a lot more standing and walking than I am used to. I am so glad I thought to turn on that exercise tracking. I did not really have another opportunity to record an exercise the rest of the day.
    I didn’t record it, but I used much of the standing time to set the brakes on my rollator and do some stretching.
    Mostly because after a while my hip was aching, and I really needed to get the muscles there moving.
    zel6wsg39ktv.png

So very glad that my husband was safely with the rest of the family watching the game from our seats.
    Pro tip: an entire row (9 seats) of ADA seating makes for a great experience when your group includes an active preschooler attending their first game, as well as adults with ADHD, autism, and other neurospices.

There’s room to fidget and jump around, and when someone gets up to use the bathroom or grab a snack, it’s not an awkward shuffle of tripping over stranger’s legs and apologizing for the annoyance.

My personal favorite was the railing behind us, which kept strangers far enough away that no one accidentally bumped into me, or shouted in my ear during the multiple occasions when The Mariners scored, stole a base, etc.

10/10 awesome family outing!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited June 3
    I haven't logged in ages. I went scuba diving in Galapagos. It was marvellous.

We saw many scalloped hammerheads; a tiger shark; mola mola; turtles; sea lions; Galapagos sharks; silky sharks; mantas; sting rays; underwater iguanas; reef shark; dolphin; eagle rays and probably stuff I've forgotten.

The only unpleasant bit was being downgraded from business class to economy on the way home for a 14 hour flight. I haven't been paid any compensation yet. Don't fly with British Airways.

I decided to test the well known theory that the best way of recovering from jet lag is caving. I got home on Thursday. So after working on Friday, I drove to Wales and did some gentle caving on Saturday.

On Sunday, we strolled up a hill to the club dig, which hasn't had any work since lockdown. I may well become a digger soon.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 1,026 Member
    Me emerging from a cave;
    0ci0a19p6kw1.jpg

A sting ray:
    clolofbm1om2.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    @drwmc . . . you have a vague but interesting resemblance to Spiderman in that "emerging from a cave" photo! It sounds like you've been having some good fun lately, as has @mtaratoot.

I'm envious of both. :)
  • AllaboutDaCake
    AllaboutDaCake Posts: 789 Member
    Today is a rest day but i'm doing a yoga class tonight.