What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• bethannrice01
    bethannrice01 Posts: 1 Member
    I’ve been using the habit nest cards as it keeps things mixed up and I rotate body parts. This was today’s workout, following a 5 minute treadmill warm up and ending with some yoga. 2qbiidrons2z.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,718 Member
    Rowed bow in the double this morning with one of my longest rowing buddies rowing stroke, which was fun. Usual distance/time, a bit under 7k and a bit under an hour. Gloriously flat water, a little warmer than my ideal, but I'll take it. ;)

Tonight, helped with our first learn-to-row class of the season, mostly walking, lifting, carrying, chatting kind of stuff. :)
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 422 Member
    drmwc wrote: »
    Me emerging from a cave;
    A sting ray:

Thanks for the sting ray pic! I was about to beg for some underwater photos. I love the ocean but only get to see it once every year or two. Touring the Galapagos sounds awesome; flying economy when you paid for more, not so much.
  • DiscusTank5
    Yesterday’s workout:
    Took the majority of the extended/intentional family to the Mariners game.
    Spent most of the day riding in our van, or watching the action.
    So, exercise, such as it was, was walking around the stadium getting stuff.
    Pro tip: an entire row (9 seats) of ADA seating makes for a great experience when your group includes an active preschooler attending their first game, as well as adults with ADHD, autism, and other neurospices.
    10/10 awesome family outing!

It wasn't a pro baseball game, but my family also had a pretty great outing yesterday with a number of similarities to yours, @MargaretYakoda, including some--but not a lot--of walking. Yesterday hubs and I drove 2+ hours with our autistic son and our two daughters, plus their two friends, to an out-of-state water park. The skies threatened rain for several hours, but we managed to get in 3 and 1/2 hours of fun before it really rained in earnest. The best part: we got a rain check so we can return to the water park for free at another time.
  • AnnPT77
    Nothing big. I was helping at learn-to-row class tonight again, and rowed in the barge with the students for a couple of kilometers, carried some boats and oars, poled the barge to "park" it on the shoreline after class, and miscellaneous other small stuff, for a couple of hours.

This photo is not from tonight, but it's a view of the barge (taken last year) to give those unfamiliar with it an idea of what an odd watercraft this thing is. Tonight I was rowing, but in the photo I'm the one at the far end center in fluorescent green shirt. (I was rudder woman that night.)
    dyjc5qa3ofhl.jpg
    Yes, that is an elderly dog in a fuzzy blue bed in foreground. :D Passenger craft. ;)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,749 Member
    Leg press 3x12 (135lbs)
    Calf raise 3x12 (115lbs)
    Leg curl 3x12 (100lbs)
    Leg extension 3x12 (65lbs)
    Leg adduction 3x12 (140lbs)
    Leg abduction 3x12 (140lbs)
    Abdominal 3x12 (145lbs)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,863 Member
    Weights: Upper Body - Monday

Bench Press 10x3x76% 1RM (Final set AMAP, got 12)
    Cable Row 5x5
    Machine Decline Press 3x10
    Machine High Row 3x10
    Seated Arnold Press 3x10
    DB Curl 3x10 (Twist Curl, Hammer Curl, Concentration Curl) <<superset>> DB Lying Skull Crusher 3x10
    Cable Woodchoppers (Low, Mid, High) 3x10

Weights: Lower Body - Tuesday

Rack Pull 5x10, 8, 6, 4, 2
    DB Lunges 3x10
    Leg Press 4x10 <superset> Leg Press Calf Extend 4x15 (Last Set Drop Set)
    Roman Chair Knee-Ups 4x20

My US Army son is home for the week to celebrate his and my birthdays. He can run circles around me (man, I would love to see him now vs me in my prime!), and his strength in the gym has made huge progress. But I still showed him he has a lot of work ahead of him before he can outlift the old man!
  • DiscusTank5
    Today's workout: 8 min walking the dog; 12 min stair climber; 2 min Helix; 10 min free weights (arms; squats).
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Incline press 3x12 (40lbs)
    Decline press 3x12 (40lbs)
    Chest press 3x12 (40lbs)
    Shoulder press 3x12 (30lbs)
    Pec fly 3x10 (30lbs)
    Triceps press 3x12 (80lbs)
    Abdominal 3x12 (145lbs)

So after a little digging around, I have figured out pec fly and chest press are total weight and not per arm. So correct weights on those are 30 and 40 respectively, lol. Now the 40 chest press was easier than either decline or incline, I'll try 45 next time.

