Fast or work out, that is the question?

I am currently 330 pounds. I can't get into a relationship at all. I feel like a complete loser looking in the mirror. Anyways, the question is, do I fast, or do I work out excessively. I've heard of many people working out excessively and losing the 100-150 pounds, then having saggy skin. But surgery for that is not covered where I live in BC, Canada. I think it costs around $20,000. What should I do?.

Best Answer

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    edited July 28
    It's the fast weight loss that is hard on the skin, not the working out. Loose skin is also dependent on age, amount of weight lost and simply genetics.
    Not sure why you are asking 'fast or working out'?
    They are not mutually exclusive, not are they both strictly necessary.

Intermittent fasting: some say it has 'magic' properties, but it's mostly just a way to manage your food intake and stick to a calorie goal. Some people can manage their hunger and food intake better if they limit the number of hours they can eat. For other people, the fasting time makes them ravenous and then they overeat. So it's a matter of trial and error - the duration of the fasting interval can also make a difference.

As for exercise: great for health (unless excessive) - find something you enjoy and can keep up 'for life' and not just for weight-loss. If you add resistance training, that will help you limit muscle loss during weight-loss.
    Don't do 'excessive' exercise - if you want to lose weight and keep it off long-term, you need long-term habits, not a rate of exercise you can't keep up. It's also a quick road to giving up and regaining weight afterwards.
    Same goes for eating by the way, extreme deprivation (too few calories, banning your favorite foods etc) is more likely to lead either to giving up and/or regaining afterwards, because you haven't created sustainable new habits.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 186 Member
    Hi, and welcome to MFP.

It’s not really a choice between ‘fast’ or ‘work out’, it’s just a little of both: eat a little less, move a little more, and do that consistently until you’re at the weight you want to be.

How much weight do you feel you need to lose? I am guessing it’s somewhere in the 100-150 range, but if you can post your height, age, gender, and how many calories you currently eat, that will help others to give you more detailed advice (I am sure the MFP regulars will stop by shortly).

I’m no psychologist, but when looking for a relationship with someone else it can’t do any harm to start by finding a bit of love for yourself - as per in that soaring 80’s ballard, learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all.

Best wishes for your journey ahead - we’ll be here cheering you on if you stick around!
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 88 Member
    It is extremely hard to exercise your way out of a bad diet. Food choices and calorie management is key. An hour of intensive exercise for me only burns up to 500 calories( though would be more for someone heavier than me). I can easily eat 2-3 cookies and that be 500 calories. And it is very hard to keep up very extreme exercise for long periods of time.
    Get your diet and food choices in check and try for some moderate exercise you can maintain. Good luck!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    Neither one. You are SO much more than a number on a scale.

Eat real food.
    Get enough sleep.
    Drink water.
    Cut out sugar as much as you can.
    Eat enough fiber.
    Take a walk once or twice a day.
    Pick up a hobby that makes you happy.
    Connect with real live people.
    Sit less.
    Keep your kryptonite out of your house.

Ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian and have an honest conversation.

Choose to be kind to yourself NOW and not just someday in the future when you decide you've earned it.

Bite the bulley and get a physical with full bloodwork so you have your starting numbers and can measure all of your progress.

Spend time on your personal growth and mental health, and becoming the person you really already are underneath your worries and fears.

Practice treating yourself the way you would treat a friend facing the same challenges - especially, use the same language as you would if you were talking to a younger friend. Not your younger self, because we tend to lack compassion for ourselves while we have it in abundance for others. YOU are equally deserving.

And if you can, get some counseling about the issues you uncover on your journey.

Whatever you start today needs to be something you can maintain for the long term, so don't jump into something extreme and abusive. Start from a place of caring for yourself and wanting yourself to succeed. You CAN do it.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    Your fatloss will be predominantly from diet. Exercise helps to a point. Fasting is completely unnecessary.

If you simply eliminate or minimize ultra processed carbs (junk food), liquid calories and any alcohol, you’ll start seeing big changes. Once you start losing your self esteem will go through the roof.

You can start counting and tracking calories so you’ll end up getting more conscious of how many calories are attached to which foods and then you’ll start prioritizing the less caloric ones. You’ll find things like chicken breasts are very low calorie and high in protein content so things like that will become a priority.

• stayoffmylawn
    stayoffmylawn Posts: 2 Member
    Ok thanks everyone for all your responses, from what I gathered you guys would like to know more about my situation. So, back in 2016-2017 I was taking a medication that caused weight gain. When I started it I was 230 pounds. I didn't really work out at the gym at the time so the weight got up to 360 poundsish and I decided to stop taking the medication by that time. Well, when I stopped the medication I actually almost immediately lost about 40-50 pounds without any effort at all. The medication was called Nardil... aka Phenelzine. So I have been stuck at around 330 pounds since 2017.

