Returning MFP user

Options
Hello everyone, Lawrence here. I joined MyFitnessPal back in 2012 when I weighed 95 kg (202 lbs). Through exercise, proper diet, and the help of this app, I managed to lose weight, eventually reaching around 68-70 kg (149-155 lbs). And yeah I was on my 20's that time. However, over the years, I reverted to my old habits and experienced the loss of my parents. Food became my comfort, and I rarely engaged in physical activity. Now at 31, I weigh 122 kg (269.8 lbs). Looking at my old photos and recognizing the health risks associated with obesity, I am determined to regain my discipline and take control of my health, starting with my weight. Wish me luck!

Replies

• kevymetal_
    kevymetal_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You've done it once, so you can do it again! Life is tough man, and it's easy to let the stresses of life consume you so your priorities shift from looking after yourself to just surviving. I'm sorry you lost your parents. That's a hard challenge to work through for sure!

I myself have lost a decent amount of weight a couple of times, but the last 4 years have been crazy. Aside from all the COVID madness, my wife and I moved into a tiny place that had tons of renovation work needed, my older brother passed away, my job became a nightmare, and then my wife got pregnant! I spent 4 years trying to cope by eating greasy food and drinking alchohol. Fast forward to today and I gained back all the weight I lost (and then some). I'm 36 now so I know the older I get, the harder it will be if I'm overweight. And on top of that, I want to be the absolute best version of myself for my kid!

I'm back on it, this time using sustainable methods. I'm educating myself, working with a fitness coach and sticking to my goals. Nothing comes easy, and when it comes to weightloss, it doesn't come fast either. Steer clear of the potions and pills, the diets that promise 25 lbs lost in a month. This takes work and time. But you've got this! Commit to yourself. You will start feeling better within days of eating well and getting exercise. And while cardio is important, you won't drop weight by running on a treadmill for 45 minutes every day. Balanced diet, plenty of protein and resistance training are all valuable tools on this journey!
  • BronzeScorpio1111
    BronzeScorpio1111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi Lawrence, I am rooting for you! Good luck 🙂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome (back?), Lawrence.

I think you have a great perspective on the situation. Sometimes life gets tough, and we derail temporarily. Congratulations on committing to refocusing on your health!

I wish I'd been that smart at 31 rather than waiting until 59-60 to reach and (so far) stay at a healthy weight. I could've avoided a lot of health problems and discomfort if I had, I think. I mean, better late than never . . . but better early than late, too. ;)

Wishing you success!
  • LawrenceLangoey
    LawrenceLangoey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. Im almost on my third week now and I started to shed some pounds again. I lost 6.6 pounds so far. Still far from my goal, but I am off to a good start.