Does anyone know how to suppress appetite?

I can not stop binging even when I am full - I still feel hungry! Can anyone help?

Answers

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,242 Member
    edited August 12
    For me eating very tasy food helped stop binging long term (3 years and going).

For example I eat very well seasoned food, with lots of ingredients, herbs and spices. I cook a lot of Ottolenghi for example. No bland steamed nonsence. I only eat very tasty food but I eat very healthy too and healthy food doesn't make me want to binge. Ever. Haven't had any binge urges for years.
  • dan10000
    dan10000 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 12
    Are there any healthy foods you enjoy? If you eat more of those during meal times you might not feel as hungry later. Eg I love grated carrot! I eat loads of that and it fills me up. Also it’s annoying but drink more water/low cal drinks. That really does make a difference. Good luck!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,487 Member
    Some people find more protein, less sugar helps.
    I binge when I don't sleep. Chasing energy.
    Do you have a trigger?
  • Krazy80ate
    Krazy80ate Posts: 10 Member
    I agree with Corina 1143. Every meal should have proteins and maybe check into your macros and up the protein intake. You can try to adjust this weekly sooo week 1 do 1 g per pound then use carbs to fill the bulk of the remaining calories and then fats. Mainly because their values are 4/4/9 so for each 1 gram of protein is 4 calories, 1 gram carbs / 4 calories/ and 1 gram of fats equals 9 calories. That’s AIE time to figure tdee, calorie intake to cut body fat and what that looks like. Next get a digital scale and use it log in everything you eat, earn your breakfast with fasted cardio. Drink half of your total body weight In water daily, then this can help you drop 5-10 lbs of water weight.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,856 Member
    Krazy80ate wrote: »
    I agree with Corina 1143. Every meal should have proteins and maybe check into your macros and up the protein intake. You can try to adjust this weekly sooo week 1 do 1 g per pound then use carbs to fill the bulk of the remaining calories and then fats. Mainly because their values are 4/4/9 so for each 1 gram of protein is 4 calories, 1 gram carbs / 4 calories/ and 1 gram of fats equals 9 calories. That’s AIE time to figure tdee, calorie intake to cut body fat and what that looks like. Next get a digital scale and use it log in everything you eat, earn your breakfast with fasted cardio. Drink half of your total body weight In water daily, then this can help you drop 5-10 lbs of water weight.

Lots of odd info here, but this is downright dangerous. Why do you want someone to dehydrate themselves, in summer, causing electrolyte imbalance? This can easily end up in hospital. Especially without further information. Like: So I'm 64kg. Do I now drink 32kg of water per day? TO, don't do that.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 88 Member
    Slow down when eating. Put your fork down and let your food digest. It takes time for your body to digest and send out its satiety hormones(what makes you feel full). Add whole foods,limit ultra processed foods, and try some foods that are filling for low calories(such as leafy greens, etc).
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 507 Member
    Is it possible to keep the foods that you binge on out of the house?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    edited August 13
    Krazy80ate wrote: »
    fasted cardio does nothing and that much water does nothing for fatloss and is unnecessary and can be dangerous and dropping 5-10 lbs of bodyweight? Where are you getting this information?

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    What other things in your life “consume” your thoughts besides food? A mental health professional once told me that people who tend to obsess over something should expect that they may “transfer” that obsession over to other topics throughout their lives. Once you are able to get past one thing that consumes you, you may need to prepare for something else to take its place. Do you have PASSIONS that you would prefer to think about?
  • CitricHamster
    CitricHamster Posts: 162 Member
    Hey, I use to be really bad. Weirdly tracking the food on the diary, just so I have visibility, helped.

I had to track everything honestly. And by honestly, I mean, I was honest in what I was recording. Never miss out the small snacks/nibbles.
    I started weighing everything too so I had a better picture.

I'd then sip water (don't down it, sip) whenever the urge crept up on me. If really bad, I then had something like a banana.