Any idea why triceps press I can do alot more?
  • DiscusTank5
    Today's workout: 15 min walk with my dog; 15 min. bike ride (hot).
  • nossmf
    Upper Body

Incline Bench Press 4x10
    DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Row 4x10 (2 sets pronated, 2 sets supinated)
    Pulldown 3x10 (1 set each hands over, under, neutral-grip)
    Face Pull 3x10
    DB Upright Row 3x10
    DB Shrugs 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x10 (5-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15sec
  • nossmf
    Any idea why triceps press I can do alot more?

Some people are simply stronger in one body part than another, whether through being used more or simple body biomechanics.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 1,026 Member
    I went climbing on Monday. It was a high gravity day.

I went back to the same gym on Wednesday. It was fun, I got everything I fell off on Monday. Fot some reason, it was super friendly.

I went clubbing on Thursday. It was good, I wasnt in stellar form but it wasn't too shabby.
  • AnnPT77
    drmwc wrote: »
    I went climbing on Monday. It was a high gravity day.

:D:D:D

Even though that's not my sport, I empathize. Some days water is mysteriously a lot more viscous than others, too. ;)

P.S. Morning rowing got rained out on Wednesday. I helped with teaching learn-to-row class both Wednesday and tonight (Thursday), but not much workout in the mix, just mild movement - like maybe stress positions holding the stern of recreational shells while instructing our students in basic bladework at the dock.
  • nossmf
    Lower Body

Squats 4x10
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Lying Leg Curl 3x12
    Calves Extend <superset> Cable Crunch 4x10, 15, 20, 25
  • DiscusTank5
    Morning and evening walks with the dog, about 10 minutes each.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Mid row 3x12 (125lbs)
    Row 3x12 (60lbs) single arm
    Front pulldown 3x12 (90lbs)
    High row 3x12 (80lbs)
    Lat pulldown 3x12 (85lbs)
    Bicep curl 3x12 (25lbs) single arm
    Abdominal 3x12 (145lbs)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,926 Member
    Seven mile wildflower hike with about 1500 feet of elevation gain.

A marine layer and smoke from prescribed burns prevented me from seeing the coast. The view to the east was very clear, and I could see ALL the volcanoes - all the way up to the tip of Mt. Rainier, and that's 200 miles away. Views of Mt. Jefferson and the Three Sisters were very clear against an azure sky.

p78f03gejr9r.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Turns out we're going to have some coaching in our club this summer, from the collegiate club team's coach whose boathouse is next door to ours. He's a good coach, nice guy. Funding is from an "anonymous donor fund" from within our club, to pay him so that the coaching is free to members who participate.

Today was our first session. It focused on technical drills and corrections, which is just what we need. We did various one- and two-part pause drills, "cut the cake", and some stretches of just plain rowing in between drills to integrate the drills' emphasis and individual corrections he gave us. (He drives a "wakeless" (not totally wakeless ;) ) launch alongside the group, uses a bullhorn to call us by name with corrections. We had 3 singles and a double. Two racing (skinny) singles were a couple of the collegiate rowers, the other 2 boats from our community club.

I was rowing a recreational (wider) single, since this was my first time out in a single this season and I wanted to focus more on technique without balance challenges. I figured I'd be the slow boat (oldest participant by 25+ years, wide single), but was relieved that although mostly at the slow end of the bunch, I did keep up with the group.

At the last, we wrapped up with 10 strokes hard, 10 strokes easy, then 20/20, 30/30, 20/20, and 10/10 again (and repeat back to the dock). This was the first time this season I've really tried to push power, and in the wide rec single there was a bit of a strength component to this. ;) It went OK.

Things to work on: A bit more layback on the finish with elbows coming back past my body well, keeping my knees together and sitting taller at the catch, backing the oar in a teensy bit more especially on the left side so I don't miss water at the catch. (The knee thing is a holdover from when I was overweight; I used to have to make room for my belly. :grimace: It's improved, but there's still a vestige.)

Good stuff!
  • DiscusTank5
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Turns out we're going to have some coaching in our club this summer, from the collegiate club team's coach whose boathouse is next door to ours. He's a good coach, nice guy. Funding is from an "anonymous donor fund" from within our club, to pay him so that the coaching is free to members who participate.
    Good stuff!

'Fess up, Ann: are you the anonymous donor? ;)

My workout today was water-based as well: 30 minutes in the local pool with my autistic 16 year old. I swam laps near him and alternated that with treading water. Also the requisite 10 min. walk with my dog. She's really losing her 'get up and go' now that the summer weather is here.