Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - October Challenge!! (One year

Hey ladies and gents! Can you believe it's been ONE FULL YEAR since these challenges begun? How the times flies when you're having fun! :wink: In the process I have met so many amazing women and benefited from incredible support and friendship. I am very hopeful that that will continue through October and into the new year. Let's make this one count, folks!

My usual schpeel:
As with the challenges that have come before, this is a place where MFPals can search out support, motivation, and advice while they are working towards their own personal goals. You're encouraged to set your own targets based on what is important to you and what challenges you face that you hope to overcome - set out goals for the month, make them attainable, and then just keep coming back to update us on your progress, help motivate others, and kick some serious *kitten*!!

Here's the 'skinny' on how this group works....

1) As our veteran members (and newbs alike) sign onto the challenge once again, a list like the one found at the bottom of this post will start forming. This is our “goals list”. If you want to join the challenge, we ask that you copy and paste the most up-to-date list and tag your own screen name and goals onto the bottom – this is so that we can keep things moving along and no one gets left behind! (If you notice that someone's been left off, due to a high volume of posting, please incorporate their goals back into the list whenever possible.)

2) Set attainable and realistic goals! I cannot stress this enough, and we will regularly be posting PSAs (as always) to this effect, but I am going to throw it out there right now just so that we're clear. This group is dedicated to supporting healthy living, first and foremost, and that includes physical, emotional and mental health. So set goals that you know you can reach, with hard work and persistence, and find ways to celebrate small victories whenever you can. This will help you stay motivated and on track! We recommend setting some non-scale goals along with a scale goal if you are trying to lose weight – seeing progress in your fitness, your measurements and your diet is a great way to celebrate small changes in your life that make a HUGE difference. Be flexible, know that things aren't going to go perfectly as planned every day, and allow some wiggle room for a bad day here and there. We all have them!

3) Once your goals are posted, stay active and enjoy the benefits of this awesome community. Oh, and invite your 20-something friends! Let's keep this group moving, ladies!

Before we get started, here's the list we compiled in September - and let's be honest, September was a very slack month for many of us! Especially with regards to the thread :blushing: But hey - We all get busy, myself included :tongue:

So - How'd you do?!?
mkingraham (Megan)- Keep up the 15k training plan, complete my 10k on 9/24, make my workouts a priority even when I'm on the cruise, get into ONEderland
meagalayne- Ice and stretch as needed and try to incorporate core and upper body work into your weekly routine; drink more H20 than you did in August; run on Sept 18th ONLY if your foot is healing/healed and if you are capable of doing so without risking further injury; continue not logging food and be good to yourself
elksy- Run 5k three times a week, start logging faithfully, develop healthy attitudes towards food.
abby459- lose 5lbs in September; run my first 5K, keep working out at least 5 days/week.
jillybeanruns - Continue training for my marathon and train smart; keep up with PT exercises, stretch/do yoga, and ice; strength train a minimum of 2x a week; 96 oz of water minimum a day; work harder to get my net cals up on long run/high burn days;
greenb trying to get back to 150 lbs. I'm currently 209; I've already lost 6.8 lbs. I also want to run a 5k and work out atleast 4x a week.
GreenHumanClay continue Jogging 3xs/week, Drinking plenty of h20 64. oz. minimum, Continue practicing Bikram Yoga 3xs/week, more rest 7-8 hrs, not obsess over the scale, hiking or mt. biking 2-4 times per month and be nicer and loving to my self.
cmg2008: continue to run at least 3 days a week, get into the low 130s, and try not to get stressed out over grad school =D
imarunner8908-track at least 5 days a week, lose 10lbs (5 that I gained last month and 5 more)
KanCrav~Loose my last pound.. stick with my strength training.. get back in the habit of working out at least 4times a week.
lalonmeg000-drink 2 full nalgene bottles of water everyday! which means it has to come with me to class , only 2 meals out to eat a week, eat something for breakfast everyday
GuamGrly~ (Bethany) - start and continue C25K training, 8 oz. of water per day, 60-90 minutes per week of additional exercise, eat out no more than 2 days per week, and lose 5 pounds this month. Going big or going home this month!!
emmarie- exercise!!, get back to bootcamp, solid dinners, get the hang of my schedule, don't stress!
lexgem - keep up with ripped in 30 and be able to do level 3 by the end of the month, lose 2 pounds, join a capoeira class
lostalykat- Lose 5 pounds, strength train 2 times a week, start half-marathon training for fun and just focus on eating healthy tasty food.
theperfectratio-get to 160, complete 30DS, work my way up to running 3 miles every few days on the treadmill (not necessarily on C25K though)
Kntu- get to 140lbs, aqua jog 2x week and swim 1x week, and feel more confident/comfortable in high waisted jeans

