5'9 or taller women

Options
For those who fit the title- What is your goal weight ?
At first I thought I wanted to get to 150-160 because I've read that that is a healthy range for a 5'9 female. But I found some old photo today of me pregnant (with my first child). I was probably 4-5 months pregnant and at least 180lbs, and I looked amazing... despite the growing belly! Me face was skinny, arms were skinny, etc. But I've never seen below 170-180 that I can remember, and who knows, I may look better at my original goal of 160ish.

Anyways...I'm just curious what others thoughts/goals are. I've tried turning to my family for support and i'm not sure if it's a jealousy thing (because I'm trying to better myself), or if it's because 99% of my family is obese (morbidly 350-400lbs) and TO THEM, under 200lbs is "too small" but I get no support. My dad says "you'll looks disgustingly anorexic at that weight!" (when I told him I wanted to AT LEAST get back down to 170ish).

So...MFP is all I have! (:

Replies

• u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and I have set my goal weight to 160, but I had a nutritionist tell me that I may decide when I get to 170 that that is good enough and leave it at that. I guess I'll see when I get there. I got down to 183 several years ago and I know I still needed to lose some at that point, so I'm thinking somewhere in the 160's will be good for me.
  • Maurey
    Maurey Posts: 44
    Options
    I am 5'10 and would like to get down to 160 lbs. I am currently at 171.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Oh dear your dad would hate me then 5"10 105..I know I'm not healthy but it just made me kind of laugh when I read it. do whatever you feel is right for you when you get there. Honestly a friend of mine lost a lot of weight and she tried telling me she was still above her bmi.I didnt believe it, but I was just so used to seeing her that way plus with the extra skin(she is tall to) so do what you want!
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'9 and my goal weight is 150. Possibly 140. I'll re-evaluate once I get there I guess.
  • McHeather
    McHeather Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 - 37 years old - and my original goal was 160. I'd always hovered around 180 the last 15 years - was 205 after my kids who are now 8 and 6. Right now I'm 156 super happy and sexy and am trying for more. I think I Iook great in clothes, but I still have belly and back fat I'd like to see if I can get it off. I can wear size 10 snugly and would like them to be a bit more comfortable. I say do what is right for you. My wii fit says ideal for me is 148 and originally I thought no way - but I think it's doable. I do have some people telling me I don't need to lose more - my face, neck and shoulders have thinned out a lot, but I'm doing it the healthiest way I can having fun with it and being practical about it. I don't think I'll be anorexic - but I'll be muscular - I've already eliminated my tricep jiggle!
    Friend me if you want some extra tall women support =)
  • ratcuddler
    Options
    I am 6' even. When I was 18 I got down to 190 and I looked better thn I ever had before, but I knew I still needed to lode a bit more. I would love to be right around 170 as my goal weight.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am 6'0 and my goal weight is 185. About ten years ago, I got down to 165-170 and I looked pretty weird. I think a lot depends on your frame too. My sister is an inch taller than me and runs around 155-165 and looks good, but she is long and willowy. I put on muscle really easily, so I am just built more solid than she is. It is really not about a number on a scale, it is about where you look and feel good!
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It is all so individual and personal for all of us. I am 6'2" and set my goal at 180. I have reached that, and am curious to see if I can get to 170. However, I am finding it VERY difficult, as it is hard to track calories with a busier schedule. I am happy at this weight, am continuing to eat decent and exercise. The biggest thing for me was lifting with cardio at least 3x a week. This has given me muscles! I love that feeling. Good luck! Don't let your family get you down. You are worth the effort this will take.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and my goal range is 140-145.
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and 187. My initial goal weight is 175, I'm not so sure I want to stop there now. I think I want to be 155-165...That's penciled in, I'll decide when I reach 175...Also, I am very hippy and top heavy!
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and am currently 190lbs. I see TONS of room for more improvement and feel my best weight is between 150-160lbs.
    I was 135lbs right before being pregnant in 2006 and I remember being TOO thin so I know 150-160 for me is perfect! Only 30lbs to go before I reach my 160lbs goal.
  • dontletmegetme
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I have my goal weight set at 125 pounds(BMI 18.5). I know that sounds really low, but I have a small frame. Everyone's different though. I know girls who are my height that weight a lot more than I do and they look amazing.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9'' and currently 164lbs.

I feel pretty good now, but my first goal weight is 160lbs. From there, I want to get to 150-155lbs.

I am muscular by nature, and don't want to look waif-like. When I got married at 155lbs I looked great, so when I see that again, I'll be happy.

Best wishes to you ... and at the end of the day - do what YOU want to do :)
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and originally my goal was 140 (from 167) but I am now at about 130 and I like it. I could use more muscle now, though so I may get up to 135-140 eventually.
  • blink182_mouse
    blink182_mouse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'9 and my goal ultimate goal weight is to be 145. I could stop at 158 if I wanted and I would be a great size. I've been down to 133 and is was unhealthy. Get down to 170 and change your goal if you think you still want to loose more.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    I'm 5'9.5'' (hey that extra 0.5 HAS to be counted!) my GW and my usual weight is 53-54kg (116-119lb). I have been 50-52kg (110-115lb) and it is too skinny. 53/54 seems to be the magic weight for me it terms of how I look and before I get the 'too skinny' comments :)
    But it wouldnt suit most people, my weight that is, it just suits my body type :D
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and 164lbs. I feel good but I definitely have some problem areas I can't seem to get rid of. I think I need to lose about 15 more pounds to be where I want.
  • dontletmegetme
    Options
    I'm 5'9.5'' (hey that extra 0.5 HAS to be counted!) my GW and my usual weight is 53-54kg (116-119lb). I have been 50-52kg (110-115lb) and it is too skinny. 53/54 seems to be the magic weight for me it terms of how I look and before I get the 'too skinny' comments :)
    But it wouldnt suit most people, my weight that is, it just suits my body type :D

You must be very tiny! I usually get the "too skinny" comments around 125 even though that's a healthy weight for 5'9" My lowest weight was 115 when I was suffering from an eating disorder.
  • Bluestar083
    Options

You must be very tiny! I usually get the "too skinny" comments around 125 even though that's a healthy weight for 5'9" My lowest weight was 115 when I was suffering from an eating disorder.
    I am-my wrists are the same size of the 9 year old girl I use to nanny...when she was 7! I have a small frame-yet large hips! Well large compared the the rest of my body, 2 dress sizes bigger. My sister is the same-can't fight genetics :D
    When I had a borderline ED I was 48kg (105lb).
    But as i said my body type is very different to most people. I have small framed parents and grandparents. I dont think my weight looks good on most people, but it does look good on me.
    My good friend who is slim is 60kg (132lb) and she looks FANTASTIC. And my 5'7'' sister weighs the same and looks FANTASTIC (she is a different build to my parents and brother and I-except we have the same hips)
    So each body is different.
  • Staceyblewin
    Staceyblewin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2'' and originally my goal was 200lbs until I saw my that the healthy weight for my height is 175lbs. I will aim for 175lbs but if I like how I look at 200lbs, I will probably relax a bit.