bye bye red meats

Options
124»

Replies

• bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I cut out red meat years ago. In fact I've no cut out all meat. I love grilled salmon or baked cod. YUM . . . .
  • personally, and no offence but i am not going to sit here and argue/defend my reasoning.
    It's my choice that I have chosen and it's what *I* feel is right for me. I was asking for suggestions as far as the new menu goes. Not for debating about my decision.

I agree! Everyone eats differently and we all need to do what works best for us. I thought some of the posts were pretty harsh and out of line.

I'm pretty sure the posts were harsh based on the reasoning behind the claim, not the claim itself. Let's make a quick example of it here:

1) I'm deciding to not eat red meat anymore

^----Ok, good for you.

2) I'm deciding to not eat red meat anymore because it's unhealthy

^----Red flag.

Making false claims is the problem, not the choice of cutting out meat.
    Good lord does it really matter? if you dont agree then walk away. i dont care. it doesnt matter my reasoning or if anyone agrees with my reasoning. either reply in a helpful manner or be productive elseware! pretty simple!
  • Isn't there a cholesterol issue with red meat? (I have low cholesterol, so I've never paid attention)

I buy a quarter beef every other year or so from a friend who grows them, so no hormones, grass fed not corn fed (makes them fat), barley finished (tastes like beer), and lived their entire lives less than 5 miles from my house.

An alternative strategy may be to have turkey burger instead of hamburger, and sirloin steak (the best one health wise) once in a while as a treat. Venison and elk is really good. Still red though.
    yes. there is also cholesterol issues with red meat
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    Life's too short to cut out the simple pleasures we all enjoy to include a nice steak, ribs, roast , etc , etc. That's not to say eat red meat every day. It's to say it's all good in moderation. I probably eat red meat twice a week if that.

Red Meat, or any meat for that matter is not a simple pleasure for some of us....I didn't give up anything I didn't want to... <Wrapping my arms around my man like a good backrest should and riding off into the sunset>
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    While you are still eating meat, try the ground turkey (I get the 99/1% fat) as a substitute for ground beef; if you spice it up, it really isn't bad. I put Mrs. Dash for steak in mine. Obviously, you want to get chicken breasts which taste great baked; coat chicken with 1 tsp oil and sprinkle with Bell's turkey seasoning and some Mrs. Dash for chicken. Boil 2 oz of pasta, add some marinara sauce when done, and fry up some frozen vegetables, also adding some of the Mrs. Dash for chicken - it creates a unity of flavor on the plate. Also, I like to pan-fry turkey cutlets with either Pam or 1 tsp olive oil. Try every single one of the Mrs. Dash seasonings, because you can get some really great flavors and you can even mix them together.

My favorite non-meat lunch is a mock-tuna sandwich: one serving is - 1/2 cup garbanzo beans from a can, pulse it in the food processor, or simply chop (do not mash) with a knife. Mix with some Vegenaise or mayo, a little spice like garlic powder and onion powder, add some alfalfa sprouts if you like, and put it on some nice bread or in a whole-wheat pita pocket. Yum! You really think you are eating a tuna sandwich. You can get lots of non meat recipes from Dr. John McDougall's website. Best of luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    personally, and no offence but i am not going to sit here and argue/defend my reasoning.
    It's my choice that I have chosen and it's what *I* feel is right for me. I was asking for suggestions as far as the new menu goes. Not for debating about my decision.
    That's fine, but if you are making assumptions that red meat is the CAUSE of your families dilemas, then without scientific peer reviewed evidence, what you are stating is opinion.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Dietary cholesterol has no effect on your LDL/HDL profile. This has more to do with trans fatty acids.
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Where's the icon of the smiley eating popcorn when you need one?
    Eventhough I dont eat popcorn, how bout a smiley eating a steak or bacon??
  • skye15
    skye15 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey!! I absolutely love eating fish, pretty much my main diet

Tuna (Steaks)
    brush it with olive oil, pepper, salt
    sear it on a fry pan for 1 minute each side

Slice! Now this mean it is rare! The inside is usually very pink, but you just cannot eat tuna cooked(YUCK)
    Serve with a salad, avocado etc

Salmon
    Usually I just brush it with olive oil, and pop it in the oven until it flakes easily, but you could also make salmon cakes! Serve it with a squeeze of lemon, or make a garlic aoli sauce

Red Snapper/Mackerel
    I love red snapper, but It is usually pretty expensive..when I do get it, I buy the whole fish, cut slits in it and stuff it with lemon, thyme, garlic and roast it. You will know when it is done because again the the fish meat will flake. I do the same with mackerel but I just wanted to note mackerel is VERY healthy for you. Lot's of omega 3 fatty acids as well as cheap in price.

Lastly, Shrimp, crab legs, lobster,squid
    I like to do a quick boil, then a sear, with a pinch of butter :) but so many ways you could make them.

Also check out Skinnytastes.com! A great site for healthy meal, and easy recipes for cooking seafood. Sorry if this so long, I hope I helped somewhat :)
  • RangerSteve
    Options

Good lord does it really matter? if you dont agree then walk away. i dont care. it doesnt matter my reasoning or if anyone agrees with my reasoning. either reply in a helpful manner or be productive elseware! pretty simple!

Nothing REALLY matters.

However, when you're posting online in a public forum, there will be people who will challenge your views if they're false. That's the way the world works. If you want to believe things that are true/untrue, I doubt many people will care. When you air your views to the rest of the world (online) then expect for people to respond. Like I explained in my post above, I really doubt anyone is against you deciding against red meat. What people are against is the claim that red meat is unhealthy because it's not.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

No, there is CORRELATION between cholesterol issues and red meat.