Post your results, along with a copy of the new list and your new goals for October. Please copy and paste the list as we go and tag onto the end to keep things moving. If you aren't sure, just ask, and one of the vets around here will help to set you up and get you started! Oh - And Welcome! :flowerforyou: To those new and returning, of course. Nothing but awesomeness, honesty and lots of support here.

If you are looking for a stellar community of supportive ladies who know the trials and tribulations of healthy living, finding balance, and being exponentially more kick *kitten* than the rest, you're in the right place! All we ask is that you take some time each and every day to remember why this journey is important to you and rededicate yourself to living a healthy, active and happy life.

Good luck to all you lovely ladies (and gents!) :heart: Make this month count!
Meag

Replies

• abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    I am definately back again for October!!!

My september goals were:
    abby459- lose 5lbs in September; run my first 5K, keep working out at least 5 days/week.
    I havent run my official 5k yet...its on wednesday of this coming week!! But I am running up to 7 miles now with only about 10mins of walking...which is a HUGE improvement for me. I lost 4.5lbs in Sept. I'll take it!! My loss is always slow. But the one goal I did meet...I have been working out a minimum of 5 days a week this whole month and sometimes 6 days!!

October Goals:
    I would like to see 140lb on my scale by the end of this month (even if its 140.9!!!) 140 is my half-way point to my ultimate goal. For my 5K next week (1st one!!) I want to finish without walking at all and would love it if I could be under 30mins. I want to keep up my running and would like to be able to make 5miles without walking by the end of the month. I think thats it for my goals this month...but if I think of anything else I will post it later!!

Good luck to everyone and I look forwards to seeing everyones goals!!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Quick post and update...

My Sept goals were:
    meagalayne- Ice and stretch as needed and try to incorporate core and upper body work into your weekly routine; drink more H20 than you did in August; run on Sept 18th ONLY if your foot is healing/healed and if you are capable of doing so without risking further injury; continue not logging food and be good to yourself

Ok so I failed on pretty much all of them. And by failed, I mean "revised"... I DID run my Sept 18th 1/2 Marathon and I kicked some major *kitten*. My foot was healing and feeling good and I did not incur any significant injuries as a result, so bonus on that one. I've been tryyyying to be good to myself, but I'm back to logging. I needed it post-race because I just kept on gaining and felt like I was ballooning up. Yea yea.. Crazy talk! I know :noway:

I have been trying to get water in and always keep a bottle on my desk but it's tough. Switched my afternoon coffee to herbal tea in an effort to drink more clear liquids, and been guzzling it back whenever I remember. But honestly, not great shakes on that one. Icing and stretching... Yea. Not so much. But I do try to stretch after every spin class and most runs, when I have time and remember. A work in progress! I have been doing core workouts every few days and when I remember, as well

Here's me kickin' off the list for Oct. Join in!

abby459- see 140lbs on the scale, finish 5K race without walking and under 30mins, aim to run 5miles without walking
    meagalayne- drink more water than I did in September, continue to increase core strength, trail run and spin each at least once a week, and take a proper lunch break at work twice a week (ie: don't kill yourself working 9 hours straight)

Keep on posting folks - Get your goals in! :heart:
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    And we are back !!!! I took a look at my september goals and I am pleasantly impressed! Not perfect but I have definatly gotten better at getting water in and eating breakfast :)