I don't eat a whole lot every day, just an average amount, but I will keep track of what I eat for 1 day and report back to you guys. Currently I take Abilify which is weight neutral and doesn't really cause weight gain unless you eat too much and can be good for weight loss if you don't eat much (it has a side effect called "lack of appetite".. something like that). The most I have lost before was about 20 pounds down to 309ish, but I gained it back because I haven't been eating very healthy I guess.

So I am a 6"2, 35 year old male. I'd say my weight loss goal is around 170 pounds (back to where I used to be).

I had a gym membership but gave it up because I wasn't even using it. Maybe I'll sign up again if I get some positive feedback here on what I should do. So far I thank you guys for your feedback, I hope the info I provided can give you guys a better idea of my situation. I meant with the question "fast, or work out" as the question of, should I fast only until I lose all the weight (without working out), or should I work out 100% until the weight is lost (with the risk of saggy skin). I'd like to lose the weight in at least a year if I do choose to work out, but maybe that will take longer because 150 pounds is a lot.

Anyways, I'll get back to you guys on how much I eat in a day (with calorie count etc). Thanks again.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,737 Member
    Ok thanks everyone for all your responses, from what I gathered you guys would like to know more about my situation. So, back in 2016-2017 I was taking a medication that caused weight gain. When I started it I was 230 pounds. I didn't really work out at the gym at the time so the weight got up to 360 poundsish and I decided to stop taking the medication by that time. Well, when I stopped the medication I actually almost immediately lost about 40-50 pounds without any effort at all. The medication was called Nardil... aka Phenelzine. So I have been stuck at around 330 pounds since 2017.

I don't eat a whole lot every day, just an average amount, but I will keep track of what I eat for 1 day and report back to you guys. Currently I take Abilify which is weight neutral and doesn't really cause weight gain unless you eat too much and can be good for weight loss if you don't eat much (it has a side effect called "lack of appetite".. something like that). The most I have lost before was about 20 pounds down to 309ish, but I gained it back because I haven't been eating very healthy I guess.

So I am a 6"2, 35 year old male. I'd say my weight loss goal is around 170 pounds (back to where I used to be).

I had a gym membership but gave it up because I wasn't even using it. Maybe I'll sign up again if I get some positive feedback here on what I should do. So far I thank you guys for your feedback, I hope the info I provided can give you guys a better idea of my situation. I meant with the question "fast, or work out" as the question of, should I fast only until I lose all the weight (without working out), or should I work out 100% until the weight is lost (with the risk of saggy skin). I'd like to lose the weight in at least a year if I do choose to work out, but maybe that will take longer because 150 pounds is a lot.

Anyways, I'll get back to you guys on how much I eat in a day (with calorie count etc). Thanks again.

Definitely start with the tracking. Make sure you're being as honest and accurate as possible when tracking it all. Sometimes we can really surprise ourselves with what we find out about what we're eating.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    edited July 28
    I'll repeat myself, since your phrasing sounds like you think saggy skin comes from exercising: it doesn't. Saggy skin is a result of weight loss - risk of saggy skin is higher with more weight-loss, faster weight-loss, being older. Also: even if you have saggy skin, it can firm up for up to a year or longer after weight-loss.
    I recommend aiming for a slower rate of loss, if saggy skin is a concern. I was worried about saggy skin too before losing weight: I lost 75lbs quite slowly and although I do have some loose skin, it's nowhere near as bad as I though it would be. And, most of all, the loose skin pales in comparison with how great I feel at my lower weight.

Exercise (resistance training) will help retain muscle so will help you look better at goal weight and exercise in general is great for health and feeling better. The only valid reason I see for not exercising during weight-loss is if your current weight/ health makes it impossible/dangerous.

Weight-loss is the result of a calorie deficit, whether that comes from eating less, being more active or a combination of both. The trick is finding a balance and going at a rate that allows you to build good habits for the future (weight maintenance after achieving your goal).
    Having a sustainable exercise routine is a fundamental part of many people's strategy in maintaining their weight.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    Neither of these are necessary. How many calories per day does MFP give you in order to reach your goals? The first step is learning how to count calories using a digital food scale and get used to accurately tracking your food. Then start moving towards the calorie goal MFP gave you.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    The phrase "until.the weight is lost" is problematic. We tend to get stuck in that mindset, but that is where much relapsing and gaining it back comes from.

