Hi protein snacks

Hey everyone I'm new to the app
I'm looking for hi protein low cals snack ideas
Tagged:

Replies

• Justlivit_fit
    Justlivit_fit Posts: 6 Member
    Hey! I would love to help. A lot of my clients struggle with finding easy portable snacks that are high in protein and macro friendly. My go-tos are chomps, jack link jerky, Quest protein chips, individual greek and yogurt cups. I would love to share my guide to high protein snacks if you are interested!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Hello, and welcome!

Reasonably high protein snacks I like: Crispy chickpeas/broadbeans/lentils, dry roasted soybeans, 2% milk string cheese sticks or other calorie-efficient cheese, hard-boiled eggs, plain nonfat Greek yogurt with frozen mixed berries and chocolate peanut butter powder, skim latte. (NB: I'm vegetarian, otherwise there'd be meat/fish on the list).

If you're interested in general foods that are high in protein but relatively lower in calories, i.e., can be snacks or included in meals, see this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 88 Member
    @AnnPT77 curious about the crispy peas, beans, lentils. Do you make these yourself and how do you do that or buy them and where to find? I’ve only seen the veggie crisps in the potato chip aisle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    edited August 16
    wm3796 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 curious about the crispy peas, beans, lentils. Do you make these yourself and how do you do that or buy them and where to find? I’ve only seen the veggie crisps in the potato chip aisle.

I've made crispy chickpeas myself. (I don't do it regularly because I'm lazy. ;) ) I'm not 100% sure, but I think I used this recipe:

https://www.theleangreenbean.com/how-to-roast-chickpeas/

There are lots of recipes online, easy to find with web search.

As far as buying: I'm in the US. If you aren't, this may not be helpful.

I've found various of those (crispy broad beans, chickpeas, lentils) in health food groceries (I think Whole Foods probably has them, but I bought them at a local place), and at really big grocery stores (Meijer, here, mostly) where they might be in a healthy snacks area, with nuts, near chips, or in an international foods section.

These days, the ones I buy the most are Enlightened (brand) Bada Bean Bada Boom crispy broad beans (just taste preference). They come in many flavors, but I mostly buy sea salt. I buy them on Amazon, because I can get a case of the single-serve 1-ounce packs, which are handy for me to take on bike rides, plus help me moderate portions. These are not a pure "health food". There's some nutrition in there, but they're salty, for example. They have some protein, and the other nutrients you'd expect from beans; I think they're 6g protein in 110 calories, which is not super high protein, but there's some. (Remember, I'm vegetarian, so I don't have options like tuna, jerky, etc.)

Some other brands I recall are Saffron Road (I think those were lentils?) and Good Bean. I like the Good Bean ones less because they seemed more oily (texture, not necessarily macros).

Home made, you could consider a whole food. The packaged ones, maybe consider moderately processed. I don't see that as a problem, but some people would. And like I said, salty.