October goals:

abby459- see 140lbs on the scale, finish 5K race without walking and under 30mins, aim to run 5miles without walking
    meagalayne- drink more water than I did in September, continue to increase core strength, trail run and spin each at least once a week, and take a proper lunch break at work twice a week (ie: don't kill yourself working 9 hours straight)
    Lalonmeg (meghan)- start back with the c25k program! Keep eating breakfast or at least pack something to go, cut back on the coffee intake. Try and wake up at similar time even days I don't open for work to keep a normal sleep schedule

AFM: this has been a pretty good week. Felt a little under the weather which curbed my appetite, but even when friends would get pizza or chicken strips at dinner I stuck with my salad! I have a new goal....Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader! I have the dance skills, I just need the body !!!! Just by having this long term goal (because it will be another 2 years before I can auditon) has really kept me in check! So to start the new month...

QOTD: what motivates you to make healthy choices even when the temptations are all around you?
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    September wasn't the greatest. I didn't lose any weight really. I did so-so on tracking. I vow to do better this month. I have some outside motivation...just hope it carries me through! :-) Hurray for a new month and a new me!
    October goals:

Lalonmeg (meghan)- start back with the c25k program! Keep eating breakfast or at least pack something to go, cut back on the coffee intake. Try and wake up at similar time even days I don't open for work to keep a normal sleep schedule
    Imarunner8908- Workout 2-3 days a week, continue tracking, WATER WATER WATER!
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Leela30 - get back to the measurements I had in April - losing an inch almost everywhere
  • meagalayne
    Hey Leela! Welcome back darling :flowerforyou: Happy to see your goals and your smiling face on the forum boards again!

Today has been good so far. Took a day for "me" today - I ended up sleeping until 9am because of a majorly late night last night. we were up until 3am. A member of the band The Strokes was turning tables at a local club and Tyler was crazy about it, so I obliged. I usually hate this type of event, especially when it means staying up until 3am or later the night before my long runs, but alas... Relationships are all about compromise right? It definitely pushed my whole day back by a few hours since I normally get up at 6am on weekends, so I've been feeling a bit stressed out, but otherwise good.

I got in a solid 8.45miles running in 85 minutes (somewhat slow for me but I intended to take it easy today), got home and got to baking my ciabatta loaf for dinner tonight, had a huge bowl of oats, showered and got ready, and then had some roasted beets, chicken and coleslaw to fuel up before my shopping trip. Finally found a few items that fit (shopping is tough stuff for me due to my proportions being very weird), and now I'm sitting at Starbucks enjoying some coffee and the feeling of being totally anonymous and at peace amongst the crowds. I kind of like feeling lost in a big crowd sometimes. Doesn't happen often but the white noise is strangely comforting.

I need to take afternoons to myself more often! :bigsmile: Just have to make the time...

Hope you're all having an amazing weekend. I'll be posting an update with all my recipes from the weekend later on. They include:

Fudgies (!!) and Peanut Flour Cakes
    Traditional Split Pea Soup
    and No-Knead Ciabatta Loaf

:glasses: Love it! Take care ladies :heart:
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Leela30 - get back to the measurements I had in April - losing an inch almost everywhere
    Mkingraham- keep up the 15k training program, stretch for ten minutes every evening, reprioritize strength training

Hello ladies! Sorry i didmt check in yesterday it was pretty busy over here. This morning i had my second 10k race and i shave 1:18 off my time! More importantly for me was that i ran the entire time! Thats right i ran for 75 minutes without stopping including pushing through a pretty hellacious side cramp for the last 1.2 miles. I am really surprised at how much i have improved as a runner in such a short amount of time. I have only been consistently running for 3 months now so i consider my accomplishments very successful. I have 2 more months until the 15k, which seems like a long and a short amount of time to add 3.1 miles to my longest distance. I am juzt looking forward to accomplishing someting that i never thought i would have been able to do! Have a great evening and i'll chat at you ladies in the am

Megan
  • abby459
    Megan- Awesome job!!! You have come a long way in a short time!!

Meagalyne - I would be elated if I could run over 8 miles, so to me your time is incredibly impressive!! Also, you are always cooking something that sounds soo yummy...where do you get all of your recipes? I am trying to cook more, so that I eat better!

