Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone using injectible weight loss meds ? (Ozempic, etc.)

Answers

• deewip
    deewip Posts: 16 Member
    I feel that semaglutides are helpful for those who can benefit from it. In this day and age more information is leading to the fact that it can benefit one’s healthwise including those with food addiction. Food addiction, like any other addiction is becoming more of a problem for many. And just like in the past there have been ones addicted to food, alcohol or drugs that have successfully fought their addiction with willpower or life changing experiences. I have friends who have done this. But at the same time now these ones now have children in this generation who are finding it hard to go that route - just on willpower or faith alone. With the increase of challenges in dealing with mental health many now have found the need for treatment that will help them in getting better. The need for medications may have to be addressed, including the semaglutides. These ones should be praised for wanting to feel better in health. Taking medication is no easy process but they have made a brave decision in doing so. The tide is changing. For those who have the opinion that weightloss can be achieved through willpower and self control alone will soon find themselves in a very small room sharing these opinions with each other.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,945 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    deewip wrote: »
    ...The tide is changing. For those who have the opinion that weightloss can be achieved through willpower and self control alone will soon find themselves in a very small room sharing these opinions with each other.

I agree. No one tells people suffering from depression to just think happy thoughts and power through the doldrums or suggests folks with alcohol issues simply stop after one or two drinks. Yet the food willpower bandwagon has no shortage of riders. If food compulsion is not your issue, just be thankful and don't hinder those finding success through methods other than "all things in moderation".
    Edited to add: I lost 87 lbs. through the willpower route. But that didn't stop the 24/7 food noise in my head nor the desire to binge. Wegovy took away that compulsive food desire and I am suddenly enjoying life without constant intrusive food thoughts.
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    ...The tide is changing. For those who have the opinion that weightloss can be achieved through willpower and self control alone will soon find themselves in a very small room sharing these opinions with each other.

I agree. No one tells people suffering from depression to just think happy thoughts and power through the doldrums or suggests folks with alcohol issues simply stop after one or two drinks. Yet the food willpower bandwagon has no shortage of riders. If food compulsion is not your issue, just be thankful and don't hinder those finding success through methods other than "all things in moderation".
    Edited to add: I lost 87 lbs. through the willpower route. But that didn't stop the 24/7 food noise in my head nor the desire to binge. Wegovy took away that compulsive food desire and I am suddenly enjoying life without constant intrusive food thoughts.

Oh, trust me, they do tell people with depression that. Add in "you don't have anything to be depressed about, just get over it and stop acting like a spoiled brat"

THANK YOU for saying this!

There are clueless people willing to spout nonsense about pretty much anything someone else struggles with.

Including depression/mental illness.

What is easy to some might be an intense struggle for someone else.

We are learning a lot about the factors that influence our behavior and weight. Comments like “just eat less” usually don’t help.

See also: “Have you tried yoga?” said to physically disabled people

And “Just make a schedule/Use a planner!” to people who have been diagnosed with ADHD

Common advice, worth as much as a used paper cup.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,501 Member
    There are clueless people willing to spout nonsense about pretty much anything someone else struggles with...Comments like “just eat less” usually don’t help.

In the same vain.
    "Alcoholic? Stop drinking. See, I fixed you"

Will Ferrell in the same self-important unhelpful vein.

"You want to be a millionaire? Well first get million dollars."
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,357 Member
    edited July 15
    And NO EXCUSES! Use your willpower. Push through it. White knuckle if you have to...
    -- or worse, also ask if you are just plain stupid, with a tone of disdain or worse....

i find these things particularly egregious and without understanding, compassion or empathy....

it is a wholly different thing to help someone work through their thinking and problem solve.... with appropriate alternatives/next steps to try for their current situation and personal condition.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,945 Member
    And NO EXCUSES! Use your willpower. Push through it. White knuckle if you have to...
    -- or worse, also ask if you are just plain stupid, with a tone of disdain or worse....

i find these things particularly egregious and without understanding, compassion or empathy....

it is a wholly different thing to help someone work through their thinking and problem solve.... with appropriate alternatives/next steps to try for their current situation and personal condition.

The ‘80s exercise refrain of “no pain no gain!”

So unhealthy and unhelpful.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 649 Member
    I’ve been on compound semiglutide since March 27.(same thing as ozembic) Making solid progress (down 27.6 pounds) about 24 more To go. The medical health and fitness industry is really changing to be more accepting of using GLP1’s as a tool.
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    NCGOALIEMOM Posts: 82 Member
    Yes. I’ve been on Monjaro since March. I started getting compound 4 months ago so I could break up my doses. Much less side effects since I started doing that.
  • HappyDonkey75
    HappyDonkey75 Posts: 201 Member
    I’ve been on compound semiglutide since March 27.(same thing as ozembic) Making solid progress (down 27.6 pounds) about 24 more To go. The medical health and fitness industry is really changing to be more accepting of using GLP1’s as a tool.

That is so true because it seems like now its not such a "bad" word as people have become more educated about it. There is also alot of information now about how it is helping other health issues, ie, cardio. I do think its high risk for people to be using it as a crutch and not doing the hard work along with it to change habits for the long term.
  • MounjaroMia
    MounjaroMia Posts: 9 Member
    Just commenting here... the pharmaceutical companies encourage obesity. They make money on it. Its their cash cow, so to speak.

The semaglutide will ONLY work if you are not eating junk, and are elevating your physicality. Otherwise, it is just a fad without any true purpose besides making the pharmaceutical companies richer. And they know that further down the line, you will be ready to take more of their meds that enable you to still eat like crap.

I got my bloodwork back from the doc. Tris, lipids and liver enzymes all pre-cardiac arrest. I know there is one surefire cure: eating right, eating less, losing weight and increasing cardio activity. And it all sums up to will power.

I made a deal with him. I am going to lose weight in 2 months, and if my blood panel isn't down, I will get on the cholesterol meds until they are.

I say all that to just make sure you only use meds until you don't have to. And most of the meds manufactured for metabolic disease most people don't need permanently. Treat it as a medical condition, not a stigma. The medical condition is poor bloodwork from poor diet and lethargy. Change that, and everything else is icing.

Cheers!
    Diabetics probably will need this permanently.

• deewip
    deewip Posts: 16 Member
    I love all the comments here! I feel it’s very educational and empowering. We all are trying to do our best in being mindful about our wellness
  • jess2023mac
    jess2023mac Posts: 41 Member
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Oh, trust me, they do tell people with depression that. Add in "you don't have anything to be depressed about, just get over it and stop acting like a spoiled brat"

Yep, I've heard comments like that as well. :( 'Think happy thoughts. Put a smile on your face and it'll all feel better, hang out with positive people, fake it till you make it'.

To comment on the original question: they put my son on Ozempic quite awhile ago and while it was to treat his diabetes, a side affect of it was losing 40+ pounds. He had no desire to eat. You hear about the negative side effects of it in the news and he told me those are people who could be on larger doses than he is. IDK. He also said he has to pay for the first dose every year, which I think is 1K but the rest his insurance pays for, so it is really expensive. :(