Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What do you add to your yogurt

Replies

• adriennemportier
    adriennemportier Posts: 1 Member
    I use unsweetened Greek yogurt & I’ll add pb2 powder and dark chocolate chips.

Or I’ll use local honey, oat clusters, & dried cranberries or fresh berries, but to avoid spoiled fruit, I normally opt for dried cranberries. :)
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,266 Member
    I love 🫐 blueberries mixed into plain Greek yogurt. Sometimes cacao nibs for crunch. Cacao nibs have a ton of nutrition - (polyphenols/flavonoids) but also calories so I watch the amount!
  • roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 107 Member
    Polaner all fruit sugar free spread. 25 calories a tablespoon
  • ammajay916
    ammajay916 Posts: 6 Member
    Some nice ideas! I usually like fresh blueberries (or other berries but blue are my fave) and a small squirt of agave syrup. Sometimes I’ll add a dollop of strawberry preserves. I like Crofters - 30 calories in a Tbsp and I never need a full tablespoon.
  • happyhillery1
    happyhillery1 Posts: 4 Member
    I love to top my Greek yogurt with fresh fruit - recently I went through a cherry plum phase. I then top it with half a serving of grainfree granola. I adore the purely Elizabeth brand, but it's extremely expensive. I've been making my own and it's getting better.

If I don't have fresh fruit, I will use no sugar added, canned in water peaches or pears. I'm diabetic, so I tend to stay away from dried fruit, but it would be tasty. You can use frozen fruit, but you need to take it out earlier in the day.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,270 Member
    edited August 6
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    I

I irregularly "Greek-ify" regular yogurt by straining it for a specific use. I sometimes bake bread with it - as a bread component, but also I've been experimenting with it as a source of live bacteria in emulating sourdough starter.

Greek yogurt is just regular yogurt that’s been strained.

Labneh is Greek yogurt that’s been strained even long. I’ll buy a tub of Greek, strain it a couple days, mix with a lot of fruit (cooked down or not, depending on the fruit) a couple of eggs and some sweetener, and bake in a pie dish.

Makes a very low cal, high protein “cheesecake”.

The liquid that you drain is whey. I save the whey from making skyr or straining that Greek yogurt and use it in lieu of water in bread, pancakes, pizza dough. It gives it a tangy sourdough taste and (imho) helps with rise. That whey has protein, too, which water does not.
  • lyndeeboo
    lyndeeboo Posts: 2 Member
    Cinnamon then eat it with apple slices! It completely changes the flavor and makes it sooooo decadent!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,193 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

I irregularly "Greek-ify" regular yogurt by straining it for a specific use. I sometimes bake bread with it - as a bread component, but also I've been experimenting with it as a source of live bacteria in emulating sourdough starter.

Greek yogurt is just regular yogurt that’s been strained.

Labneh is Greek yogurt that’s been strained even long. I’ll buy a tub of Greek, strain it a couple days, mix with a lot of fruit (cooked down or not, depending on the fruit) a couple of eggs and some sweetener, and bake in a pie dish.

Makes a very low cal, high protein “cheesecake”.

The liquid that you drain is whey. I save the whey from making skyr or straining that Greek yogurt and use it in lieu of water in bread, pancakes, pizza dough. It gives it a tangy sourdough taste and (imho) helps with rise. That whey has protein, too, which water does not.

I do sometimes strain my yogurt .... that's my joke about "Greek-ify" ...

I might try to create labneh. Thanks for giving the lead, I"d never heard of it.

Yes, I know it's whey. I usually just drink it, although I have been known to add it to my bread recipes. I go through tubs of powdered unflavored whey concentrate pretty regularly, sometimes adding it to my bread mixes, but usually in other concoctions. I'm 70yo, so recognizing my protein metabolism efficiency isn't probably what it used to be, I try and boost my daily consumption in several ways.

If you're using live-culture yogurts to strain and extract your liquid whey, the fluid will have critters in it as well. Usually just a couple of types of bacteria, but there might be some environmental yeast joining the party too, which might contribute to rise. I have been, since the end of last year, experimenting with "hybrid sourdough" which is a mix of yeast and live bacteria (from yogurt and/or kefir) to emulate a typical long-lived sourdough starter. I hate to admit it, but I've been a failure at keeping bacteria alive for more than a couple of rounds of starter usage, so the 'hybrid" approach is my way to recreate a culture every batch of baking. In my experiments when I use the powdered whey, I usually don't go above "2 scoops" per loaf unless I want noticable whey flavoring and more browning. The whey I use is about 18g protein per scoop, so I get almost 1g protein "boost" per slice per scoop (on the average my rectangular loaves yield 20-21 slices).

