bye bye red meats

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    what's your rationale for cutting out red meat?

I am wondering the same thing? !
  • Thanks for all the suggestions and feed back! I'll be back later to check in on any new responses!
  • Grokette
    Options
    Life's too short to cut out the simple pleasures we all enjoy to include a nice steak, ribs, roast , etc , etc. That's not to say eat red meat every day. It's to say it's all good in moderation. I probably eat red meat twice a week if that.
    life will be even shorter if i dont take my families health history into consideration. my family has everything some COPD, diabetes, strokes, cancer...etc etc etc. and if avoiding certain foods can help prevent me from continuing the cycle, i'm going to try it!
    but that's just my opinion on it. Obviously im not trying to tell anyone else that they have to do what i'm doing.
    This is just what I feel is best for my family right now.

Red meat has nothing to do with any of those conditions or diseases. Refined and processed carbohydrates are more to blame on the inflammation and damage than anything in any type of meat.

If you want to be able to heal fast and recover from illnesses, protein (meats) help you to accomplish this.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Point irrelevant. Sorry. Yeah, if you are vegetarian from a young age you can't digest meat.
  • what's your rationale for cutting out red meat?

I am wondering the same thing? !
    cutting out red meats can help you avoid certain health issues. stroke is the first one that pops into my mind (as my 97 year old grandmother recently had ANOTHER stroke, it's the main one that sticks in my head). I'll try finding some articles to post about it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    One other piece of advice re: fish. Some fish are best when medium rare, rather than well done. Most white fish is great well done, but salmon is best left a little underdone and tuna steaks are just ruined if you cook them well done.
  • Grokette
    Options
    For all those who are convinced you need red meat I recommend that you watch Forks over knives. You can get all the nutrition that meat gives you from other foods. You do not need it.

You can not get Vitamin B12 from any other source other than animal products.

I was so deficient in Vitamin B12 when I was vegetarian that I could barely get out of bed. And I am one that does not like to take a lot of supplements, when I can just get what I need from my food.
  • fteale
    Options
    For all those who are convinced you need red meat I recommend that you watch Forks over knives. You can get all the nutrition that meat gives you from other foods. You do not need it.

I was so deficient in Vitamin B12 when I was vegetarian that I could barely get out of bed. And I am one that does not like to take a lot of supplements, when I can just get what I need from my food.

Marmite is full of B12. It's only strict vegans who don't eat yeast who have any problem with that.
  • personally, and no offence but i am not going to sit here and argue/defend my reasoning.
    It's my choice that I have chosen and it's what *I* feel is right for me. I was asking for suggestions as far as the new menu goes. Not for debating about my decision.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

No I don't need red meat I want it ! Preferably medium rare and tasty. Nothing wrong with red meat in the right portion size and if you are not eating it everyday.
  • fteale
    Options
    I would recommend getting a couple of good vegetarian cookery books. I could give you a mile long list of recipes, but it would take me an age to write, and the thread will get lost in 6 hours. Cranks bible is brilliant. If you are a good cook, so are the Rachael Demuth books.
  • Grokette
    Options
    personally, and no offence but i am not going to sit here and argue/defend my reasoning.
    It's my choice that I have chosen and it's what *I* feel is right for me. I was asking for suggestions as far as the new menu goes. Not for debating about my decision.

I just hate to see someone put their health and well being at risk by removing products from the eating plan based on myths and untruths.
  • Grokette
    Options

Marmite is full of B12. It's only strict vegans who don't eat yeast who have any problem with that.

Actually, Marmite only supplies 25% of the daily recommended B12.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    As I enter this thread, I do an about face and walk back out for I do not wish to get into an arguement with the anti-animal eaters that are abundant on this site.

There is just a no-win situation with this.

/closes door on way out
  • paulsmn
    paulsmn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Grilled fish is really good. there is always buffalo (bison) venison and red meats are fine if you keep at 6 oz
  • Grokette
    Options
    As I enter this thread, I do an about face and walk back out for I do not wish to get into an arguement with the anti-animal eaters that are abundant on this site.

There is just a no-win situation with this.

/closes door on way out

I am right behind you. I just shake my head as I have been there and done that. Never again will I sacrifice my health based on things that are myths and lies being told to people for a greater agenda.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    To the OP if you are going to cut out meats eventually, you probably want to start thinking about a good source of protein for your kids and yourself. In the mean time, you can do a lot with fish & chicken without frying it. I grill both of them often no need to get fancy just sprinkle with seasonings or use a store bought marinade. Salmon & Tilapia are both great baked or grilled with simple seasonings (garlic powder, lemon pepper, parsley......)
  • lizziterlizzi
    Options
    I did this for a year, I cut out all meats and it was hard at first but eventually you get used to it and trust me you will feel great! I love cooking salmon, just use some salt, pepper and lemon juice and bake it in the oven. Also scalops on some whole wheat pasta is always a delicious dinner!

Until you cut out meat altogether you can also try coconut chicken, all you do is dip the chicken breasts in egg whites and then unsweetened coconut. Then you fry it lightly in coconut oil, my brothers nutritionist gave us this recipe and it is one of my favorite meals!
    Good Luck!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    personally, and no offence but i am not going to sit here and argue/defend my reasoning.

I think people were just curious as to the rationale. I was too.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Someone might have already said this, so if this has already been said then oops and sorry......but one could counter this and say to watch Fat Head to see the other side of things.