HOW???

Options
Please how can I be watching my calories and exercising daily and walking a ton of steps AND SOME HOW IVE GAINED WEIGHT??? I'm discouraged af. Please explain this to me??

Answers

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,845 Member
    Options
    If it’s been less than a month have patience. A month or longer and you’re taking in too many weekly calories.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Deep breath. Let it out.

Completely normal for someone starting a new diet and exercise routine.

Hold the line. This too shall pass.

I don’t think any of the good comments above have mentioned a weight tracking app? They can be very helpful for showing weight trends. It’s the trend over time that is more important than the common day to day fluctuations.

On iOS many people like Happy Scale
    For Android I think a popular app is Libra Weight Manager? If I’m wrong I hope another forum user will correct me on that.
  • ht7wj576my
    ht7wj576my Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Something I wish I’d known sooner is that it’s not how much you eat it’s what you eat. You could be in a caloric deficit eating healthier than before, but many foods cause the body to hold onto fat. Specifically simple carbs, and even complex carbs like sweet potatoes (when not eaten in moderation).

I was in your shoes a couple of years ago and so so discouraged. I totally understand and want you to remember it’s the long term goal that matters, your path to get there will not be what you expect and that’s okay. There’s lessons learned in the struggle and you’ll become more equipped as you go ❤️

Counting my macros seemed super daunting but focusing on a high protein, med fat, low carb diet has really helped me finally shed water weight and gain lean muscle mass. To make it less stressful I find the foods that fit in my macros and rotate through those foods in different ways, using the same portions for different meals or recipes to keep things interesting without having to reinvent the wheel every day.

Another thing is WHAT you eat and WHEN you eat it is crucial. Unfortunately any carbs we do take in will be turned to fat storage (specifically beige fat which is horrible for long term overall health), if it’s not used for energy while digesting. So eating any carbs or fats early on in the day and avoiding them in the afternoon helps your body to use them for your energy throughout the day, then at night they will have already been digested and your body can turn to using fat storage for its metabolic operations.

And if none of these suggestions work, it’s possible you have a hormonal imbalance. If you really have stubborn belly fat you could even have a metabolic disorder which is becoming more and more common due to the toxic ingredients in our foods. A simple blood test at the doctors office can tell you this, and very simple lifestyle changes can fix this. Highly recommend avoiding drugs to fix these problems because they are “lifetime drugs” and can only bandaid it but not truly fix the problem (hence, why you have to take them for the rest of your life). My husband went through this and learned simple changes to diet and supplements could heal his body a lot quicker and permanently and was able to quit the drugs that were actually harming his body. Hopefully it wouldn’t come to this, but thought it wouldn’t hurt to share my experience.

Wishing you the best of luck, you’ve got this and all of your efforts will be worth it when you’re living you’re healthiest and most confident life! ❤️❤️
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    Options
    @ht7wj576my
    I'll just add my DISAGREE to the list of those who disagree with your points.

1.) Don't get info from YouTube or supermarket magazines or sensationalist TV shows
    2.) Get vaccinated (just in case, you sound like someone who maybe hasn't yet.)

I haven't had coffee yet.

Thanks for not having coffee when you posted this. I had (well, tea actually) and decided to bite my tongue 😬😅
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Listen.. you're on your way to getting healthy fit and firm. There is no way you can exercise and eat better and get fatter. You will slim down and get strong. Your body is adjusting from the shock of you throwing everything but the kitchen sink at your fitness plan. Don't listen to the devil on your shoulder. Give it another week or so.. then look at your food.. tweak what you're eating.. when you have great losses.. pay attention to what you ate that worked for you.... .. you are on your way.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    chicbuc wrote: »
    @ht7wj576my
    I'll just add my DISAGREE to the list of those who disagree with your points.

1.) Don't get info from YouTube or supermarket magazines or sensationalist TV shows
    2.) Get vaccinated (just in case, you sound like someone who maybe hasn't yet.)

I haven't had coffee yet.

How did you deduce the unvaccinated part? :confounded: I'm so confused.

LOL.

Just a personality type who believes everything they read on a website they got to by Googling what they already believe. It's a thing.

...and again, that was a correlation created by a sleepy brain at 4:46AM, pre-coffee.

To be fair, the Venn diagram is often a big circle
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,845 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    ht7wj576my wrote: »
    it’s not how much you eat it’s what you eat. You could be in a caloric deficit eating healthier than before, but many foods cause the body to hold onto fat.

This is patently false. That would be like saying there's a certain gas station that makes your car burn less fuel. A calorie is a measure of energy. Your body stores excess energy as fat and uses stored fat for energy when dietary energy is less than what's needed.

ht7wj576my wrote: »
    Unfortunately any carbs we do take in will be turned to fat storage (specifically beige fat which is horrible for long term overall health), if it’s not used for energy while digesting. So eating any carbs or fats early on in the day and avoiding them in the afternoon helps your body to use them for your energy throughout the day, then at night they will have already been digested and your body can turn to using fat storage for its metabolic operations.

Um... No. Your body is constantly storing fat and using stored fat throughout the day and night.
    these people need to stop watching all of these “experts” on you tube. There are a few good ones but overall there is just so much misinformation being spread.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    Options
    To get back to the topic of water weight: I wrote above that I gained 2kg from starting strength training again. Water. The day before yesterday I went to pee an awful lot, and yesterday my weight was pretty much down again. Yesterday I did strength training again, and today I'm up 1kg again. It's normal.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    OP, you got this. Just keep with in. Results will come, it just take time. Bodies be stubborn when change is around, but it will come.