The photos are of a recent experimental batch bake: 2 loaves of a "lite" whole wheat bread (30% WW, 70% bread flour) using normal yogurt to supplement baker's yeast as a "hybrid sourdough," and 1 loaf using kefir in an unbleached (white) bread loaf. Same proportions of yeast and dairy in all. 1st photo is beginning of 1st rise (countertop room temp), 2nd photo at end of 1st rise 8 hours later, 3rd photo the resulting loaves. I got a little "creative" with variations of scoring the loaves' tops which is why they're different-looking. I use a high-hydration, no-knead approach with foldovers to set up the 2nd rise. I had previously used the yogurt with an all-unbleached-bread-flour bake which was a baseline; using kefir was therefore experiment 1, added whole wheat experiment 2. Results: all fine eating, essentially equivalent loaves (rise, crumb, etc.). In both, the tang was an underlying note, not like true sourdough.

htkxrd4ivulh.jpeg

xojaz6o5zi59.jpeg

4nheczipvg6m.jpeg

• mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,485 Member
    Not a mix-in, but rather another way to use yogurt: You can use it on your salad, in place of dressing, for a more nutritious topping than dressing is. Sounds odd, I know, but it tastes really good!
  • springlering62
    May have already said this, but yogurt, a bit of salt and pepper and some lemon juice. Whip, let “marinate” a couple of hours in the fridge to merge the flavors.

Makes a terrific salad dressing, good on rice, as a side to grilled chicken etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    May have already said this, but yogurt, a bit of salt and pepper and some lemon juice. Whip, let “marinate” a couple of hours in the fridge to merge the flavors.

Makes a terrific salad dressing, good on rice, as a side to grilled chicken etc.

I used to do the same thing, though just mixed, with yogurt, lemon juice, and just a bit of honey as a dressing for fruit. Depending on the fruit, a little bit of finely minced fresh thyme leaves in fruit dressing is really good, too. Great on honeydew or cantaloupe, for example.
  • mp_2022
    mp_2022 Posts: 8 Member
    I add PB2 with cocoa and a few Lily's dark chocolate chips!
  • p8m6bwghh9
    p8m6bwghh9 Posts: 49 Member
    I also use it instead of mayo in chicken/tuna salad and slaw dressing. Recently used in zucchini bread recipe found online.
  • Jan_Can
    Jan_Can Posts: 2 Member
    Usually fresh fruit & a teaspoon of agave—berries, peaches, or bananas are my go-to. Sometimes a tablespoon of high quality fruit preserves if I’m out of fruit. Always finish with a sprinkling of nuts for texture. And sometimes chia seeds.
  • roxspo
    roxspo Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 20
    i just keep it simple but am obsessed with it after having disliked yoghurt most of my life.
    i have light greek yoghurt with frozen blueberries, frozen banana & a drizzle of honey.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,988 Member
    2 TBSP chocolate Ovaltine...
  • springlering62
    edited August 21
    roxspo wrote: »
    i just keep it simple but am obsessed with it after having disliked yoghurt most of my life.
    i have light greek yoghurt with frozen blueberries, frozen banana & a drizzle of honey.

There’s something about frozen blueberries that just delight all of me. Have you tried the Wyman’s little tiny wild blueberries? 😱

I used to go through sacks of Cadbury’s Crispy Eggs and M&Ms. Now it’s Wyman’s. Never would have thought that would happen. I should buy stock.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    I do this for my son, so its definitely a kid style.
    Stir in some fruity pancake syrup.

Im sure the low quality yogurt makers do that.
  • AnitaLambert
    AnitaLambert Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 26
    I use Fage Greek Yogurt, always with frozen raspberries, sometimes I'll add Hemp Hearts. Depends on how my macros are looking for the day. My grandson loves it, my granddaughter not so much... :smiley:
  • KingAndrade209
    KingAndrade209 Posts: 1 Member
    Organic granola with chocolate pieces and cherries. I always buy a pound every couple weeks from WinCo. Little expensive but worth it