WOMEN AGES 50+FOR MAY 2024

Options

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Glad you are done Heather! I hope your recovery is uneventful!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    Heather - that was quick! Thank you for checking in with us. Glad you have an appetite. When are they going to let you use the bathroom? Best wishes for a speedy recovery. <3

Annie - so happy your dad likes the senior center. Crossing fingers it will keep him entertained for a while and you can get some worry-free time a few hours per week. Does your sis plan to come back every month or two or just as needed? I could feel the relief in your post. <3

Tracey - it's a shame your healthcare doesn't pay for a podiatrist. It's not like elective surgery for pity's sake. Being able to walk without pain is so important to our overall health and well-being and will save healthcare costs in the future. Makes you wonder what the bureaucrats are thinking. :# My Medicare policy here will pay for a podiatrist and of course surgery if we need it, but won't pay for orthotics. Same with hearing aids, though I guess there are some plans that do.

Terri - I haven't taken the cognitive evaluation yet. I got so much good information about nutrition from the videos. Witnessing my mom's and my DH's cognitive decline is keeping me looking for ways to keep my own brain sharp. Holford says nutrition and environment are responsible for 99% of Alzheimer's and dementia, genetics only plays a tiny part. I think this is true for Type 2 diabetes too. He's a proponent of a low Glycemic Load diet which many docs recommend for diabetes as well.

And something I got from the YouTube interview - cataract surgery helps our aging brains because clear vision keeps our brains stimulated (and happy!) much like hearing aids help keep that part of our brain active. Many interesting tidbits there. :p

Ginny - Kylia - how are things in Ohio? You gals have been on my mind.

It's going to be another nice day. Got most of the mowing done yesterday afternoon, need to finish today and weed eat. Love being able to work outside when it's warm.

Make it a wonderful day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,164 Member
    Options
    Numer1ca wrote: »
    Lisa - your place is lovely! Our main concern is medical care when we are older. Does your laundry ever get dusty outside? Our did, so I didn’t hang it. I think it is from all of the evergreen trees. But maybe it’s normal and I just don’t know it.

Machka9 - Is there a concern about caffeine? I drink a ton of coffee daily. It helps me focus.

Grandmaille - that is one cute baby!

I took advil last night to sleep, and that worked great. And then I stretched a bunch at work today. So, I only get stiff if I sit for too long, and my walk tonight was fine. I had three deadlines for work today, so I was up working until midnight last night. I got them done and had a really good 1x1 today, phew. I am going to go to bed early tonight. 6 hours sleep isn’t enough.

For a minute, I thought things were slowing down and I was looking forward to my new project, but I just realized it’s month end (I’m an accountant) and I have all of that to do. With some changes on my monthly reporting portion. I don’t do a lot on that aspect of the financial package, but it’s a change, so it will take longer. Time I do not have, nor want to spend on it. Oh well. I may just work on the project a bit for fun on my own time. Or really, I should start studying for the CPA exam. It’s going to be a pain, but is necessary.

In Australia, a lot of people hang their laundry outside to dry. I've never noticed it get dusty, but location would make a difference.

"They" recommend a max of about 400 mg of caffeine.
    https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/spilling-beans-how-much-caffeine-too-much

This site talks about that 400 mg limit, but also talks about both benefits of and negative effects of caffeine.
    https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/caffeine

I know how those extra work things go. A couple months ago, right in the middle of my usual work, I was given an urgent project which I had about 3 weeks to do with no idea what was involved. Quick, steep learning curve!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    @SophieRosieMom if you're interested in learning more about dementia, I think you should be able to take the two free courses below. I think they are internationally accessible.

https://www.utas.edu.au/wicking/understanding-dementia
    https://www.utas.edu.au/wicking/preventing-dementia

I took Understanding TBI and thought it was quite good.
    https://www.utas.edu.au/wicking/understanding-tbi

Researchers are in the midst of one of the largest studies of dementia right here in Tasmania. The project is called The Island Study Linking Ageing and Neurodegenerative Disease (ISLAND). You can read about it here:
    https://www.utas.edu.au/wicking/research/distinct-projects/island-project

I am one of the research cohort committed to doing some online surveys each year for 10 years.

525mu3czgdk5.png
    https://www.cdc.gov/aging/publications/features/dementia-risk-reduction-june-2022/index.html

"Most modifiable risk factors for ADRD are related to cardiovascular disease and other chronic health conditions. They include hypertension, not getting enough physical exercise, obesity, diabetes, depression, smoking, hearing loss, and binge drinking."

And fortunately, There is encouraging scientific news despite these risk factors: nearly 40% of all ADRD may be prevented or delayed.

First up ... get active!!

Twelve Risk Factors Linked to 40% of World's Dementia Cases
    https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/935013?form=fpf

"Modifying 12 risk factors over the life course could delay or prevent 40% of dementia cases, a new report suggests."

"The three new risk factors that have been added in the latest update are excessive alcohol intake, traumatic brain injury (TBI), and air pollution.