Do not get me wrong. The frustration was real when I wanted to eat, but slowly after a couple of weeks of strict watching, the binge urge became easier to manage.

Other suggestions on here worked too, like avoid buying foods which are easier to binge on. For me, crisps were a biiig factor. So I stopped buying them. I still get to eat them, but they are treats which I eat when out with friends.

All all in, keep trying. You'll be okay.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited August 13
    YMMV but “fasted cardio” for me would immediately trigger a frantic binge.

Learn your body. It speaks, if you listen.

Like others, I don’t keep foods I’d binge on in the house. There are a few things that are issues for me.

I only buy small individual servings of chocolate, and I put them in the freezer. Frozen chocolate has little taste compared to room temp, so I have to really want to some in order to wait for it to come to room temp, and since it’s a small bar, I’d hesitate to grab more than one.

I found myself reaching for the dried chocolate coconut chips in the pantry. They are delicious and actually not bad for calories, but dangerous to me. I like them with a few grams of 5-grain muesli and honey on cottage cheese. I decanted all my muesli into mason jars, whacked the bag of chips with a rolling pin to smash them in to smaller pieces and mixed them in with the muesli.

Problem solved. No tempting bag of coconut chips calling me. And now my breakfast topping is conveniently mixed and ready to spoon out, to boot.

I sweat profusely and am often short on salt, which can lead to me diving head first into a bag of chips or pretzels. Instead, I have popcorn kernels and microwave popper ready to grab and make a quick salty snack. Someone here told me about mixing butter and soy sauce as a popcorn topper. It satisfies all my salt cravings and is way fewer calories than two or three paltry servings of chips scarfed down in a hurry.

If it’s in the house, and it’s a problem, how can you “change it up” to make it less so?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Rule out underlying health issues first (deficiencies, age related issues, etc).
    For me, I found I do better with higher protein and fats, and lower carbs. It takes a little bit to adjust, but the trend is that I will eat my meal, and if it's lower carb, after about 30 minutes I have ZERO desire to eat anything else (even if I thought I was hungry when I finished my plate). So, I'll dish up a reasonable serving, enjoy it (eat slowly, enjoy the flavors), and if I think I'm still hungry, set a timer for 30 minutes. If I'm still hungry, I can dish up some seconds and just heat it up. Most of the time, by that point, I don't go back for more. After a few weeks of this my brain/body adjusts and it's not so hard to stop at a reasonable amount of food the first time around.
    Limit or eliminate from the home the foods that I want to binge on, and provide myself alternatives that don't destroy my kcal (pickles are a favorite of mine as I tend towards savory over sweet)
    Measure, weigh, and enter food before you eat it - even if it's just a "lick/taste/sip"
    If you go back for seconds, same thing - enter before you eat
    Enter everything, even if you're blowing your numbers out of the water. Ignorance is NOT bliss.
    Keep healthier, low cal snacks and nibbles around for those times I just really want to nibble
    Dish up a reasonable serving (measured and entered as above) and just say you can go back for seconds (due to how I was raised, I struggle with not clearing my plate, even when I'm technically full).
  • 06photonscirque
    06photonscirque Posts: 1 Member
    Check how many carbs you are eating. Usually a carb based diet makes you want to eat more. It happens to me as well. After switching to eating more protein I feel I want to eat less. You need to make sure you maintain the balance.
    Also there is a psychological factor in play as well, eating makes you feel good, so when you are sad and want to feel better often you resort to eating. This may or may not happen to you but it happens to me and many people. You need to find alternatives, ie I love music and it makes me feel better. Other people get their dopamine hit by exercising gardening etc.
  • lwranch7
    lwranch7 Posts: 1 Member
    I was always hungry every waking hour until I started eating 30gms of protein and seriously limiting my carbs at every meal. I also walk 10+ minutes after every meal. BAM end of hunger!
  • holmeskl
    holmeskl Posts: 1 Member
    Coffee and green tea can both help suppress appetite.