Consider this: What sustainable changes can you make that you can live with forever?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited July 29
    A few observations, in addition to everything above (which I heartily second).

I read a synopsis of a study that showed that people who smile a lot attract more people.

I’m extremely shy, but I’ve made an effort to do that, and man oh man, is that the truth. People are so shocked by someone noticing- and acknowledging them with a smile that they instinctively respond likewise.

Get out in your neighborhood. Walk. Take the opportunity to use that smile at folks. What happened for me as I walked and lost, was I actually developed a cheering squad of complete strangers. People would give me a thumbs up. Some would catch and walk with me for a bit. Others would roll down their windows and yell “good job!” I never caught crap for being overweight and unattractive, as I exoected. Instead I was showered with kindness, which blew my mind. Random people would say,”oh I know you! You’re the walking lady! I’ve watched you lose weight!”

I do the same now for others I see on the same path as me. I try to give them a thumbs up, or an “I can see the difference!”

Finally, just this weekend I began listening to a podcast called Where Are You Going?

Each episode is about five minutes long, and the host simply walks up to strangers and says,”where are you going?”

The responses are phenomenal. Many are wildly unexpected.

I find it fascinating that a simple question repeat brings such pleasure to those asked. I’m thinking I need to rethink this whole shyness thing and come up with my own simple question.

I have a good friend who simply says,” so, tell me about yourself”. She knows everyone in town. That’s powerful stuff, just being interested in something past your own nose.
  • springlering62
    I guess all this is to say, it wasn’t til I found it in myself to love and be kind to myself that I felt I could succeed at weight loss.

Don’t beat yourself up. What’s your good qualities? Let ‘em shine. Don’t keep your light under a bushel.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 533 Member
    I’ll be blunt and say to stop worrying what the personal visuals will be once you’re in a healthier state than you currently find yourself in. That is one thing I’ve not seen you mention. What your priority should be is to be healthier which will be a by product of you finding what works for you. With medications you’ve listed keep in mind that they have a side effect on your mental state and some effects on your metabolism. That should be your priority before creating a new life style to better both your food consumption and exercise routine. Stop worrying about how fast how much and what your skin will look like once you drop some significant weight. You’re about 20 years my junior so yes you can do this. Just take your time. Time is most definitely on your side. The rate of loss, your genetics, your nutrition will help you regarding some loose skin. But be guaranteed that you’ll still have some things that may never be 100%. I have learned to live with it as scars for decades of poor decisions. 6’2 330 lbs is not a bad starting point. You stated you don’t eat too much, but be aware too much doesn’t mean size amount or frequency. Not telling you to become vegan.. providing the below link for you to see comparison of cals.

https://youtu.be/b5qTnq5H1pw?si=PJS6dqVM-YER83gI

Find what you can live with. It should be something you could see yourself doing for years or the rest of your life. Your physical and mental health should be as routine as brushing your teeth or taking a bath. Sure eating better and exercising is not as easy, but why should it not be something that is done much like those daily duties.

Check in with your Dr(s) have them put you in contact with a dietitian. They’ll help you better understand overall nutrition. Take some of that info. and for long term success tweak it to what works for you.
  • springlering62
    Listen to @mrmota70

He is the man, and speaks truth.

(I am so happy to see MrMota70 posting again!!!!!!!)
  • Dontkillbill1509
    Dontkillbill1509 Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 3
    I was in a similiar situation and all I can say is that it was hard to start but well worth it. Lots of resources on diet and exercise. I fancy some of the science based workout videos on youtube but most importantly is calories in and getting active. (Did I mention sleep its a corner stone of any good weight loss program) . For me my first work outs were very short but after a few weeks I got more ability to work and recover. Good luck but luck doesn't track calories, go to the gym and decide to turn off the TV/Computer and get a good sleep you will however. I am in PEI Canada so we are far apart but have coastal roots :)
    Dont worry about skin you can buy underarmour shirts that make you looked jacked after you drop some pounds!
  • AngWil729
    AngWil729 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi there, my highest weight was 352. I’m 5’2. I’ve found IM, logging my food (I am at 1500 calories) and slow and steady weight loss help me. I hated going to the gym. I started by walking inside my house. I currently have a knee and hip injury so walking is painful. I joined the gym again and have been doing water aerobics. I’m back on the losing train. My goal is to get to a BMI of 45 for knee surgery and keep on improving myself. I understand your frustration. Every little win is a victory! Try eliminate one “bad/sweet” food at a time. Small changes can add up to big rewards over time. Good luck!!
  • springlering62
    …. Good luck but luck doesn't track calories….

This ought to be at the top of every single board, and automatically added to every post made.

I’m gonna steal this!