What do you think is the best pre workout and post workout meal?

Share your recepies and views to stay healthy and fit.

Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,795 Member
    Pre-workout is a scam. Just get some simple carbs like a banana, maybe a coffee.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,896 Member
    I think all day nutrition is the most important thing, and even that's mostly about averages over a few days or so. Timing of nutrients is much less important.

Possible exception: Protein timing can be somewhat more relevant for people over ages 60+ (not timing around workouts, spreading through the day vs. all in a shorter time).

Some people may be more energetic during the workout if they consume caffeine and/or simple carbs (like sugars) shortly before the workout. Try the experiment, see if it makes a difference for you.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 11,074 Member
    Pre-workout is a scam.

I think the question wasn't about pre-workout supplements, but rather meals eaten pre-workout (as in before the workout).

Some people feel they have more energy during exercise if they eat an hour or so before, others feel it doesn't matter.

Along that subject, a popular fitness idea is to that if you do cardio while in a fasted state, your body will automatically start breaking down bodyfat to use as fuel. This has been debunked by science. So now you're back to the original question of whether to eat before a workout or not, which is highly individual.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 508 Member
    I eat dinner for pre workout.
    For post workout I eat breakfast after a long rest.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,152 Member
    Some food a couple hours before training and some food after training. This isn’t rocket science so don’t make it complicated
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 394 Member
    I usually try to keep it light before a workout. Something like a banana, hard boiled egg, protein bar or yogurt. I don't want to be overly full while working out because it will kill any energy or motivation I have.

Post workout my go-to is usually chicken breast or eggs.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited October 4
    I keep it light before intense cardio like spin class. I’ve learned the hard way!
    I’ll eat a few hours before - I do a lot of greens and fish.

I’ll make sure during the day I’ve had enough protein. Post workout. Anything goes… I just try not to overindulge.
  • LoganBennett715
    LoganBennett715 Posts: 49 Member
    My dietician has told me that you shouldn't eat before eating heavy meals, it is always good to have exercises or work outs and later have your meal.
  • Bloodroot11
    Bloodroot11 Posts: 6 Member
    Same foods I always eat. I just need energy, and my diet is dialed in. Coffee gives me a boost, too.