That's the problem with your posts here and what I was trying to explain earlier. Making claims like this just adds mis-information to the stockpile of mis-information that is already a mile high.

If I asked 50 couch potatoes who didn't exercise at all and that were obese what they ate for breakfast, would I assume that their breakfast food is what caused their health problems? Of course not. This is the same argument that was made against eggs in the 90's. Yep, obese people might eat more eggs than people of average weight. Does that make eggs unhealthy? No.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    im cutting out red meats from my diet (and will eventually cut all meats out). YIKES!
    NOW WHAT?!
    haha! my BF loves steak, ribs, hamburgers, etc. etc. But because of my family's health history, im cutting it out of the menu. at least for me and my kids.

This is going to change everything. We eat red meat all the time!

I plan to go grocery shoppin at some point this weekend. and I need some suggestions for new meal ideas!
    I do NOT have a whole foods, or organic food market, etc. anywhere near me. I have a WalMart and a Crest foods (carries basically the same things walmart does)

HELP! I love fish...but have never had it prepared in a way that wasnt fried. but i hear fish is really good for you. I dont have any clue how to prepare it!
    any and all suggestions are welcome...

Also I hear about hummus ALL THE TIME! Can i get that at walmart? Where is it at?

I cut out all animal products from my diet almost two years ago and have NEVER felt better in my life! My cholesterol is down and I'm no longer anemia - yes, from NOT eating red meat!

Before I went vegan, I had greatly reduced the amount of meat my family ate. We only had red meat two or three times in a two week period and the rest of the meals were chicken, fish, or veggie. I also started using meat as an ingredient rather than allowing it to be the "star" of the plate. I think that helped ease the transition for my husband and kids.

My family loves grilled portobello mushroom "burgers" - I will have grilled onions and peppers, whole wheat Kaiser buns, and all sorts of fixings to go on them (cheese for the omnis) and my kids and husband love them. I started by making them in addition to regular burgers, but they were picking the mushrooms instead of the burgers, so....

We love fish and I don't think in all my 26 years of being married I've ever fried it (and we live in South Louisiana). I will season it with different seasonings - I have a citrus basil seasoning blend that is a favorite - and will either pan-saute' it with just a spritz of oil or I'll bake or broil it. Fish TACOS! My family loves those! Sprinkle on some southwest or taco seasoning and cook your fish in a pan (again with only a spritz of oil) and break it into pieces so it can be easily spooned into the taco shells or tortillas. The key to fish is not to overcook it. If your BF likes steak, an occasional splurge for a good ahi tuna steak may be in order - it's best cooked medium rare to keep it from drying out. Great steak substitute.

Other ideas: Stir-fries, a hearty veggie chili, homemade pizza loaded with yummy veggies and served with or without cheese (I make mine without), whole grain pasta dishes.

Hummus is absolutely delicious and our WalMart has a few different brands. I prefer the Sabra brand. They also have Athenos, but I don't like it at all. They have different varieties of the Sabra hummus. You can eat it with pita bread or pita chips, but it's healthier to use veggie dippers - red bell pepper, carrots, and cucumbers are my favorite dippers. I will also use hummus on a sandwich, much like a soft goat cheese. Hummus, a mound of fresh baby spinach leaves, super thin slices of cucumber and red bell pepper. Super yummy!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    personally, and no offence but i am not going to sit here and argue/defend my reasoning.

I agree! Everyone eats differently and we all need to do what works best for us. I thought some of the posts were pretty harsh and out of line.

I'm pretty sure the posts were harsh based on the reasoning behind the claim, not the claim itself. Let's make a quick example of it here:

1) I'm deciding to not eat red meat anymore

^----Ok, good for you.

2) I'm deciding to not eat red meat anymore because it's unhealthy

^----Red flag.

Making false claims is the problem, not the choice of cutting out meat.

The OP was asking for recipes not anyone's opinion of her choice. If you don't have any recipes then why bother posting. She didn't ask anyone else to make the same decision. She was just asking for meal suggestions.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    For all those who are convinced you need red meat I recommend that you watch Forks over knives. You can get all the nutrition that meat gives you from other foods. You do not need it.

Great doc. I also enjoyed food inc., and fat, sick, and nearly dead. Veggies rule baby!
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    For all those who are convinced you need red meat I recommend that you watch Forks over knives. You can get all the nutrition that meat gives you from other foods. You do not need it.

You can not get Vitamin B12 from any other source other than animal products.

I was so deficient in Vitamin B12 when I was vegetarian that I could barely get out of bed. And I am one that does not like to take a lot of supplements, when I can just get what I need from my food.

Marmite is full of B12. It's only strict vegans who don't eat yeast who have any problem with that.

Actually, Marmite only supplies 25% of the daily recommended B12.

I love red meat, but I drank an absolute zero monster today and it had 100% daily value of vitamin b12 :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time digesting red meat for whatever reason. I'm not a vegetarian, and never was one for very long. I limit my red meat consumption.

I sometimes have digestive troubles with red meat too. Especially if I eat a lot of it or it's very fatty. So, I only occasionally eat lean red meats.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

The OP was asking for recipes not anyone's opinion of her choice. If you don't have any recipes then why bother posting. She didn't ask anyone else to make the same decision. She was just asking for meal suggestions.

Learn to read. Thanks.
  • ttrttrttr
    Options

amen to that and something I learned from it was the myth about needing meat for protein.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating meat 6 months ago and never looked back. I feel Grrreat! :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

amen to that and something I learned from it was the myth about needing meat for protein.
    You need cholesterol in your diet (yes it's true) and you cannot get that from plant sources.