AFM - yesterday I started my own version of a p90x and running hybrid. Basically its 3 days a week of running and 3 days a week of p90x. Takes me exactly to Dec 31st!!! Hopefully I can stick with it that long. And I am hoping that the added strength training will help me improve my endurance for my running.
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Going to the Y tomorrow to officially start my membership! I did the one week trial last week, AND I LOVED IT! Just what I needed :-)
  • Stephabee38
    Stephabee38 Posts: 24 Member
    Mkingraham- keep up the 15k training program, stretch for ten minutes every evening, reprioritize strength training
    stephabee- get into the lower 130s, start run the running group 2 a week, track food and exercise
  • meagalayne
    Yarg! I just wrote out a big long post and then my Chrome crashed and I lost everything *sigh* What a night! It's late so here's the short recap. I swear it was much longer and more enthusiastic last time around...

Megan - AWESOME! Your progress is impressive and you deserve to be proud. Don't worry about building up your endurance. It will come, and probably faster than you expect. Your body is likely ready and capable of completing the 15K right now. It's just a matter of finding your running confidence and pushing yourself through those last miles. I know you can do it :bigsmile: Come race day, you're going to kill it!

Abby - I'm a food JUNKIE! Seriously! In past months I used to post recipes all the time but with my new job and life being so overwhelming, food and fitness have taken a back burner most days. The past few weeks I've been trying to commit to making time for food and cooking experiments, because it really is something that I enjoy. Hopefully we'll be seeing more in the future. Most of my recipes are from health + fitness blogs I follow, however I usually make my own take on things anyway. Just great for ideas. I also have a lot of family staples that I've tweak for my own tastes...

Speaking of which - Here's the recipe we made last night for Traditional(ish) Split Pea Soup which I ate *WAY* too much of...Like honestly, so much I nearly made myself sick :blushing:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/357803-traditional-ish-split-pea-soup

And tonight we made theeeeeeese babies....
    IMAG0057.jpg
    OH MY GOSH! Inside-Out Peanut Butter Cup Cakes! Holy smokes were they good... Thanks to Moves'N'Munches blog for this amazing recipe. So easy! I made the fudgie topping yesterday and kept them in the freezer and then make the cakes tonight in about 2 mins + baking time. Super easy and only 145 calories each! Here's the skinny...

Fudgies - Ie: goo-ey dark chocolate heaven (46 cals each)
    8g of high quality unsweetened cocoa powder
    7g agave nectar
    splash (1-2g) of pure vanilla extract
    approx 12g of water (i just add a little at a time until I reach the desired consistency)

Combine the above in a small ramekin until it forms a rich, goo-ey paste and then transfer to a piece of plastic wrap, wrap it up, and freeze for a few hours or until you're cake comes out of the oven. They would also be amazing on ANYTHING else that is warm and needs a blast of chocolate. These little balls are intense and so rich. Perfect topping for a luxurious peanut flour cake....

Peanut Flour Cakes (99 cals each without sweetener) - Recipe makes 2 cakes
    45g peanut flour
    3 oz almond milk
    30g unsweetened applesauce
    1 tsp baking powder
    sweetener, sugar, agave, honey, etc to taste

Preheat the oven to 390F. Combine everything in a small mixing bowl and divide into 2 small-ish, greased or sprayed ramekins. Bake at 390F for 15 mins. Top with your fudgie and enjoy!

Seriously... AMAZING. Ahhhhhhmazing! It's like the most decadent 145 calorie dessert you'll ever have. I really wish I hadn't shared with Tyler. I wanted them both!

Eeek it's late. Heading out! Have a great Monday ladies! :heart:
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Meag- I am definatly going to be making those inside out PB cakes soon!
    Megan- awesome job on the run! That is such an inspiration, 75min WOW!
    Imarunner- great job on the gym membership! I love my gym and trainer, that really helps keep me in check !

