Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,690 Member
    Not much time today before dinner, so a 4.2km run: starting at 8.5kph and increasing speed 3 times in 0.5kph increments.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,782 Member
    Yesterday (Saturday)

Lower Body

Squat 4x10
    Rack Pull 4x10
    Leg Press <<superset> Leg Press Calf Raise 4x10
    Seated Leg Curl 4x10
    Cable Crunch 4x10, 15, 20, 25

I dropped the leg press drop sets and added leg curls to even my quads/hams work.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    Saturday, I did the kind of rowing @annpt77 does ;) . It was a coached row, with a different guest coach: Assistant coach of the women's varsity rowing team at the local NCAA Div 1 university. (Our usual morning coach is the coach of the same university's rowing club, a successful program itself.)

As usual for coached rows, we did mostly drills, but very different drills from the other coach. She was working with us on properly recruiting the right muscle groups at various points in the rowing stroke. We did a lot of drills that were part of the stroke only, like arms-only, arms-and-body-only, legs-only, etc. In between drills, there'd be some steady state rowing at various intensities.

I was in 2 seat of one of two quads that were being coached (along with one single). One thing we did was line up the boats, then have each individual rower row the quad by themselves, "racing" with the same seat in the other quad. This is strength-y, especially on the first few strokes, driving the boat from a standstill against the inertia, friction, weight of the boat, weight of all the other sitting-still rowers.

Lucky me, 3 seat in the other boat was a newer rower (advantage: me) who just graduated high school and who is training with the hope of being a walk on to the University of Michigan rowing team down the road an hour from here (advantage: her). I was in the heavier boat, in terms of both boat weight and size of rowers. :D:D:D Fun stuff!

Result: Pretty close, actually. I think she had me by a quite small interval, but I didn't have a good view across the alignment. I'd been worried, but it wasn't crazy bad despite the 50-year age gap. ;)
  • Lietchi
    edited July 28
    Today's exercise: a looooong run, 15km on the treadmill, 1hr47min.
    A speed of 8.4kph except the very last km, and my heart rate stayed below 140bpm for a surprisingly long time (1hr12min minutes).
    Dinner was super late because of my run, but I wanted to get my July 15km badge before the end of the month.

The most notable aspect of the run was how much Garmin underestimates my calorie burn, 784kcal instead of 1030kcal according to Exrx.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,736 Member
    edited July 29
    Incline press 1x12, 1x8 (50lbs), 1x12 (40lbs)
    Decline press 2x12, 1x9 (60lbs)
    Chest press 1x12, 1x10 (55lbs), 1x12 (50lbs)
    Shoulder press 1x12, 1x10 (60lbs), 1x12 (50bs)
    Pectoral fly 3x12 (50lbs)
    Triceps press 3x12 (95lbs)
    Lateral raise 1x10 (25lbs), 2x12 (20lbs) single arm
    Abdominal 3x12 (185lbs)

I am back home, went hard in the gym this morning. Increased weight on several lifts.

@nossmf this is my ab machine

pl38jiluld8x.jpg

The stack goes to like 345 so clearly doesnt correspond 1:1 to weight in lbs. As I've said previously, I only really care that I'm progressing.
  • nossmf
    Based on the image, you seat facing left...but the bar and hinge placement make me feel like the weight goes right, consistent with a lower back extension machine, which could definitely support those weights. Hmm...
  • nicsflyingcircus
    wmzjewwb9gmn.png

The motion of the machine is definitely a "crunch" and the seat can be unlocked to do them in an oblique position too.
  • AnnPT77
    Oh, yeah, of course: Around 7k rowing, bow of the double this time with my buddy J, working on technical stuff.

I was also trying to watch one of our new (this year learn-to-row) folks out in a single, who - as everyone does - struggles with steering a straight course. I was trying to see whether I could identify what the most important issue is for her. (It's almost always something that makes the port or starboard stroke a slightly longer distance in the water, even just a microsecond. The rower almost always thinks it's that their right or left arm is stronger, which it almost never - maybe never ever? - is.) It'll click eventually.
  • nossmf
    @nicsflyingcircus I see clearly now, thank you. From that picture, I completely agree with your description and assumptions, it just surprises me the weights being claimed to move on the weight stack (I no longer question your assertions, sorry for being a pain about this, I just wanted to understand better, and now I do, thank you.).
  • nossmf
    Upper Body - Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    BB Decline Press 5x5
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 5x5
    DB Hammer Curl 3x10 <<superset>> Cable Pushdown 3x10
    Cable Woodchoppers (Low, Mid, High) 3x10
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,988 Member
    De-load week for me. Yoga, walking, mobility etc...
  • Lietchi
    Yesterday a treadmill run: 5km in 34min10.