The original nine risk factors were not completing secondary education; hypertension; obesity; hearing loss; smoking; depression; physical inactivity; social isolation; and diabetes.

Together, these 12 risk factors are estimated to account for 40% of the world's dementia cases."

(You can research what else the Lancet Commission on Dementia Prevention, Intervention, and Care might have discovered. :) )

Machka in Oz

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    Teri--Glad to see you post. Missed you.
    Heather--Thinking of you and said a prayer. Sounds like you are getting settled in.
    Pip--Love all your plants. Looks like a very nice place to sit and relax. Watch the world go by.
    Rebecca--Glad to hear they are doing repairs around your house. The noise would be a bit much, but in the end it will be nice to have it done.
    Another raining day here. I have the weekend off and was wanting to work in the yard, see what I can do around the rain.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,798 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Heather- fantastic so glad you made it through with flying colors and so happy that its done..live ya girl!
    Little chipmunk is still under the fridge..
    Im looking at another cruise but its not until August 2026 but its a transatlantic from Copenhagen.
    Tracey ,I got a couple shots of cortisone in my herls from a podiatrist..but also what helped was taking a frozen water bottle and rolling it under your foot every morning and night for about 20 minutes, plus I slept with a splint on my foot and that helped too.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,534 Member
    Options
    Allie you still have a chipmunk under your fridge?? And you are not screaming around your place like I would be??😂😂. I wouldn't be able to even be in your kitchen. What if it starts chewing on wires? Your cat needs ta do its job!😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Machka9
    Options
    Allie you still have a chipmunk under your fridge?? And you are not screaming around your place like I would be??😂😂. I wouldn't be able to even be in your kitchen. What if it starts chewing on wires? Your cat needs ta do its job!😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

It's just a chipmunk ... they're cute!
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Heather, so glad it went well! Wishing you a very speedy recovery. One of my former colleagues said getting a hip replacement was the best thing he ever did for himself.

Machka, interesting about phantom itching. I have an odd itch on one of my ankles. It comes on from time to time. Nothing is there and it's always in exactly the same spot. Great info. on ALZ. I feel I am at higher risk, although I don't fall into any of those categories.

Annie, it's so great your dad enjoyed his time at the senior center.

Well, I'm off to exercise. Then I have a work dread-line. I do not enjoy this task each month. All have a great day!

Tina in CA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options
    :) I regularly take inventory of the priorities in my life to be sure that I give my time and energy to what is most important. Obviously things have changed over time. For the last 20 years, my pets have been at the top of my list along with my husband so I make sure they get the most attention. I do a lot of things to accommodate my pets that other people would do. It's not unlike the attention, time, and energy that people give to their children.

:)Heather, I have been thinking of you. Thanks for checking in with us. I wish you a good recovery.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,656 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you Heather! so glad the surgery went well.

Kim
  • Whidislander
    edited May 31
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

It's just a chipmunk ... they're cute!

In a video maybe but my flight responses kick in and I just flee!
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Glad everything went well Heather, check in with us when you can, rest up.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Heather, happy to hear that all went well!

Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Jenn - I just realized after reading the next comments that I never answered your question - No, I've never ended up with dust on clothes that I hung outside to dry... if you live among evergreens, it could well be pollen, or if you're in the city, it could just be the city dust I guess. I have ended up with the occasional bug, however, and I know others have had issues with birds, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

Finally, FINALLY got the last panel done, but because it was the last panel, I had more than a few square inches I had to rip out and re-quilt because of folds in the backing material. My own fault, I didn't pin them. Ah well, least said, soonest mended (so to speak... :smiley: )

Not in the mood to go shopping, but it would be better this after noon than tomorrow, I think. Still thinking about it.

Hope it's a good weekend for everyone.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Heather- great news. Glad you are doing so well.

Annie- that is amazing- glad he enjoyed the time at the senior center and that you got a little time to yourself. I am sure the more he goes, the more he will enjoy it and want to keep going.

Been getting extra chores done this morning- skipped walking mil's dog this morning. Won't walk him again until Monday.
    Heading up to mom's this evening- staying up there for the weekend to help get her garden beds planted. Not sure how much will get done. Will have to go out in the evening tomorrow and then early Sunday morning and in the late afternoon possible(not sure what time I will be going home).
    Supposed to be 86 both days.
    Getting my garden well watered now- will do the pots right before I leave at 5pm,
    Got the kitten playpen totally cleaned out/fresh bedding, etc. ALMOST touched the one that is still outside, was so close but right when I was going to try and grab it, it ran behind so I couldn't get it. Not giving up. Still no word from any of the rescue groups. Pretty sure the momma cat is pregnant again- the males have been stalking her for a week and now leaving her alone.

Going to go buy a few plants from a lady on my way to walk the wetlands- think it will be a short walk. A bit too hot to be walking when it is 80degrees.
    getting Epiphyllum and stapelia. Maybe a few others. Getting hoyas and epiphyllum cuttings from another lady next week(she wants to trade a cutting of my pink one for some of hers of other colors)

Have a wonderful weekend.
    Happy June!!
    Will catch up with you all on Monday.