AFM: quick post, I should be asleep right now! Tried having a "cheat day" which I did in the sence that
    I didn't worry about how much bread I ate...but still came out right at my calories, which is awsome!!! I can really tell this past week has helped me get back on track eating wise. Been packing my lunch and it's really helped. Also isn't it amazing how much more food you get when you eat healthy!? I mean I am like what else could I pack !? Hahaha is a good problem I guess. Busy week ahead but already excited for what the week brings! Hope y'all had a good weekend!
  • meagalayne
    My No-Knead Ciabatta loaf yesterday turned out great (again!) so here's the recipe for you lovelies. It's bread-y goodness and makes a 2lb loaf, so make sure you have a lot of friends to share it with. I'd call it 8-12 servings, depending on how much you like bread. I eat about 1/10th of it along with my meal and feel satisfied but that's not usually enough bread for most people. Just so you know!

2011-01-07145305.jpg
    Recipe courtesy of http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2010/12/no-knead-ciabatta-074-recipe-012.html

Now make it! :bigsmile: And enjoy!

Have a great Monday ladies - I'm heading out for what is bound to be a horrendous day at work (both of my colleagues are off this week due to emergency personal issues) and then hitting the gym for some yoga tonight. I was way under my cals yesterday so I'm not going to stress if I am over by a few (hundred) today. How're you folks doing this fine 3rd day of October?
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Meag- I am so glad to see you back to posting deliciousness that you try out first :tongue: Because it always sounds so good! Looks like you had a nice to yourself Sunday! I need myself one of these sooner rather than later! I must say racing two weekends in a row is a little exhausting because you don't get to pick the time or location of the run. I am sure you will do great at work today managing all of the craziness of the office!

lalonmeg- Its crazy how much more food that you get to eat when you pick healthy delicious foods to munch on! It sounds like you have really got this whole thing down lately and you should be very proud of that! And Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader is quite the goal, but I am sure you can do it!

AFM- I was suppose to run 4 miles today, but my knee and hips are still really sore from yesterdays run so I'm planning on taking a nice rest day to relax and let my body recoup. Then I will be right back at it! After this week I have a drop down week so I won't run anything over 4 miles next week. I still can't get over how well I am sticking to this training schedule. I can't believe I can run 6.2 miles! Its amazing! As you ladies can see I am still enjoying my runners high of finishing my race yesterday! :drinker: :bigsmile: Have a fantastic monday!

Megan:heart:
  • abby459
    Meag---thanks for the recipes!!! I love cooking new things...I have never made bread before but I might just have to try it...it looks so good!!! I am always up for cooking low cal versions of my favorite desserts!! Those PB cakes look amazing and I will be trying them soon!!
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    hi ladies!

for those of you who don't know me, my name is amy & i used to participate in kicking *kitten* challenges a few months back. i've decided to rejoin your group (if you'll have me!) for extra accountability. i admit that for a few months i disappeared for a while (i hit a major plateau and lost motivation), but i'm back and ready to continue to have success in weight loss & getting healthy!

a little about me: i'm 25, live in the south suburbs of chicago, and have already lost about 40lbs with MFP over the last year. it's been a slow process, but i'm happy with the success i've had thus far. some of my favorite things in life are music and traveling and i try to do both as much as possible. i help out a local band in my spare time (when i'm not working or working out) and i absolutely love it. i actually helped them get signed to a major record label & they're currently working on their debut album! so exciting! i also am standing up in one of my best friend's weddings next september, so that was just the kick i needed to continue kicking *kitten* and hitting my goals! i can't wait to see where the future takes me & i can't wait to share my journey with you all!

as for my goals for this month, i'd ideally like to lose about 7-8lbs this month so i'm going to strive for that as my goal, but i will honestly be happy with 5-6lbs. my body is still coming out of plateau so it's hard to tell what i'll be able to reach. i also want to keep myself accountable by logging everyday and working out at least 5 days a week for 45 mins to an hour. i know i can do this!

i'm excited to get to know all of you that i don't already know!

stephabee- get into the lower 130s, start run the running group 2 a week, track food and exercise
    miss_amy- lose 7-8lbs (or at least 5-6), log food every day & work out 5 days a week for at least 45 mins to an hour
  • drjennelle
    drjennelle Posts: 138 Member
    my dear long lost kicking a$$ers...

