I Feel Fat and I'm Not Sure Why

2»

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,122 Member
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    My very wise dietitian told me:
    Take 100 calories a day for what you WANT, rather than need. Your soul needs it. It can be a mini candy bar or bite of ice cream if you're a sweets person. Or it can be full fat milk instead of skim(my personal choice).
    lol @ a BITE of ice cream that’s like saying have only 1 chip…….

• lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 507 Member
    Take 100 calories a day for what you WANT, rather than need. Your soul needs it. It can be a mini candy bar or bite of ice cream if you're a sweets person. Or it can be full fat milk instead of skim(my personal choice).

I concur about the ice cream thing. I find it difficult to portion out ice cream. One spoonful isn't satisfying to me. One thing I think I can do is go to my local gelato shop and get the "kiddie" size cup,
    which is quite small, much smaller than the adult small. It's been hotter than hell here in L.A. and I've been craving a cold dessert.

Update, I'm down to 183.5. Tomcustombuilder said I should feel better and better as I lose weight, but I don't feel it yet. My hips and stomach have stayed the same, and I'm still very much overweight........I can scarcely believe that I used to be 120 (110 at one point in my life). 63.5 lbs is a lot of weight. On some days I still feel low, but staying consistent with my calorie intake keeps me going both mentally and physically.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,322 Member
    I like how you phrased that.. " I feel fat". we all have those periods of time when we feel "yuck" about ourselves. It will pass.. it is just a blip. You've lost 13 pounds and that's great...you can keep going.
    Look at it this way; Some people are very overweight and never "feel fat". and that keeps them fat. I don't like that you fee l low.. but better to feel fat and be getting truly skinnier than the opposite. I hope this phase passes quickly for you.. it will. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,759 Member
    lisakatz2 wrote: »

I concur about the ice cream thing. I find it difficult to portion out ice cream. One spoonful isn't satisfying to me. One thing I think I can do is go to my local gelato shop and get the "kiddie" size cup,
    which is quite small, much smaller than the adult small. It's been hotter than hell here in L.A. and I've been craving a cold dessert.

Update, I'm down to 183.5. Tomcustombuilder said I should feel better and better as I lose weight, but I don't feel it yet. My hips and stomach have stayed the same, and I'm still very much overweight........I can scarcely believe that I used to be 120 (110 at one point in my life). 63.5 lbs is a lot of weight. On some days I still feel low, but staying consistent with my calorie intake keeps me going both mentally and physically.

I kind of agree with Tom about feeling better along the way, but I also kind of don't.

Clarifying: I think it happens. I think there can be many NSVs (non-scale victories) along the way to goal, if we have our antennas up for them, too - and they can be motivating or encouraging.

But: I think the true overall "feeling better" sinking in (beyond some smaller NSVs) is going to take a decent chunk of pounds before it happens. Ten pounds, 20 pounds, maybe 25 pounds for serious overall feelings, maybe? And that takes a while.

Plus, I think for some of us there is that "need to tune in" thing. It's easy to turn one's attention to the discouragement side, the amount left to go, or similar. It can take consciously focusing on the positives to notice them.

You're down 13 pounds from March to when you started this thread, and another 3.5 since then, so 16.5. That's wonderful, significant . . . but honestly probably not life-changing all by itself. The initial honeymoon is maybe over, and revolutionary quality of life improvement hasn't happened.

This is maybe the "how committed are you?" phase. How to push through that is pretty individual. A few things I can think of are:

* Focusing on sustainability, the learning and practicing new habits part. If that involves losing even more slowly, that's potentially OK. (I think I said something similar earlier in the thread. ;) )
    * If you haven't already, maybe read the whole NSVs thread from the beginning (chip away at it). See what other people noticed and liked en route. Maybe that'll help.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275030/whats-your-most-recent-nsv/p1
    * Maybe consider a gratitude bullet journal. That's taking a tiny number of minutes every day to think of and write down 3 or 5 positive things - maybe accomplishments or results that flow from your health-improvement efforts, but really anything you're grateful for or feel good about.

That's kind of lame, but it's what I've got. At some point(s), long term gradual improvement efforts of any nature are likely to feel like a bit of a slog . . . at least that's been my experience. IMO, character arises (or reveals itself) from how we respond in those circumstances. Keep going. Find ways to keep going.

Best wishes, sincerely.
  • lisakatz2
    edited September 21
    I'm 182.5 now. Only one pound, but I'm on track to weigh in at 180 for my trip to Palm Springs 3 weeks from this past Friday. So hard not to be fixated on the numbers, and to be patient.

As NSVs go, I've lost an inch off my bust (*sigh*) an inch off my belly (yeah!!!!) and a half inch off my hips. I can wear XL bikini bottoms instead of 2XL.

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,736 Member
    lisakatz2 wrote: »
    I'm 182.5 now. Only one pound, but I'm on track to weigh in at 180 for my trip to Palm Springs 3 weeks from this past Friday. So hard not to be fixated on the numbers, and to be patient.

As NSVs go, I've lost an inch off my bust (*sigh*) an inch off my belly (yeah!!!!) and a half inch off my hips. I can wear XL bikini bottoms instead of 2XL.

1 inch off your waist and dropping pants sizes is amazing! So proud of you.
  • p8m6bwghh9
    p8m6bwghh9 Posts: 73 Member
    I use cocoa powder, Ghiradelli dark chocolate or rxbar minis (chocolate sea salt & peanut butter chocolate) when I get a hankerin for chocolate. I will be 63 in November and also sometimes get caught up in the coulda, woulda, shoulda game. I hope you enjoy your trip!
  • fmh1512
    fmh1512 Posts: 4 Member
    Youve got this… I find helpful to feed my mind eg find second hand book websites with healthy eating cook books for new meal ideas or listening to Zoe free podcasts helps. I seen you like chocolate… my go to is curly wurly … it’s under 100 cals. Sometimes cut in half and eat half lunch and other half tea. But ofc must keep to calorie deficit!
  • lisakatz2
    fmh1512 wrote: »
    Youve got this… I find helpful to feed my mind eg find second hand book websites with healthy eating cook books for new meal ideas or listening to Zoe free podcasts helps. I seen you like chocolate… my go to is curly wurly … it’s under 100 cals. Sometimes cut in half and eat half lunch and other half tea. But ofc must keep to calorie deficit!

I haven't seen Curly Wurlys here in the States. My favorite UK chocolate bar is the Lion Bar. I give them to my husband to hide and have him cut off 1/4 hunks at a time. I have no control when it comes to the Lion Bar!