Today:
    - 5 minutes warming up on the rowing machine
    - Strength training: flat and incline dumbell bench press, hyperextensions, side raises, triceps cable pull-downs
    - a 3km treadmill run in 19min59
  • nicsflyingcircus
    @nossmf no worries. I could totally see why that number would look crazy high in comparison to some of my others.

• BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 472 Member
    Good workout this morning. Cardio, Push Day and Core.

Stretching

45 minutes on the spin bike: HR 125/152
    35 minutes on the treadmill: HR 110/131
    49 minutes lifting weights: HR 109/139

Barbell Bench Press: 15@95, 15@115, 10@135, drop set: 8@155, 12@95
    Seated Overhead Barbell Press: 15@45, 15@55, 12@60, drop set: 10@65, 10@45
    Cable Crunches: 15@70, 15@70, 15@70, 15@70
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 15@30, 15@35, 12@40, drop set: 10@45, 10@30
    Cable Triceps Press Downs: 15@30, 12@40, 12@50, drop set: 10@60, 10@30
    Landmine Twists: 12@bar, 12@bar, 12@bar, 12@bar
    Single Arm Landmine Overhead Press: 12@bar+20, 12@bar+25, drop set: 10@bar+30, 10@bar+15
    Incline Dumbbell Fly: 10@20, 10@20, 10@20
    Overhead Cable Triceps Extensions: 12@30, 12@30, 12@30
    Dumbbell Crossbody Raises: 10@15, 10@15, 10@15

Stretching

Back from a 10 trip to Portugal, so I started back light, and will do the other 2 days this split light as well. We walked plenty on the trip, but it's nice to be back to dedicated exercise time.

• back2mac
    back2mac Posts: 2 Member
    Two hours of pickleball for me. That’s a lot. Not much energy for anything else today.
  • citylife624
    citylife624 Posts: 29 Member
    Cardio for me today. A 45 minute intermediate step workout with Christina Dorner via YouTube. Did the high impact moves for the first time and good lord the sweat I sweated! 🥵
  • AnnPT77
    Coached row, 3 seat of the quad, in the AM: 8k (exactly, bizarrely enough!), many pause drills, counted recovery drills, feet-out rowing, and a wrap up with some timed hard-push/paddle intervals.

After that, I went to the Y, did some of my physical therapy exercises on machines instead of with bands/weights at home (physical therapist is fine with this), then for no good reason did 6 x 1' intervals on the rowing machine. Of course, I had to reset the machine from damper 10 and calories display, a thing that on-water rowers find inevitable (but hilarious) in gyms.

Afternoon, the usual short urban walk from the farmers market remote parking to the farmers market. (One of these days, I need to take the free pedi-cab shuttle. It looks like fun, but I keep thinking I oughta walk while I still can, y'know? But I have nice chats with the pedi-cab guys at the parking lot. ;) )
  • Lietchi
    edited August 1
    Yesterday's exercise:
    - first a 4km run on the treadmill in 27min36
    - followed by a short strength training session, with some exercises (abs, legs, biceps) I didn't get a chance to do the day before, but only about half the sets I wanted to do (dinner earlier than I thought). But still enough to get my Garmin strength training badge for July, right on time 🙂

Probably no exercise today - I'll be going out for drinks with some old coworkers after work.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 472 Member
    Good workout this morning. Just cardio today as I got up late. Still fighting the jet lag.

Stretching

65 minutes on the spin bike: HR 124/154
    35 minutes on the treadmill: HR 125/138

Stretching
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Yesterday's exercise:
    - first a 4km run on the treadmill in 27min36
    - followed by a short strength training session, with some exercises (abs, legs, biceps) I didn't get a chance to do the day before, but only about half the sets I wanted to do (dinner earlier than I thought). But still enough to get my Garmin strength training badge for July, right on time 🙂

Probably no exercise today - I'll be going out for drinks with some old coworkers after work.

Correction: got home earlier than expected, so I did a 6km run in 41min57, just a steady-state run this time. Heart rate a bit higher this run, but I guess it's logical after a beer and three coffees!