you welcomed me with open arms so many months ago and then i disappeared into a pile of dissertation and teaching responsibilities over the summer! BUT i have been back in full force since the start of september and realized that i BEST join this GLORIOUS accountability group again :)

some of you know that i am a lover of all things Turbo - Turbo Jam, Turbo Kick, and Turbo Fire and have recently started another format called PiYo by the same creator - Chalene Johnson (im actually getting certified to teach PiYo in two weeks! ive already been certified to teach Turbo Kick!). Chalene is an amazing person - not just a fitness guru but really a life coach in all ways. she put together this "30 Day Challenge" that helps to define your goals and take VERY real steps towards them to MAKE THEM HAPPEN! i started this challenge on October 1st and plan to try to it every month following if i can :) it's only day #3 and it's already changing my life :)

SO...long story short (for those of you don't know me yet, you'll see quickly that im uh...rather long winded) ;) - i am going to focus very specifically on my health and wellness goals here on this thread, which are a big part of my goals in the 30 Day Challenge! :)

jyopchick - follow my bootcamp program all the way through the 8 weeks (im on week #4 now), continue to work out at least 6 days a week, with as many DOUBLE "LCWs" (last chance workouts) as i can squeeze, and a 4lb weight loss by the end of the month (that's 1lb a week, which i KNOW i can do - i have done it in the past and i KNOW i can do it now!)

WOOT WOOT so ready for ROCKTOBER! :)
  • HelloKayla
    HelloKayla Posts: 12 Member
    Hello! I'm new to this group and would love to participate in your October Challenge! I hope I'm doing this right! Feel free to correct it if I didn't post our goals correctly. :)

Thanks to mkingraham for referring me!!!

miss_amy- lose 7-8lbs (or at least 5-6), log food every day & work out 5 days a week for at least 45 mins to an hour
    HelloKayla- make it to 130, drink at least 64 ounces of water each day, and work out at least 5 days a week!
  • theperfectratio
    theperfectratio Posts: 49 Member
    My goals:

theperfectratio-get to 160, complete 30DS, work my way up to running 3 miles every few days on the treadmill (not necessarily on C25K though)

Update on how I did:

I GOT TO 160!!!!!! :D:D:D I'm not done with 30DS and haven't gotten up to running 3 miles yet though...but I'm close on both ^_^
    HelloKayla- make it to 130, drink at least 64 ounces of water each day, and work out at least 5 days a week!
    theperfectratio-155 on the scale, drop 1-2 inches around the waist, run 3 miles w/o stopping. Eat CLEAN.
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Hey Ladies,

Sorry for not posting this weekend lots homework, dog training and basically just life. I hope I posted everyones goals on here correctly. As fas as September goes I did well with my exercise routine and h20 consumption, and not obsessing over the scale, I did not majorly FAIL with the sleeping goal, I definitely need more sleep. I love staying up late especially since I wait for the partner to get here but I have to get up early everyday so I usually regret going to sleep late at night, but oh well all I can do is try everyday.

As of this weekend I was able to run 5.5 miles non-stop with a total of 6 miles, boy was it challenging especially since it was so cold, and the air felt thick but managed to make it successfully. I really want to focus on distance and maybe in a few months on speed but for now I want to safely increase my distance and having the proper shoes now has made all the difference on comfort.
    I hope everyone has had a great start to October and I promise to write more this month and be more supportive until tomorrow hope you ladies have a wonderful Tuesday!!!:bigsmile:

theperfectratio-155 on the scale, drop 1-2 inches around the waist, run 3 miles w/o stopping. Eat CLEAN.
    jyopchick - follow my bootcamp program all the way through the 8 weeks, continue to work out at least 6 days a week, with as many DOUBLE "LCWs" (last chance workouts) as i can squeeze, and a 4lb weight loss by the end of the month.
    GreenHumanClay-Workout 5-6xs/per week with 4-5 of those workouts including running, increase my running distance to 7 miles non-stop, 2 5k's, consume more h20, and lose 3-5lbs and continue zig-zagging.