Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Replies

• kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,266 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    Week 13 of my bench press triplet protocol, where I started doing 10 triples at 60% of 1RM and every week add 5lb. Any week I fail to complete all 10 triples, the following week will have fewer triples to perform. Repeat until I am down to a single triple, then recalculate 1RM and see if it's changed.

Today was at 255, or 86.5% of 1RM. I stopped after five sets (when the protocol said to try for eight) because my form was retched and my depth nowhere near where it should be. I also question whether this protocol is actually helping me to improve, considering I was doing 5x3 triples at 275 before but now I'm struggling with triples at 20 pounds lighter.

So I'm calling an end to this little experiment after 3 months, calling it an interesting diversion but will return to the 5x5 standard I was using before which had successfully raised my bench 1RM by 10 pounds. Let's see if I can squeak out another 5 pounds to top 300, or another 20 to get that 315. Not ready to call it a pipe dream yet, but obviously my goal of hitting it by my birthday (now 5 weeks past) didn't happen, so let's settle in for a longer haul goal of hitting it before I turn 50 in three years.

Don’t ever call it a pipe dream. You’ll get it.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,782 Member
    @Minion_training_program I have no clue what my rev rate is. I just know that I was taught bowling by an old-school purist, and I cringe every time I see somebody using the two-handed style. I can intellectually acknowledge its potential for high scores through stringing strikes, but in my limited experience watching it also seems to lead towards more difficult spares.

@kinetixtrainer2 thanks for the support. I allowed my bad day benching at a lower weight to mentally dissuade me from looking forward to the higher weight. I think I also need to crack down on my food intake again, in terms of actually eating more...I've been eating at maintenance for a few weeks, and my weight hasn't budged, meaning the muscular gains I was experiencing have likely also come to a screeching halt. But maybe not...at my current weight of 203, a 315 bench would be 1.53x BW, where actual strongmen are benching over 2x BW, so maybe more muscle isn't the issue, I just need to grow stronger, lol.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,216 Member
    Mid donkey kick…not much of a flex but fun to visit other locations💙Plus today’s location had a puppy! I should be able to go to 4 different locations this week and I’ll pick my favorite one to repeat on Friday.

o67dqxjaffl6.jpeg
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,426 Member
    @MelG7777 Nice work Melissa!
    Well, again a bummer and no workouts for a few day's

Last night with bowling, i went down to the ground.
    For some reason y right knee refused, like it locked all of a sudden, and i fell down to the approach pretty hard on my knee and side.
    Pretty bruised, so gonna give it time to heal before going to the gym.
    Still gonna do my home core workouts, just make sure to take it easy on that as well
  • nossmf
    Are you a right- or left-handed bowler?
    Are you a right- or left-handed bowler?

I am a righthander, and you?
    I play once a year a fun tournament, where you have to bowl with your "other hand" funny as hell, and cleans the gutter, lmao!

I can also throw back-up and 2handed
  • nossmf
    I'm actually ambidextrous, though I've only ever practiced bowling righty. My old coach bowled most of the time righty, but he could bowl either hand and usually went lefty just to hit the 10 pin. Would be interesting to see how well I did lefty one day...

Anyway, the reason I ask was you said your right knee gave out, and I was trying to picture how it would work. If you were a lefty and your right plant knee gave out that's one thing, but it's an entirely different mental picture for the right knee of a righty bowler to give out.
    I'm actually ambidextrous, though I've only ever practiced bowling righty. My old coach bowled most of the time righty, but he could bowl either hand and usually went lefty just to hit the 10 pin. Would be interesting to see how well I did lefty one day...

Anyway, the reason I ask was you said your right knee gave out, and I was trying to picture how it would work. If you were a lefty and your right plant knee gave out that's one thing, but it's an entirely different mental picture for the right knee of a righty bowler to give out.

I know in current lane coditions, when playing tournaments, the left side kinda gives a advantage. Would probably apply for house leagues as well, since transition is less, so longer to play the same line

And yeah, on my slide, so with my left foot, my right leg somehow gave out, before i could swing it to the left for my balance, so instead it kinda pulled me to the right and to the ground...i feel it must have looked funny
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,668 Member
    Slowly pushing toward my new Deadlift goal of 350lb.

Today was a new PR of 320lbs! (a small 5lb one, but STILL) I was tired and sore going in

If I was fresh, probably could have done 325. Might have been able to get it today, but figured I'd not be arrogant...
    h9qszk2n42c5.gif
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,222 Member
    @KickassAmazon76, Post rejected, not enough bowling.
  • KickassAmazon76
    steveko89 wrote: »

Haha! Oops!
    steveko89 wrote: »

out5avagy7i3.jpeg
  • nossmf
    Love it!
  • nossmf
    WONDERFUL deadlift video! All the more impressive when I remember just how bloody tall you are, making it a LONG way to pull the weight. Honestly, have you thought about maybe trying sumo deadlifts instead, allowing the torso to stay a little more upright with just slightly less range of motion to traverse?
  • KickassAmazon76
    WONDERFUL deadlift video! All the more impressive when I remember just how bloody tall you are, making it a LONG way to pull the weight. Honestly, have you thought about maybe trying sumo deadlifts instead, allowing the torso to stay a little more upright with just slightly less range of motion to traverse?

Gasp! Recommending sumo? Haha

I've thought about it, and used to have it in my program, but like conventional more.
  • nossmf
    Each to their own. I personally prefer sumo because of my lower back, but am always terrified I'm going to drop the weight on my foot, lol.

Gasp! Recommending sumo? Haha

I've thought about it, and used to have it in my program, but like conventional more.

The way it was ment to be Sandy!
    Tall people FTW!
  • nossmf
    Are you calling me short? I'm 5'9" (1.75m), exactly normal. Just because I'm the shortest male in my family for the past four generations (even both of my sons are taller than me)... Guarantee I can beat any of them in an arm wrestling contest!
    Are you calling me short? I'm 5'9" (1.75m), exactly normal. Just because I'm the shortest male in my family for the past four generations (even both of my sons are taller than me)... Guarantee I can beat any of them in an arm wrestling contest!

Well to be fair, 175cm is slightly below average for a Dutch male (182,9 cm is average)

But, i also see a lot of taller guys than me, most of them younger (what are they feeding these kids?) so i think in 10-15 years the average is probably around 188cm or maybe 190 even.

10-15 years ago, i was almost always the tallest person in the room....now...definatly not
    And i am "only" 195cm

It's a struggle to find good fitting pants though. My lenght size is 38 (dunno the US size).
    Average male have 32 or 34 over here. So i am 2 sizes bigger. And most stores only sell up to lenght 36. So i have to go to specific stores for my clothing.

Being tall has it advantages (reaching the top shelf with ease) but also struggles (deadlifts and squats)